Got a DUI: I wanna build an ebike to get to work + school

takishan

10 µW
Hey everybody, I found this forums through the /r/ebikes subreddit. I did some basic research although I'm still kind of lost because there's a lot of info and links out there. I'm gonna copy the sticky and answer those questions first.

Desired max speed on level ground: 20-25mph
Desired max range at what cruising speed. 30 miles~ at 20mph
Preferred bike wheel size, or wheel size of bike you want to convert. Most common kits are for 26" wheels.: 26''.. this one specifically:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Huffy-Men-s-Fortress-Mountain-Bike-Blue/49058108
Brake type of motor wheel. Disc or not. excuse my ignorance, but i'm not really sure what the difference is
Rider weight. i'm 150lbs
Terrain. Exp: i'm in south florida so it's all flat, thankfully
Budget. $600-$1000 Really I want to keep it as low as possible without sacrificing the main things (20-25mph + 30miles range). I also don't want the batteries blowing up or anything.

So basically, what would you guys recommend? Do I need to buy any tools too? I figure I can get the basic stuff first then maybe change the tires + seat + handlebars on the bike later.

Also, on the sticky where I got this from, it linked me to https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-accessories/20c-discharge-2.html?___store=en_us

I thought battery packs were like a few hundred bucks? How come these are cheap? Also, on reddit I saw some comments of people saying everything from Hobby Lobby is crap. What do you guys think?

One last thing.. "The battery pack must be capable of providing the amperage required by the controller. IOW's if you have a max 30A controller, your battery pack should be capable of a 30A continuous output." How do I find the ampage of this http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Rear-Cycling-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-E-Bike-Conversion-Kit-Hub-Motor-/141992392246?hash=item210f67f636:g:MvwAAOSwCU1Yz~L6 controller?

Thanks for any advice guys, I really appreciate it.

regards

If you want a safe and big enough battery to ride 30 miles, you will have to up your budget or build the battery by yourself. Good cells are expansive, cheap batteries are either small or made with fake cells.

You will need some tools of course, if you want to build a bike. Yet, the assembly of a kit is pretty straightforward.

You could save yourself a lot of time and tempering, buying a used scooter (either electric or 50cc gasser). That is what those who have suspended licence usually do. Still, if you build your own bike, you might get addicted. Then you will spend a lot of time and money, building a better one and another... :twisted:

MadRhino said:
If you want a safe and big enough battery to ride 30 miles, you will have to up your budget or build the battery by yourself. Good cells are expansive, cheap batteries are either small or made with fake cells.

What if I lower the range to 20 miles? What am I looking for in a battery? I know lead is "bad" but if it's cheap and it works, could I use it?

MadRhino said:
You will need some tools of course, if you want to build a bike.

What tools? Anything expensive that I can't get at like auto parts or walmart?

MadRhino said:
You could save yourself a lot of time and tempering, buying a used scooter (either electric or 50cc gasser). That is what those who have suspended licence usually do. Still, if you build your own bike, you might get addicted. Then you will spend a lot of time and money, building a better one and another... :twisted:

Gas scooters still need a license in my state. As for the electric, the cheapest electric scooters I can find are $1,100~. I think the general consensus is that if I build an ebike, it will have more performance than that $1,100 scooter, no?

Thanks + regards

I do not want to rain on your parade, but an electric/gas bicycle is a motorized vehicle. Since you received a DUI you are banned from operating any motorized vehicle on public property. This means scissor lifts, ride on mowers, segways, boats, trains, aircraft, seadoo's, skidoo's, quads, atv's, side by sides, electric skateboard, electric inline skates, catepillar type consturction equipment, forklifts. Anything motorized on public property.

On private property you can do what you want, you can operate a spaceship if you cared to.

I hope you know this. If you didnt know this then I hope my post here enlightened you. Please take the time to look at the penalties you will receive if by chance you get caught. I see you listed where you are from, that is good. Yes what I typed here applies to you and pretty much the entire 1st world, especially North America.

At a minimum, if you were to get caught - You will receive additional time to your driving prohibition/ban usually an extra 1 year extension to your driving priviledges if you are a clean cat. If you are a somewhat dirty cat, the judge can do as you pleases and decide to slap an extra 1.5 years on, and put an extra charge on you for breaking probation.

Its good to know the law, but you do with that as you shall please. I will end it there.

In the state of Florida a bike with an electric motor that does not surpass 20mph unassisted is considered a bicycle for legal purposes. You do not need a license to ride a bike. In fact, there are stores in my area that sell scooters called "dui scooters" which are electric scooters with pedals that are legally classified as bicycles. Example -> http://www.sunset-scooters.com/electric-scooters.html

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure you mean well but don't worry.. I'm well acquainted with the legal issues revolving around a DUI. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned the DUI cause I just want advice building my ebike.

Question: What's the consensus on buying batteries from Amazon or Ebay? I'm thinking a 500w motor kit with a 36v 15ah battery would do my needs just fine. However, I have read that a lot of batteries from no-names on Amazon and Ebay are hit or miss. Where can I find quality batteries? I'd settle for less speed if I can get reliability.

I've had great service from my Luna Cycle battery, but have heard nothing but good reports about em3ev. It would be advisable to look for an older steel framed bike (mid-90's Diamondback or similar before purchasing a big box bike IMO. You shouldn't need any special tools for a rear hub motor kit except a wrench and maybe file if the rear dropouts need to be modified.

Go cheap on the bike and the motor,spend your money on the battery...my advice YMMV

markz brings up a good point. It is technically illegal. But, as a FL resident and bike mechanic, I know the local attitude towards ebikes. In central florida, at least, gas bikes are tolerated quite a bit. People have mixed reactions, varying widely from no issues at all, to threat of jail.

Now, ebikes, on the other hand, are very new. They make no noise, so no one can hear them to complain about them. Florida also happens to have the most relaxed laws on motorized bikes. It's pretty much the standard norm to put a motor on your bike when faced with a DUI. Riding around on an ebike, you are practically invisible. No, you ARE invisible. I have tested this for 2,300 miles now, on an ebike with the performance you want.

For best results, pedal along with the motor, if you're on the sidewalks. No faster than 15~17 though. No pedal at 20-25 in the bike lane is very reasonable. For an extra measure, wear a cycling helmet, which lowers your apparent law-breaking display, into more of a nerdy ebike guy putting around town. Trust me, invisible.

-----------------

For the speed you want, that 1000w 48v ebay motor kit you're looking at is sufficient. A leaf 1500w , or EDGE 1500w are better, for a price. Of course, there are motors far beyond this point.

The battery : the motor says you need at least a 48v 11.6 ah battery. This is only 48 x 11.6 x 0.8 = 450 watt-hours of useable energy, which will only get you 450/20 = 22.5 miles down the road. You can get 30 miles at 20 mph if you bump it up to a 48v 16ah battery, at least. More the better.

You can buy one premade, but be careful as hell with that. Lots of phoneys out there. Don't get an ebay lithium battery .... A good quality 48v 20ah battery may cost around $600 - $650, without charger (>$60) It's worth the money. You can actually use a 52v battery with a 48v controller, so these two are great options.

The only thing about ebikes in FL is the heat can be hard on the batteries. I have had some major voltage drops and range reduction because I was out in 100F day cruising 22mph. If you up the amp-hours beyond 20ah, the batteries will fare better.

The controller : if the kit says it's 1000w at 48v, then it's probably a 22 amp controller, which I have used before. It gets the bike up to 20-25 just fine. Don't expect a rocketship.

The brake type : v-brake || disc brake . The bike you linked has v-brakes.

It appears that your best bet in Florida, if you want to stay out of trouble, is an e-bike that can't exceed 20mph on motor power. In your state, that's a bicycle-- but if it's faster than that, it's an unregistered, uninsured moped with a number of equipment violations.

20mph is fine, if you can get up to speed promptly. It's more pleasant than higher speeds, really.

What isn't fine is a broke down shitheap of a pretend bicycle like a Huffy. A bicycle-shaped object like that will do nothing but disappoint you. With electric assist, it will disappoint you faster and fail harder. No amount of bike maintenance skill will make that bike any good, but a lack of bike maintenance skill makes it even worse.

Your budget is tight, yes. On one hand, remember how much your stinking car used to cost you, which you can now afford to devote to other things. On the other hand, keep in mind that you are putting yourself in a position to be dependent on the reliability of your bike. Do you really want to stake your transportation on a so-called bike that was designed to appear under the Christmas tree and then disappear into the garage forever?

Don't be seduced by the low entry price of lead batteries. They suck sooooo bad. They'll never deliver anything close to their rated capacity, and they die young after declining continuously. They're not a good deal. They're just heavy, lame, and short-lived. Pay what you must to get a reputable lithium battery with BMS.

Edited to correct some of my fone's wild guesses as to what I was trying to write.

Don't buy you motor kit from ebay Luna cycle or emv3 for the motor kit and battery for the bike listen to Chalo look on Craigs list you can get some really good MT bikes Giants , Speziled , GT , you want a hardtail or full suspension. With these bikes you can always upgrade forks shocks buy a bike that has Discbrakes even cheap ones . Its not hard at all to install the wheel kit were the battery will fit to the frame is important don't use a rear rack you want a bike that has room for the battery on the downtube . I ride FL a lot come down two or 3 times a yr FL has some of the best MT bike trails and great bike paths you will love your E bike .

Get a 48V 1000W lit from ebay for under $200. Put it on the huffy with a 16ah 12s lipo battery pack, ~$220, unless you catch it on sale. It will top out about 28mph unless you limit it, Learn how to do things.

I have a BBSHD on a relaxed-posture cruiser frame, and I also have a 2600W rear hubmotor on a downhill frame. Each has strengths and weaknesses. I believe your best bet is to go for a stealthy build that "looks like" a bicycle. The ebike I ride the most is the BBSHD cruiser, it completely blends-in, and it has both a hand-throttle plus a pedal-sensor (PAS) so when I see a cop, I make sure to pedal along, and the motor will still provide power as long as it senses pedal movement.

I don't ride crazy, and I've never been hassled by anyone, police or otherwise.

If you are on a tight budget, go for 48V. later, you can upgrade to a larger battery pack that will provide longer range, and also maybe upgrade to a 52V pack for a little extra oomph. The stock controller will work with 48V and 52V, but....if you later decide to upgrade to a 60V or 72V with an external controller, you can have as much as 2500W. Many riders have done that, so the BBSHD is mechanically up to that power level.

The BBSHD runs very quietly, so that is one more aspect where it blends in. It is very efficient, so you can get a lot of miles from a fairly small and affordable pack. Since you are starting out, I would recommend to get a pack that just barely gets you to where you need to go (plus maybe 20%), and buy two chargers. A smart charger for home, and a dumb charger with a timer for work.

The more you pedal, the more miles you get from "X" amp-hours of pack size. That being said, I don't like to arrive at work sweaty, so I use the hand-throttle almost exclusively on the way to work (when the weather is nice. In bad weather I am a wuss and drive). I "think" you might be able to get by with an reasonably affordable 14-Ah pack.

edit: the disc or no-disc has to do with...if the frame has rim-brakes or a disc brake. The NON-disc brake version of a hub does not have the 6-hole flange on the left side to bolt a disc onto it. Maybe its a buck or two cheaper, but if getting a hub, always get the disc version, because you can swap that hub to a different frame next year, and you might have a disc brake on that frame. Good to have options, yes?

I think rider 95 is saying , Don't buy your motor kit from eBay, ... Do buy it from Luna or EM3ev.com

craiglist.org is good, If , you know what you are looking for in a used bike, there is now a way to find out some pricing guidelines on bikes. bicyclebluebook.com .. https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/

Bikes around the 2010 time period have disc brakes, decent forks and slotted dropouts on the rear of the frame , to bolt the hub to. ( Many newer bikes have through axle frames , and the Chinese still have not made a rear hub for them )
So that why I am saying around the 2010 dates of manufacture for a bike. ( no rust , must have been kept inside and not ridden much )

quote="rider95"]Don't buy you motor kit from ebay Luna cycle or emv3 for the motor kit and battery for the bike listen to Chalo look on Craigs list you can get some really good MT bikes Giants , Speziled , GT , you want a hardtail or full suspension. With these bikes you can always upgrade forks shocks buy a bike that has Discbrakes even cheap ones . Its not hard at all to install the wheel kit were the battery will fit to the frame is important don't use a rear rack you want a bike that has room for the battery on the downtube . I ride FL a lot come down two or 3 times a yr FL has some of the best MT bike trails and great bike paths you will love your E bike .[/quote]

Your best approach will be as Chalo suggested, keep it legal. I don't know, but if you have ended up like I once did, you will need to have your face appearing on a legal vehicle for a while. If the cops know you now, this is of maximum importance. If you are still more unknown to the local cops, this may not matter as much.

But still, another ticket now will not help you get the license back in a year, or whatever. In addition,,,, you can definitely get a bike DUI,, soooo..

The bike. A beach cruiser will be much more comfortable to ride a long ways than the MTB. Up your bike budget by another 50 bucks or so, and get a 7 speed beach cruiser. Huffy panama jack is one good one they have at wally world.

The cheap kit from Amazon is all you can afford. Get the 36v one. Why? because 20 mph is plenty fast for bikes, and its legal, AND YOUR BATTERY WILL COST LESS. You will need 36v 20 ah, to have a decent 20 mph range, at full speed. You should have about 23 mph leaving the house, and 20 mph most of the ride.

It can be done on about $1000. No big special tools needed, but you will want a cheap volt meter, and a cheap crimper, or soldering irorn, (harbor freight) to put better connectors on your battery and or controller.

Don't see the panama bike with 7 speeds.

They call it margaritaville now. https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Men-s-Margaritaville-Multi-Speed-Cruiser-Bike-Blue/47443508

The reason to choose this, is the welded on rear rack will carry your beer, and your battery. Spray it flat black, if too sissy for you. Black and throw dirt on it wet, to make it stay un stolen.

Thanks for all the information guys, this has been a godsend. The amount and quality of information given out for free is impressive. Thanks dogman dan for the cruiser suggestion. I think that the bike looks cool and you're right, will probably be more comfortable. I'm going to see if my local walmart has a cruiser in this style, otherwise I'm probably gonna go for the mountain bike. After another couple paychecks if I feel comfortable with this whole ebike thing, I figure I can go on craigslist and find a real bike.

As for the motor kit, I'm going to get the ebay one here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Rear-Cycling-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-E-Bike-Conversion-Kit-Hub-Motor-/141992392246?hash=item210f67f636:g:MvwAAOSwCU1Yz~L6

and the battery here: https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s6p-small-triangle-pack

I'm gonna look for forum posts on putting the thing together. Apparently the kit I'm buying comes with a manual but does anybody have any general tips or things I should look out for?

Also, after I install the motor will the bike be just one gear or will I be still able to switch gears?

Also... a question for those with "legal experience"... As long as I don't speed above 20mph in front a cop, I'll be OK right? I was thinking about getting some stickers and putting "max speed 20mph 500w motor" on the bike or something just in case. If a cop pulls me over and asks me for registration, what do I do? Pull up the florida statutes on my phone and cross my finger? I want the bike to go 20mph min so I'm shooting for 25mph to make sure it hits the target. Also, I need 25 miles range so I'm shooting for 30.

I'll update this post with pics of the build after I'm done so everybody can see the results :D

Yeah with a motorized bicycle you def want to be sober and not drink and ebike.

What Chalo typed is spot on. I personally like the older Rocky Mountain and Specialized bicycle brands. Def buy a full steel frame which were popular in the 90's.

Now if I were you, I'd personally buy a Montague Paratrooper folding bicycle and equip it to be motorized. What this does for a person in your situation, it allows you to use the bus system. You fold up the bicycle and take it inside the bus. Its just another device like them old people walkers, shopping carts, child stroller. Then what I'd do is have something to cover it up so the bus driver doesnt quite know what it is you are bringing on. I know my transit system states that it must have a cover, this prevents clothing from others snagging it. I am kicking myself for not buying a 26" Folder, because the buses with bike racks are very hit and miss. I am lucky as I have 6 buses to choose from, if not 8. But even then there are times where there is a bus with no bicycle rack on the front.

As long as I don't speed above 20mph in front a cop, I'll be OK right? I was thinking about getting some stickers and putting "max speed 20mph 500w motor" on the bike or something just in case. If a cop pulls me over and asks me for registration, what do I do? Pull up the florida statutes on my phone and cross my finger? I want the bike to go 20mph min so I'm shooting for 25mph to make sure it hits the target. Also, I need 25 miles range so I'm shooting for 30.

I'll update this post with pics of the build after I'm done so everybody can see the results :D
Dont be a goof or an asshole and you will be fine. Meaning dont be speeding on a bike path with people around, they will get pissed off.

Holographic stickers are good to slap on the motor and controller. Quite common for the Europeans scared of the police to get 250W stickers made. Wouldnt hurt to also put on 20mph along side it.

If I were you, I'd aim for 30mph, then limit everything with a Cycle Analyst. I wouldnt be too scared of the poo poo, just ride with common sense and be courteous.

To be honest and frank with ya, people hardly know my bike is an ebike. I rarely get looked at, its only when I am going up a hill and my feet are off the pedals is when I get looked at. I also do a lot of fake pedaling. I'd strongly suggest you do the same thing. I would suggest to you to camoflage the rear hub motor with some pannier bike bags. Just dont put your controller in the bag, put it on the top of the rear rack, and paint it to match the rack. Hide the wires to the best of your ability. I have my wires hanging out and I never get no looks.

If a cop pulls you over, you gotta talk to him rationally, but he wont listen to you when hes writting a ticket. You have to take it dry with sand, and go to court. Thats when you present your case and show the statutes.

Just don't be a cop magnet. That is not only in stupid behaviour, but in provoking look and style also. If you look like you're gonna hurt yourself or others, they will be after you even if you are perfectly legal. On the other side, you can be grossly illegal and get away with it, if you have the look and behaviour of a conscious citizen. :wink:

MadRhino said:
Just don't be a cop magnet. That is not only in stupid behaviour, but in provoking look and style also. If you look like you're gonna hurt yourself or others, they will be after you even if you are perfectly legal. On the other side, you can be grossly illegal and get away with it, if you have the look and behaviour of a conscious citizen. :wink:

.... then again there's this option;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZBPn_tKkZc
So I asked him (Alejandro), don't the cops stop you?!?!?! He said no, never.
But it went (goes?) 60kph (38mph). I'm not advocatin'. I'm just sayin'. Definitely too fast for me. But still ... kind of cool looking.
And I'm not in FLA. It may be just that the cops in BC sympathize with the raindrop avoidance concept.

I wonder why the black panels each side on the front. Seem to me they are blinding important angles.

Keep it simple and affordable.

Use a good steel frame donor mountain bike.

Buy one of the $250 Aosom brand rear 1000 watt 48V hub motor kits off of eBay.

Buy one of the 52V 10aH Luna Cycles batteries for $500 with charger.

Spend about 3 hours putting it all together, then enjoy putting on thousands of miles.....

Back