Lets cut to the truth, facts rule!

Newagebike

10 W
Hello everyone I am very new here and very thankful for all the knowledge all of you have given me as I have searched this forum and read so many posts of your knowledge, I really I mean that.

The topic to this post is the topic of the post and it is about truth. I do not care about your emotional opinion but rather care about your experiences and what you have learned.....this is all black and white logic leave emotion out please.

I post this because my motto has always been "believe nothing that I hear and only half of what you see".

To the chase,

From this webpage: http://www.hi-powercycles.com/hpc-revolution-m/
"It's HERE! The Ultimate Freeride/DH electric bike! If you live to explore the wilderness and great outdoors, you just found the ultimate machine! Ultra heavy duty 6061 T6 Aluminum frame, ultra lightweight 1500W mid drive system (only 68 lbs total bike weight),"

Here is a picture of the build.

2017_Revolution_M__73541.1480449219.jpg

Weight is bold and underlined above /\

I am a newbie and from my research I have not seen any full build ebikes that weigh 68 pounds, I know their ebike is aluminum but still I do not see the math.

I am a new to this technology but not new to technology can some one prove this or is it advertising BS.

Side note I have emailed this company at 10:31 am Sat EST and it is Mon 6ish p.m est and I have not got a reply. Truth can be a great thing or a revealing thing.

68 lbs isn't even close to approaching a lightweight electric build what's your question again?

edit: holy crap that thing's expensive. I bet it's fun, but you can get a much more powerful and longer range bike for less money by building yourself.

flat tire said:
68 lbs isn't even close to approaching a lightweight electric build what's your question again?

edit: holy crap that thing's expensive. I bet it's fun, but you can get a much more powerful and longer range bike for less money by building yourself.

Your reply was useless and obviously you did not read my post. I am thinking you want to be sarcastic I would say that it does not help.

Yeah, it may be a bit of an M O.

Anyway, my middrive was 66lbs and about 6kw, now <77lb and 7kw so I guess it's possible. Battery is what sends you over, and how much steel copper and iron you use. The middrive cant weigh much, so maybe that weight is w/o the battery or it's a small one.
Why don't you just confirm with them though? "From the horses mouth, you can see it's teeth"
My suggestion is to build your own for more power coupled with less weight and money, or at least save $ and buy custom from a smaller builder like you'll find here.

My Street bike is 69.5 lbs, built on a Trek Session 10 frame.

It is fed 20 000 watts everyday, well above 25 000 watts occasionnally.
Top speed above 70 Mph

So yes, I believe the weight they claim is true.
But no, it is not the ultimate of anything.

The point of my last reply is I don't know why you would be skeptical of a 68 lb build weight on a 1500w mid drive bike that comes with a <800Wh battery. It's perfectly reasonable. Also, that bike is laughably underpowered for the price.

How much research have you done, exactly, where you think that not only is 68 lbs a wildly unrealistic figure for a low power mid drive bike but that $9,000+ is a reasonable price? Clearly, very little. Frankly, with a budget:knowledge ratio like that, you might as well just buy it and see what happens. And that's a really weird concern for someone about to spend 9K on a bike anyway...like, oh, this bike is really awesome BUT it weighs 5 lbs more than they advertised! I can't buy it!

So going back to being helpful, the weight seems perfectly reasonable to me. The price doesn't--you could buy a 6KW Tangent drive + motor + throttle for 2.3K + battery and frame and you'll be doing circles around this thing for a fraction of the cost.

For comparison to show just how silly the price / performance on that bike is, the electric components of my bike cost under $1000 ($1300 with full 1.5kw battery vs 600Wh) and it goes almost 60 MPH with 5-6KW power and will out accelerate that $9000 bike all day long. If you can waste your money like that, I envy you.

I understand you guys' stance here, but do you understand op's potential stance? Im just reading some harshness.

Hpc is standup company from what I see. Never even seen a single complaint here, verifiable or not. Imagine yourself as them, and also as a potential buyer.

Money really isn't everything to many buyers, and apparently Hpc is worth a price in product service and support. Not everyone wants to build themself but may be leary of a potential fly by night company. Also not every wants to go 70 or even 40mph, or have neck breaking power either. Right?

Hpc is catering to people that don't want to build and/or possibly don't know how, and to be extendedly successful will need to keep a certain percentage of 'failure' customers happy- hence a price that's not undercut. In my thinking anyway- it's how I'd do it.

Me personally? Obviously I'm a builder/ hot rodder too- and a few grand goes a long way. But why shit on a decent company that's only asking their price?

Looks like a luna mighty mini chain ring and bbshd in a fairly righteous frame. How much does it cost?

Well the whole reason I got into that is because the chance that $9K is meaningless to the OP (both in his head AND in reality, because any crazy person can blow all their money immediately) is basically zip. Zero. Nada. You know why? Because if that money truly didn't matter, HE WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT ALREADY.

So yeah, he might be a fortunate early retiree and have a couple million in his 401(k) and he's just living the easy life. Even in that case you can't just go blowing $9K. You would literally have to be Trump rich to just drop that money on a bike with no concerns. Especially when you can build a BETTER one for less money and very, very little effort. AND, it's FUN!

The idea that all leads up to is buying this bike is tantamount not to financial suicide, exactly, but maybe cutting yourself. Or losing a finger. An arm? Or getting herpes, maybe. Anyway, you get the point.

It's absurdly poor value, and nobody on a DIY-focused ebike forum should ever in good faith condone someone buying something like that. It does look like a nicely put together package, and there's nothing wrong with it but the price...but my god, that price!

For me, it is not the price that bothers, but the poor performance and components quality that are advertized as "ultimate".

If one does build with new, best components available, a fast high power bike that is neat and reliable; it is worth every penny of the 9000$. It could even be more, with fancy design and theme. Then it could be called "Ultimate" without too much exageration. Ultimate, does mean none are built better, nor ride as good. It is a statement that is making you look like a crook, if it is not close to to be true.

Ok thanks people for taking the time to reply and help me, I appreciate it.

My calculations for my build with a steel enduro frame are below 110, I am hoping I am off by 20 or more to the low side

nutspecial said:
Hpc is standup company from what I see. Never even seen a single complaint here, verifiable or not.

I only know them as a outfit that makes exaggerated claims of power and performance. I've seen plenty of folks here pointing out the same.

I reckon if folks will abuse the truth to make a sale, what else will they be dishonest about?

flat tire said:
What all are you using?

I am building a fast ebike and I am starting with a enduro frame and that is how far I have got. Next I will be choosing the motor, not sure yet which one as this technology is popping out new stuff so fast. 8,000 to 10,000 watt motors are out there but I do not know enough about them to choose. I have time and there is no rush as this is a fun project.

What kind of specs does that bike have for $9,000?

Lets cut to the facts.

Is it a standard bbshd or is it one from Luna with the 2500 watt controller?

How big a battery?

Newagebike said:
fast ebike and I am starting with a enduro frame

QS205 v3.

mr.electric said:
What kind of specs does that bike have for $9,000?

Lets cut to the facts.

Is it a standard bbshd or is it one from Luna with the 2500 watt controller?

How big a battery?
I think that point's been beaten to death but with any combination of the above (or really even most bespoke hub motors) it would still be a gigantic ripoff. It's not just the electrics, the bicycle parts don't belong in a $9000 anything.

HPC are marketers and not engineers. They have been exaggerating and flat out lying about their products' performance for many years. As of late, they've stopped doing things like rating 35mm wide crystalyte motors at 5kW and MAC/BMC motors at 4000W, but they're still blowing low grade smoke.. they still have a black mark from me when they refused to admit they were lying the many times i proved they were.

The drive system looks like a bafang BBSHD to me. Bafang rates that drive at 1000W continuous and they will readily sell you one cranked to 2500w with a battery that is large enough to melt the motor during one long ride. So, the overselling is still going on.

As for the bike.. The aluminum frame could use some serious weigh optimization. The first versions of this frame were much worse. The company or person making it is still figuring out the art. Fork over 9 thousand bucks at your own risk.. or do like we do and build your own for 2 grand instead.. :p

Well said, I stand corrected on Hpc. I realized they were some of the highest priced (somebody will always be), but not on much past product and practice critique.

I have seen some nice bikes from them, and it's good if they're not presently egregiously inflating specs, and/or acting fools by not admitting it. Personally, I admit that for a ~$10k <2kw ebike I'd personally want something like a bosch or yamaha that's a purpose made ebike with all the latest bike and electric tech integration and the nicest warranty etc. Those bikes are damn nice- the 'best' imo if you are still using gravity as your primary propellant.

I guess that's the market Hpc wants with this bike, but am not interested enough to check how theirs stacks up- Especially now that Newagebike has mentioned intention towards more of a high power ride anyway. You're in the place for anything custom- from Kepler's friction drive to John Cr's monster motors!

Btw, we should all know by now that 'ultimate' 'best' 'absolute' etc etc are all highly subjective words and can even often be interpreted as good OR bad.

FWIW - my steel chinese electric enduro bike weighed in at around 80lbs on the bathroom scale with 12s 16ah lipo packs ready to ride. I was surprised to see it weigh so little. Makes me wonder about those scales.......

eflyersteve said:
FWIW - my steel chinese electric enduro bike weighed in at around 80lbs on the bathroom scale with 12s 16ah lipo packs ready to ride. I was surprised to see it weigh so little. Makes me wonder about those scales.......

Assuming that you have turnigy multistars based on what you said, that helps explain the lower weight than you expected. Those cells are around 200whrs/kg energy density which is excellent compared to most 18650 formulations of similar power density. 2C multistar is even more energy dense than that, but the power output is really bad unless you have a gargantuan sized pack.

skeetab5780 said:
Neptronix took the words out of my mouth.

Sorry bout that :lol:

Back