Too good to be true?

Stu Summer

100 W
http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-48V-1000W-Ebike-Front-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Conversion-Kit-Motor-Hub/152211337572?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44730%26meid%3D0aef9a5d7c0a476b90041a3b207edf24%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322269304808#rwid

$147 for a 1000w laced front hub motor, 1/2 price. Too good to be true? I am looking for such a motor to rotate between a few different bikes. Please tell me what will go wrong here. I have two BBSHD ebikes so I have familiarity with ebikes but no expertise.

Thanks!

It says "Restricted to 750w" sales speak to cover arse ar, how would it be restricted?

Cheaper controller, 15 amps. if it is actually 750w @ 48v

Or, it could just be done in the display settings, which you can fiddle with if you know the codes.

Allow you to swap two power modes between the full 1000W power or 750W power by a single blue switch wire is embedded in controller.
My understanding is it's like a infineon speed switch, except 2spd? I didn't realize it actually cut down power too tho. I'm using the same blue wires on my older kit to variably limit the front hub speed in 2wd, w/switch, but build is unfinished.

10 year old motor design.. lowest quality controller and accessories possible included.
Same thing you get for $200 or $250 elsewhere.

I wouldn't buy it for one dollar, but i'm even more skeptical when it can be shipped for free at $150.

Someday we should have better pricing with middrives on ebay/amazon too, and other and better bigger hubs. Maybe batteries too. I think it'll just take more people buying them.

Best quality will always be more expensive- that's a given. Overtime knowledge (and thus tech, and thus quality) tends to rise, but the best 'deals' will alwayst be the bottom bracket.

All in all these kits are SUPER awesome for people just getting into ebikes, or even as a long term motor/kit. They even come with basic frig instructions lol. (I'm putting 2x on a mongoose fatbike- to make it FAT). Also, of the two I've bought, the wheels, rims, and tires are surprisingly stout with no truing issues.

Cheese-grade metal in the spokes, nipples, and rim. Thick laminations are low efficiency (run hot, use lots of battery watts for a short range). Thin phase wires cannot be hot rodders with more amps. Generic Hall sensors with high failure rate and short life. Controller that is buzzy, jerky response (when it works), low power and short life. Throttle will likely fall apart or simply fail for no apparent reason...

Don't feel bad, just about everyone has to start somewhere, and most of the members started with something that is nothing like what they ended up with...

Back