Thudbuster LT or ST for 700c E commuter bike

Hello All,

I finally got my bike built up and its working great. 700c tires hardtail with carbon front fork, 25mph commuting speed. The ride is comfortable, but my commute on the bikepath goes through a few areas of uneven pavement from tree roots under the path. Luna has the thudbuster seatposts on sale right now and curious if the LT is overkill for a commuter. I believe I have the room for the LT since I am tall and my seatpost is up quite high. The ST with just 1.3" of travel seems like it may not work for me, but figured others on here would know.

Anyone have both versions? I also see the Suntour version as well is an option.

Open to any advice or suggestions.

Marc

St user here. It protected the family jewels very well.
16m1thv.jpg

can't tell the difference. I never used the Lt.

I have the LT on my XL 700c Specialized and it is simply just awesome. I'm sure both would work but I like all things long travel!

Tom

They dont feel all that different. I had an ST originally, and thought Id get mmore quish from the LT...it just moves further, has roughly the same feel. Combine it with a springer saddle like a brooks, your ass and your 'old mate' will thank you on long rides! :D

I went ahead and ordered the LT version since the price was the same and I had the space for the larger swing arms. My seat is up pretty high so may as well take advantage of the space. Will see how it helps.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Marc

spiros said:
Sountur suspension seatpost is far better than the cane creek
Aw crap.. the reviews I read people complained about the noisy spring... Suppose either will work in the long run

The Thudbuster arrived today and its night and day difference. Im glad I bought it as it smoothed out the harsh ride of my 700c thin tires. Now I need to update my main chain ring to a bit larger as Im close to maxed out and its too easy to pedal at speed. I need a bit more resistance.

Marc

I have been using LT Thudbuster on my EPLUS 1000W for more than 2 years,
common issue with them is they start to squeak sooner or later and will get loose needing rebuild after 1000ends of kilometers.
Lubricating is essentilal , bushings should never be dry.

I have both of cane creek and sountour and sountour is far better and less expensive
The only advantage of cane creek is that it is a little less heavy but on a ebike this is not a really advantage

Suntour and keep $60 in your wallet.

I like the short travel for the road, but I weigh 170lbs. If you are taking bigger hits, LT can be fun.

I did put the ST on a full susplension bike once, and off road I could take some pretty big hits with lots of cush. Personally, the ST is plenty for me for a road bike. It does do a lot to make up for bikes that require skinny tires.

Back