My 60mph ebike build

Newagebike

10 W
Hello, was not sure where to post this as my build will be more bike than moped?

I am starting this thread to show,learn and possible help. I am very new to the ebike scene and have been researching for a while and thought it time to make a thread to help push along my project, here we go!

My build is going to be that of a moped, remember the old Puch's, I had one back in the 80's and it would cruz in the 40's all day long and peak around 52mph, I of course modified it. Below is a picture of the exact model/color I had.

puch1.jpg

So my build is planned to be licensed so I can drive on the street with out any hassles just like my old Puch. To explain I want my ebike to be able to cruz on the roads 45 or less speed limit, flat Florida roads. It will just be a toy to take out, run errands, go to car shows,bike shows..ect and be able to cruz no problem in the speed range for short times around town that are max 45mpg.

Here is a picture of what I will be building around.

myebikebuild.jpg

Frame: EEB Enduro,black.
Forks: Tapered?
Motor: QS 205 H50 V3, 4T
Battery: 86V 28ah 20700 battery
Controller: ?
Wheels: moto 17"
Tires: Shinko 244
Crank: Schlumpf geared crankset
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb

So far this is all I have and would like any feedback, opinions, ideas to complete/adjust this. I will update this post going forward.

Thank you all for your time.

19" moto rim will be more than 22" OD. 24" is closer to reality, 25" if the tire is high profile.

Cromotor V3 is a QS 205 H50 V3 that is mod to shave weight, to make it 8.5 kg right? IMO it is too light to ride fast on long distances. You would have to add weight to it with means of cooling, like ferrofluid and cooling fins. It would also add cost to a motor that is very expansive already. It is like paying to save weight, and paying again to add weight. I suggest to go for the stock QS 205 H50 V3, cheap and good enough without any mod, and you will have a large variety of windings available to optimize your build.

I don't know about FLA, but there are not so many places where you can license a high power ebike. Most of us are riding illegal bikes, because they are in a grey zone between legal ebikes and motorcycles. Good for you if you can, but take information to make a conscious decision.

That is about it. Good luck with your build, and good ride.

MadRhino said:
19" moto rim will be more than 22" OD. 24" is closer to reality, 25" if the tire is high profile.

Cromotor V3 is a QS 205 H50 V3 that is mod to shave weight, to make it 8.5 kg right? IMO it is too light to ride fast on long distances. You would have to add weight to it with means of cooling, like ferrofluid and cooling fins. It would also add cost to a motor that is very expansive already. It is like paying to save weight, and paying again to add weight. I suggest to go for the stock QS 205 H50 V3, cheap and good enough without any mod, and you will have a large variety of windings available to optimize your build.

I don't know about FLA, but there are not so many places where you can license a high power ebike. Most of us are riding illegal bikes, because they are in a grey zone between legal ebikes and motorcycles. Good for you if you can, but take information to make a conscious decision.

That is about it. Good luck with your build, and good ride.

I'm wondering about making one street legal myself. I would think it needs a v.i.n number in the US. I thought he meant converting a moped to electric at first. That would be easy to get road legal.

Yep, here it is the same. Conversion of a moped or motorcycle that is registered already, does make it possible to licence your build. Yet, it does make a heavy bike.

Thanks for the info!
I will look into that motor for sure. As for licensing in Florida you register it as a Custom build Motorcycle, per the FL DMV: 320.01(27) "Motorcycle" means:
(27)…any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or a moped.

As for vin# you make up one.

Moped reg limits the mpg to 30 and I do not want to be going 45mpr and get pulled over and get a ticket.
I already have a motorcycle license so I am ready to go. The reason I want to reg it is it opens up the cool legal possibilities.

Ive made two motorized bicycles California street legal and plated/titled. Is it possible? Yes, would I do it again? No, not worth it. Time and cost are not worth the hassle. Getting a plate doesn't entitle you to anymore respect from drivers and it simply makes it easier for you to be ticketed. No VIN and no plate is hard to wright a ticket for. My advise is to get some pedals on there and just ride responsibly.

You'd probably not believe me if I told you..... ghost pedaling even at higher speeds, is an invisibility cloak.

I used to get pulled over by moto cops because I had a plate (they wanted to know why I had motorcycle plate on a bicycle).

Ive never been pulled over on either of my Stealth Bombers and I routinely hit 50 mph on them.

Make sure you are using heavy duty components, at those levels of speed failure can be catastrophic.

Anyway good luck on your build.

@st35326

"Ghost pedal" that is a new one to me and kinda funny. If I title it I would not have any pedals thus it would look more like some odd motorcycle IMHO. I do hear you though and will have to seriously consider your input.

The build will definitely be using heavy-duty parts.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

It is on their website, but you will have a better price and personalized service if you send a PM to Vito. He has a thread on the "for sale new" section of the forum, where he is giving all info about QS motors. He will direct you with a girl who can speak good english, and you will be able to define your requirements.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

flat tire said:
I like the build. How much battery capacity are you planning on?

Well the battery will depend on my motor choice which I have not finalized yet. I am thinking i will need a battery with 100v or more. Again Iam new to this ebike stuff so I am doing everything in steps. Frame, Motor,Wheels, Battery,Controller, Forks are on my list in the order. Already new the frame I am getting now I am working on which motor.

MadRhino said:
It is on their website, but you will have a better price and personalized service if you send a PM to Vito. He has a thread on the "for sale new" section of the forum, where he is giving all info about QS motors. He will direct you with a girl who can speak good english, and you will be able to define your requirements.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=65972

Thanks I will check it out.

You can easily hit 60 mph on 84 volts (20s). That seams to be the go to voltage now days. I have a QS 205 3.5T in a 17" rim running 20s 23 amp battery with a Max E. it does 60 mph before any flux weakening. In the past I was a 24s 100 volt guy and would again but the ease of 20s is nice.

I'd say you should be looking at a 30 amp pack at minimum of any high amp cell ( VTC 4, 5 or 6s, 25R etc.) but 40 amp would be better for any distance at 45 mph.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 4,538
litespeed said:
You can easily hit 60 mph on 84 volts (20s). That seams to be the go to voltage now days. I have a QS 205 3.5T in a 17" rim running 20s 23 amp battery with a Max E. it does 60 mph before any flux weakening. In the past I was a 24s 100 volt guy and would again but the ease of 20s is nice.

I'd say you should be looking at a 30 amp pack at minimum of any high amp cell ( VTC 4, 5 or 6s, 25R etc.) but 40 amp would be better for any distance at 45 mph.

Tom

Thanks, agree with you on the 40amp for sure.

litespeed said:

Tom

What wh/mile at 45mph are you getting with your QS205 3.5T/17" rim? I'm 3/4 the way through my build of the same setup right now.

-Jim

With more research done and another thread talking about powerful motors - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87881 - the motor of choice will be the QS 205 H50 V3 for my build. Question I have now has to do with a blog post: https://www.electricbike.com/large-hot-rod-hubmotors/ from a couple years back that talks about the different ways this motor can be ordered with different windings. Here is a quote from the blog I am talking about:

Another way in which this motor is very interesting is the many different Kv’s that the factory will wind the stator coils. This provides the builder with a LOT of options when trying to balance which voltage, tire-diameter, and top-speed you want. 72V X 100A = 7200W

This broad selection is a result of QS supplying the enormous electric motorcycle market in China, which has been booming due to a crackdown on pollution. Concern about poor air quality in the cities has resulted in 2-stroke gasoline engines being banned in many places

Model___Kv
7T______6.3
6T______7.3
5.5T_____8.1
5T______9.0
4T______11.5
3.5T_____13.3
3T______15.6

I really do not understand this stuff yet so what kv would be the right one for my build? How does the kv play into the over all performance of the motor?

Newagebike said:
With more research done and another thread talking about powerful motors - https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87881 - the motor of choice will be the QS 205 H50 V3 for my build. Question I have now has to do with a blog post: https://www.electricbike.com/large-hot-rod-hubmotors/ from a couple years back that talks about the different ways this motor can be ordered with different windings. Here is a quote from the blog I am talking about:

Another way in which this motor is very interesting is the many different Kv’s that the factory will wind the stator coils. This provides the builder with a LOT of options when trying to balance which voltage, tire-diameter, and top-speed you want. 72V X 100A = 7200W

This broad selection is a result of QS supplying the enormous electric motorcycle market in China, which has been booming due to a crackdown on pollution. Concern about poor air quality in the cities has resulted in 2-stroke gasoline engines being banned in many places

Model___Kv
7T______6.3
6T______7.3
5.5T_____8.1
5T______9.0
4T______11.5
3.5T_____13.3
3T______15.6

I really do not understand this stuff yet so what kv would be the right one for my build? How does the kv play into the over all performance of the motor?

KV tells you how fast the motor will turn under no load. For simplicity, assume 100V: The 7T motor will turn at 6.3x100=630RPM. To figure out how fast you'll go you need to know your tire diameter, plus add some loss in RPM due to load. Let's take a 20" outside diameter tire at 630RPM = 20"*pi=Circumference so ~63". 63" x 630 RPM= 39,690 inches of travel per minute. 1 mile is 63,360 inches. That's roughly 37mph, times a load factor of roughly 80% means roughly 30mph under load on the 7T motor at 100V.
The 3T motor at 100V will get you using the above method: 74MPH. The 3.5T = 63MPH. Again, assuming 20" outside diameter tire and 100V for simplicity.

Now... there are other things to consider like the power capability of the motor. The efficiency of the motor, etc.. the wire size and copper fill in the windings of the motor changes with the number of turns. So it's not "just" as simple as figuring out how fast you want to go, but it's a starting point.

-Jim

The more I research the more I am learning, I have an email into the company that makes the EEB about a aluminum version of that frame. Here is a link to the their website with a bike that says it is aluminum.

http://www.enduroebike.com/sale-590...ic-enduro-bike-defiant-electric-fat-bike.html

They replied to my first email about how much the steel version is with kickstand and it is $560 shipped and you can pay via PayPal or TT.

I like the idea of dealing direct with the manufacturer, it cost a little more but you push out the middleman and the possible problems that can happen.

I will post back when I hear from them on the aluminum version.

Don't put license plate on your bike you'll get tickets it will be impounded you will lose it. I ride a bomber in Florida 44 miles round trip to work.. keep it illegal you can ride anyhow you like. Street , sidewalk ,sides of canals, people's backyards no means of ticket even if you get pulled over but it's a bicycle. Police will not bother you . They are too busy . there's no means to ticket you. keep it that way . If you want a boring street legal electric bike get a zero

Newagebike said:
The more I research the more I am learning, I have an email into the company that makes the EEB about a aluminum version of that frame. Here is a link to the their website with a bike that says it is aluminum.

http://www.enduroebike.com/sale-590...ic-enduro-bike-defiant-electric-fat-bike.html

They replied to my first email about how much the steel version is with kickstand and it is $560 shipped and you can pay via PayPal or TT.

I like the idea of dealing direct with the manufacturer, it cost a little more but you push out the middleman and the possible problems that can happen.

I will post back when I hear from them on the aluminum version.

I'd recommend NOT buying directly from EEB. Buy it from Lunacycle and if anything isn't right you are dealing with an American company and can get support "locally". I also wouldn't want an aluminum frame version. It's harder to weld to. I have the steel EEB and just welded up a mounting bracket from my Mobipus controller. The weight difference isn't worth the strength reduction, cost increase, or hassle of aluminum for a bike with the kind of power you are looking at.

-Jim

I figured an aluminum frame would not be as strong but just am curious what it cost. Welding is no problem for me steel or aluminum. I will check out Luna.

FL bomber said:
Don't put license plate on your bike you'll get tickets it will be impounded you will lose it. I ride a bomber in Florida 44 miles round trip to work.. keep it illegal you can ride anyhow you like. Street , sidewalk ,sides of canals, people's backyards no means of ticket even if you get pulled over but it's a bicycle. Police will not bother you . They are too busy . there's no means to ticket you. keep it that way . If you want a boring street legal electric bike get a zero
I am curious how a bike could get impounded if it is legal? Also one point here is that the frame I will be using makes the bike look more like a cycle rather than a bike which I believe is going to make cops pull me over when riding as you do what frame are you using, could you share a pic of your bike?

Back