Bought a battery from Luna. Might be a dud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkplug

10 mW
I bought a 72v 14.5ah Panasonic pf battery. Went to plug it into the bike and noticed the xt-90 was wired backwards. So I got the soldering gun out and installed it correctly. Plugged it in but no power. Then put a multimeter on it and it read 64v
So tried the old 72v battery and all is well. I tried hooking the new dead battery up to charger thinking it might have been a tripped bms, but battery won't take a charge. I have emailed Luna but no response. I've never had a problem with them before, and they have always been helpful through email. Does anyone have any ideas? It's a very straight forward process. I just don't understand what the issue could be

There are two issues now that i can see..
1). You have "modified" /worked on a product that is new and presumeably under warranty.
The vendor now has every right to void any warranty offered.
2). You have (though not deliberately i hope ?) , jumped into a nasty flamefest discussion regarding a certain vendor and their customer service.
Be prepared for a rough ride !

Thanks hillhater for the reply. I'm not bashing Luna. They've always been great. Just wondering what the issue might be. I don't want any part of a "flamefest".

1- Do powerpoles have designated plus and minus per manu?

2- if so: pic of it 'backwards', before correction?

3- to OP and anybody buying a battery: pictures of it and any suspected low voltages upon arrival.

4- to battery sellers and manu's: a tap for balance ext and cell checker/medic is the only way I'm buying one.

Good luck OP!

Email or did you "open a trouble ticket" with your order number? https://lunacycle.com/trouble-ticket/ those seem to carry higher priority. Also, have you checked your spam folders because sometimes service reply emails wind up there and folks may not realize there's been a response?

I don't see any 72V 14.5Ah on their website, when was this purchased? https://lunacycle.com/72v/

PowerPoles don't have an official standard, however Ham Radio and others have settled on an arrangement for 12VDC. The PowerPoles I've received already set up for ebikes have used that standard for higher voltages.

The OP said the battery came with XT connectors which seems to be a standard for Luna batteries.

XT connectors are marked for polarity.

It sounds like the BMS tripped off. With a high impedance meter it will show a voltage, but that is just leakage through the BMS. Even a light load will pull the voltage to near zero.

I don't know the procedure for resetting the BMS. Start a trouble ticket.

Thanks Alan b
Alan B said:
With a high impedance meter it will show a voltage, but that is just leakage through the BMS. Even a light load will pull the voltage to near zero.

That explains it.
I've talked to Luna they believe the bms is tripped as well. They informed me to charge through discharge port to reset bms. For no more than 10 sec. I have tried this about 3 times, but the battery still won't charge through the charge ports or power on ca.

Hopefully they have a trick up they're sleeve.
And again, Luna's been great with they're customer service.

And ykick I got the battery about a week to ten days ago. Came by ups and at my door yesterday when I posted this post. I wanted the 72v fat battery but were not instock at the time. Mainly because I have one already.and they would sit nicely in my frame together.

Is your charger putting out full voltage when there's no battery connected?

I ask because some chargers don't put anything out until they see some voltage, in which case it might not work to reset the BMS.

I suspect that's not the case here, but just to be thorough...

If your seeing full voltage with no load, and under load not getting power out, that points to something with the BMS.

Sparkplug said:
I bought a 72v 14.5ah Panasonic pf battery. Went to plug it into the bike and noticed the xt-90 was wired backwards. So I got the soldering gun out and installed it correctly.

IDK buddy any chance it was correct when they sent it and you switched it incorrectly? It doesn't sound like you tried it before making modifications to it.

Sparkplug said:
Plugged it in but no power. Then put a multimeter on it and it read 64v

was that 64v showing correct polarity for the plug?

And what charger are you using? one that came with the battery? Was it the standard black plastic Luna Charger or the Better metal luna advanced charger?

I am using the Luna advance charger.

I always look at the color of the wires when grabbing my plugs, and I checked the voltage when I saw that the Ct-90 was soldered backwards. It was indeed backwards. However the polarity was correct.

I was asked by Luna to resolder the plug correctly.

The 64v is a leak through the bms. Underload it measures nothing. I also tried the 100w lightbulb test. Which it failed.
Luna has been very helpful though their email reply time is a little slow, but seb has been great!! Thanks seb

They are mailing me a new bms. They offered a refund, repair, or new bms if I felt comfortable installing one.

I haven't done this before, but when reading through the forums it looks pretty straight forward.

And thanks to everyone here who has replied. Ya'll have been very helpful.

Not being an expert at anything, in particular soldering on a BMS board, I had Ping add pigtails to each of the large wire connection points on the last BMS's I ordered. Helped a lot, since all I had to do has splice the wires to the appropriate leads away from the actual BMS boards. And for the splices I just use the crimp on Butt Connectors with some conductive silver epoxy added to the wire.

So. I cut open the battery. And balancing wires were not secured into place. Pushed them into the connectors on the bms board and like magic everything works. No need for new bms. Just faulty manufacturing. Just need to heat shrink everything together. And get back to riding. 8)

That's good to know. ES is a helpful community, and it was only a handful of posters who pushed away a lot of Sondors and Pedego customers who were new to ebikes and would have appreciated some advice when they needed it. Pedego and Sondors customers were not made to feel welcome here, and they started their own forums.

Recent events have shown that there are strong pro-Luna and strong anti-Luna feelings among the ES membership. Should we welcome Luna customers, or push them away?

Towards that end, should ES become a heavily moderated forum, or should the leash of moderation be long and slack to encourage open discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back