Re locking my bike battery

modaniel

10 mW
Hello,

I was wondering if people have any suggestions about how to stop my bike battery being stolen? (when carrying with me is not an option)
Perhaps some ingenious ways of locking it?

n.b. I will be assembling my own battery.

Metal box that can be locked to carry it.

I've been building aluminum box panniers that will be lockable via BluetoothLE and app on iPhone. The battery pack will be mounted and riveted at the bottom of the pannier in it's own box. I designed it this way so that the pannier box would serve as one big heatsink and the $700 Luna battery pack is well protected from water, vibration, shifting, percussions, etc. It would take a fair amount circuit knowledge plus cutting and/or grinding to steal my ride and any attempt would not go unnoticed.

The Bluetooth actuator is a Lazybone v4 and the locks are 12v locks like what you'd see on touchpad combo lockers. I got the locks off aliexpress for $7 each (DC 12V 2A Electromagnetic Electric Control Cabinet Drawer Lockers Lock Latch Carbon Steel Black). To prevent removal from the exterior, the pannier boxes are blind bolted from the inside to the rack. The rack itself has a few anti-theft features on it as well- ball bearings in hex holes and a motion detector with GPS (iota tracker) with instant alerts on my iPhone. The master on-off switch is via Luna but I replaced the LED press switch with a camlock switch so I can use a key from the exterior. To charge the battery from the exterior, I have a surface mount XLR plug via Grintech.

I'll try to post project details within the next few weeks.

I use a wirelessly activated vibration alarm lock embedded inside my 18650 battery pack. Its worked flawlessly for at least a year and has even protected my ebike from being stolen/damaged/losing bits.
I took the plastic casing off to make the device smaller and the device is considerably smaller without all the casing as its normally designed to house a 9volt battery on top.

In fact I have a video of a guy running for dear life after trying to take stuff off my ebike. I got this video after talking to the building manager, he said that after the guy tried to visit a nearby location to buy drugs (but the dealer wasn't home) he got angry and then came down to the underground car park and went for my ebike. But he goes running only after the vibration alarm went off. It was the only vibration alarm I had on the ebike at the time. I now have a vibration steel lock as well.
Video here https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86441#p1265433

Its suppose to take a 9v battery but I just wired it to 2S lithium cells inside my 18650 ebike battery pack for about 8v. From testing this device seems to have a large voltage source tolerance of at least %20.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lock-Bicycle-Cycling-Bike-Security-Wireless-Remote-Control-Vibration-Alarm-Best-/121935421016?hash=item1c63eade58:g:cAMAAOSw2xRYgCmh
They could still possibly steal my ebike or battery but there going to be running around with it with a loud alarm going off looking and feeling like a fukhead.

Attachments

• 13bc294b-2b86-4fe8-b160-8d7397a7481c.jpg
    13bc294b-2b86-4fe8-b160-8d7397a7481c.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,531
Thank you guys for all your suggestions.
HamsterPower, I am keen to see your project!
Also, TheBestie your vibration alarm sounds like a great idea!

TheBestie,
I was wondering, do you think it would be easy to mod this alarm to ramp the volume up from 110dB to 130 or even 140db?

TheBeastie said:
I use a wirelessly activated vibration alarm lock embedded inside my 18650 battery pack. Its worked flawlessly for at least a year and has even protected my ebike from being stolen/damaged/losing bits.
I took the plastic casing off to make the device smaller and the device is considerably smaller without all the casing as its normally designed to house a 9volt battery on top.

In fact I have a video of a guy running for dear life after trying to take stuff off my ebike. I got this video after talking to the building manager, he said that after the guy tried to visit a nearby location to buy drugs (but the dealer wasn't home) he got angry and then came down to the underground car park and went for my ebike. But he goes running only after the vibration alarm went off. It was the only vibration alarm I had on the ebike at the time. I now have a vibration steel lock as well.

Its suppose to take a 9v battery but I just wired it to 2S lithium cells inside my 18650 ebike battery pack for about 8v. From testing this device seems to have a large voltage source tolerance of at least %20.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lock-Bicycle-Cycling-Bike-Security-Wireless-Remote-Control-Vibration-Alarm-Best-/121935421016?hash=item1c63eade58:g:cAMAAOSw2xRYgCmh
They could still possibly steal my ebike or battery but there going to be running around with it with a loud alarm going off looking and feeling like a fukhead.

modaniel said:
TheBestie,
I was wondering, do you think it would be easy to mod this alarm to ramp the volume up from 110dB to 130 or even 140db?
I guess if your keen enough anything is possible, I am not knowledgeable enough to mod it to do that.
I don't know which vibration alarm it was now but I remember playing replacing the battery in one with a fresh one and noticed it was considerably louder with a fresh battery installed.
Maybe if you got a variable DC voltage powersupply and test to see if upping the voltage makes it have more loudness kick. Maybe merely upped the voltage to 10v it would be louder, ideally it would be nice to be able to feed it 3S of lithium being maxed at 12.6v but that might be just too much voltage for the device, I don't know what its exact max tolerance is, I remember doing a bit of testing of voltages but what the absolutes were I don't remember, I just fed it 2S7P of the 18650 battery pack.

That Video Link did not work , E.S. Recently deleted many videos because they were taking up too much storage space.

Do you have it up on Youtube ?

TheBeastie said:

ScooterMan101 said:
That Video Link did not work ,
<snip>
Do you have it up on Youtube ?

The "video link" is to a post on ES that has both a link and embedded versions of the video, on youtube. ;)

I like vibration alarm locks, although they are most practical for locking up your bike in a garage or somewhere else where the bike sits alone as I have found when locking up my bike on a public bike like spot other cyclists feel remarkable comfortable about knocking your bike around when they are locking theses up.

I thought about this issue of accidental trigger a fair bit but I still activate my alarm locks even in dual-use bike lockup places because my alarm locks are set to take a reasonable amount of vibration, if the other cyclist is such a dick that he's going to knock around my bike beyond a reasonable amount then he's going to have to put up with 25seconds of alarm, I don't care.

https://youtu.be/8N2UxLvHMkw?t=21
^Alarm lock saving my bike bits, guy tries to take my bike like which was $10 but the vibration alarm goes off and he runs like all hell.

I ordered one of these off eBay for $33 AUD https://youtu.be/OxZplRxMrt4 , or at least a grey market one... Looks pretty cool, well priced and convenient.
Again these are just about convenient deterrents, nothing is perfect

Back