First Build Questions - Commuting fatbike

tomdfrommi

10 µW
Hello all,

I am getting ready to do my first build. I currently commute to work everyday which is about 7 miles each way. I commute on a specialized tricross which is what I was considering to use for my build but after some thought I think I will leave her non electric. Also since it has an aluminum front fork it wouldn't be ideal since I would like the option to switch back and forth between electric and non if i used this bike.

I am now thinking I want to convert my charge cooker maxi (fat bike) into an electric bike that I could commute on when I am not feeling up to riding the tricross.

I would like to be able to do 20 mph on level ground with pedaling, 15 mph without pedaling.

Range wise 15 miles would be nice (commute round trip).

The cooker maxi has 26 inch rims.

It has disc brakes.

I weigh 140 lbs. A majority of my ride is very flat.

I am thinking $1000 is a good goal budget wise.

I was thinking about getting a mac 10t on the rear from em3ev with the alex blizzerk pro 80 rim.

Is it worth getting all the components from em3ev to single source the build components or is there a benefit from getting the battery, controller etc. from other sellers?

I look forward to any input. Thank you.

Welcome to ES.

Fatbikes are inefficient, so it will take more battery than a more efficient tire system, heat the motor more and reduce the range. But they are fun. They also are flat magnets, finding every dangerous object in a much wider path than narrow tires. Changing hubmotor flats on the road is not fun.

Buying the whole setup from one vendor is a good idea for a first build, then it's all from them and support responsibility is clear.

Em3ev as a lot of happy customers on the forum here, but if you can source locally and get local or closer support you might be happier. Using long distance support can be frustrating. You must be patient and willing to accept the shipping times and costs which could make delays in the project or increase costs.

I did my first ebike that way (except for the battery), and then swapped components as I upgraded various parts. That particular vendor is no longer in business, but I had no complaints and no major problems.

It also depends on your skill set and tools. If you can handle soldering and electronics troubleshooting (and are patient) the long distance support may be fine. If not, then finding a local expert could be very valuable, even if you end up purchasing components from far away.

Enjoy your journey.

Back