Type of that blue loctite on M5 screws?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

Best kind of loctite (I'm sure it's not loctite brand since it comes from China) is that blue one that I see on my screw sets that come with brake discs and such.
It looks matt colored and pretty thick, do you know what kind it is?

rg12 said:
Hey Guys,

Best kind of loctite (I'm sure it's not loctite brand since it comes from China) is that blue one that I see on my screw sets that come with brake discs and such.
It looks matt colored and pretty thick, do you know what kind it is?

Loctite products are approved for industrial use its the gold standard with different formulations for different applications I've never had a problem with it and I always thought it was germany based company?

Loctite has verious grades according to the applications. The simple list is:
RED = high strength
BLUE = medium Strength
PURPLE = small treads
They also have various industrial formulations for such things as bearings and shafts. For just avoiding simple vibration loosening I have been known to use elmer's glue :wink:

The question is if Loctite are the only ones with blue color?

The blue threadlock spot, on the thread of the screws included with some aftermarket or replacement components, are of 2 kind:
1- Nylock, a brand that makes all sort of nylon composites for fastners.
1- Microspheres epoxy, offered by many brands for pre-application of thread lock.

Other colours of pre-applied thread locking compounds are yellow, green, orange, magenta, turquoise, brown. All of them have specific colour coded properties for: heat, filling, chemical, solvent, reactives, corrosives...

Thanks man, googled both and they both seem like what I'm looking for though I can't find a place to buy it.
It's not available on eBay or something, all websites ask me to send a business inquiry...

Loctite 243 (blue) and 270 (green) I've used and the Green stuff I would only use on heavy duty nut and bolt fastners it's strong enough to lock a cheap grade hex head nut and bolt together so the head deforms before it separates very strong stuff.
Im suprized your having diffuculty in finding it in the uk it's stocked in most desent hardware shops.

rg12 said:
Thanks man, googled both and they both seem like what I'm looking for though I can't find a place to buy it.
It's not available on eBay or something, all websites ask me to send a business inquiry...
Yep, those pre-application thread lock compound are generally sold to manufacturers. If you really want to prep screws in advance, you can do it with your own preparation or some alternative solutions that are easier to find in local stores. JB weld is a good replacement for microspheres epoxy, and dissolving pure nylon plastic bits in acetone can make a liquid nylon compound but you have to apply quickly before it dries.

Does the blue Loctite get close to the level of those two mentioned above industrial ones?

The reason for pre-application of threadlock compound is not to make a better lock than liquid application on the spot. It is for convenience of working with dry assembly, and to make sure that clients will assemble with threadlock as prescribed. If you don't need dry prep screws, thread lock compounds are available in a variety of hardness and spec. 4 different Locktite colours should be found easily, other brands should be available nearby also, and all of them in 3 different hardness at least. The main issue with using liquid thread lock in assembly, is that people often fail to follow instructions. When they say you should not use the assembled parts for the next 12 hours, it is because the product will not comply if you don't wait.

rg12 said:
Does the blue Loctite get close to the level of those two mentioned above industrial ones?

When it's pre-applied to the shank of the bolt it works fantastic at least once, and they call it a "loc-patched" fastener.

You may find you don't quite want it to work better than is needed to keep the fastener clamp loads.

Yep. Blue Loctite is perfect for parts that need periodic disassembly. Red is stronger but often requires heat to disassemble, and sometimes a new screw to re-assemble. Red is meant for permanent assembly.

Important: Clean, dry and prime. Loctite cleaner, and primer should be in your kit. Inactive metals (SS, anodized, plated, galvanized, Ti...) need careful cleaning and primer prior to Loctite application, even when new. Steel only need to be clean. Follow instructions, that is the most important part of a proper job.

rg12 said:
I use Loctite 242 (blue) threadlocker on any key nuts and bolts that I don't want to budge during use, but may need to be unfastened at some stage. It's great for the bottom bracket lockrings on my BBS02 too.

I assume you are in the US, so this one looks like the genuine stuff from Henkel. Steer clear of anything that's not genuine Loctite. The cure times are much longer and I doubt that they will do the job properly. You only require a tiny amount on each thread, so a bottle, or tube, lasts a long time.

Loctite (242) 37418 - ThreadLocker Medium Strength 6ml

Back