Finished bike - 2KwH 18650 battery with pics

Synon

10 W
Bike: Diamondback Response SE
Motor: Yescomusa 48v 1000w
Controller: Stock controller (I remember someone mentioned these are 30a)
Battery: Used laptop 18650's - 20p14s total (2 20p7s packs)
Top speed: 34mph / 55kmph

So this has been a work in progress for a couple years. I started out loading some lead acid batteries on the rear rack (8 of them typically used in computer battery backup devices), terrible range and voltage sag, extremely heavy, horribly unstable riding... never again. I decided the used 18650 cells was going to be my path forward as I have a reliable and plentiful source, so I've been collecting cells for the last few years (and procrastinating on completing the battery). Part of the delay was I couldn't decide how to build the pack. At first I wanted to do a solderless design, and then I decided to just spotweld it together, then I decided I wanted to fuse each cell to protect from a rogue cell. I know soldering is not recommended, but I decided to say frock it and just complete the build rather than be caught in another cycle of indecision and not get to ride for the summer. I ordered 3amp glass fuses which are soldered to every cell. Originally the entire pack was going to be in the triangle, but when I decided on the battery size it had to go in the back. The bike is not very well balanced with the battery placement, but I don't see it causing any problems. No BMS, manually check voltages after each ride. 160 miles on the bike so far and everything is within 0.01v of each other with zero balancing as of yet.

I put some foam in my panniers to cushion the packs, but I feel like I need another solution. I'm afraid a bumpy ride could cause rubbing to break the fuse connections, no problems as of yet but I'm open to ideas.

My 14 mile round trip commute is cake with zero peddling and heavy on the throttle, moderate hills are no problem. Batteries stay within a few degrees of ambient. So far I'm loving riding it, my commute time is maybe 5 minutes longer than by car.

IMG_0849.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG

Wow! That's 13 kilos of batteries on the back !
But if it rolls it rolls. :mrgreen:

Looking real good! you could add hot glue and/or tight wrap them to give more support if you think they need it, did you use heat wrap over your batteries?

Back