Forum hickup?

macribs

10 MW
Didn't know where to post this so here it goes.

Is there anything wrong with the forum? Suddenly I see threads I contributed to be marked as unread and when I click the "view first unread" icon I get send to the very first post of that thread. Not the last page or the last post as per usual.

Also some threads are not showing correctly, like the Vector bike and frame owners show me that tomjazs has the latest post, posted 23 of may 9.35pm. This thread also leads me to post # 1. When I manually click to last page and scroll down I can actually see that the latest post is by abahanad may 23 8.50 pm.

The latest post I can view is by abahanad, and I can't find tomjazs post from 9.35pm.

What is up?

Several threads are messed up like this, is there a fix?

Click on tomjasz user name. See - Total posts: 3181 Click on Search user’s posts. See Search found 3172 matches. 9 posts have disappeared. There seems to be a lot of that going on here.

As a test - Click on marty user name. See - Total posts: 1917 Click on Search user’s posts. See Search found 1926 matches. My best explanation is an unexplained phenomenon.

macribs said:
Didn't know where to post this so here it goes.

Is there anything wrong with the forum? Suddenly I see threads I contributed to be marked as unread and when I click the "view first unread" icon I get send to the very first post of that thread. Not the last page or the last post as per usual.

Also some threads are not showing correctly, like the Vector bike and frame owners show me that tomjazs has the latest post, posted 23 of may 9.35pm. This thread also leads me to post # 1. When I manually click to last page and scroll down I can actually see that the latest post is by abahanad may 23 8.50 pm.

The latest post I can view is by abahanad, and I can't find tomjazs post from 9.35pm.

What is up?

Several threads are messed up like this, is there a fix?

Some of this behavior I've seen when spam posts are deleted before they are viewed.

Oh god, you have no idea how many times the database has taken a complete dump over a decade's time span.
No easy fix for that.

Our upcoming transition to a newer forum software should help kick some of this crap out. We have already tested a phpbb3.1 transition and found out that it does an extensive database translation. phpbb3.2 should be similar. The other two forum softwares we have identified as replacement candidates are discourse and vanilla forums. Both of those conversions would kick out problems like this. But we are currently investigating which software would be best.

I am not going to investigate a fix for this since we are so close to a transition that could provide a fix in itself :)

You guys might be right in that the banhammer modification we use to quickly rid the forum of spam and spam accounts could be to blame for minor glitches such as these.

I like this forum software. I have looked at other forums and this type is easier for me to navigate and figure out. Looking at black text on a light blue background. Can change that here > User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit global settings > My board style: See drop down with 5 choices. Think prosilver is default. I like Prosilver!

My vote is for phpBB forum software. https://www.phpbb.com/

Discourse https://www.discourse.org/
and
Vanilla Forums https://vanillaforums.com/en/

Looked at the web sites. vanillaforums.com has caused my internet radio to stop playing. Got a slow internet connection. phpBB is best! If it's not broke. Don't fix it.

This is bringing back memories of the 2011 episode when we had the last "transition". Remember then there was talk of moving to different forum software.

Back