Is it possible to build a cheapish ebike?

Jamessaki

10 W
I am just curious if it is possible to get a cheap ebike that can go 50miles or more at speeds of 10-??
I am a bigger guy at 270lbs but I am just curious if it is possible or not I have one im building now but unsure of my max distance lol. So can anyone tell me if it is possible?

Cheap as in probably less than $1000 (cheaper the better but not risk my life and die in a inferno of flames)

just curious is all

Yeah, it's possible at those speeds. Glad you understand the good-fast-cheap relationship.

Of course, you can get more if you build as much yourself as possible. The more you save on the donor bike, the more you can put into important things like the battery and motor. I've seen some really good, nearly complete (just need battery) bikes on sale for around $800.

Do you have a bike to start with?

cal3thousand said:
Yeah, it's possible at those speeds. Glad you understand the good-fast-cheap relationship.

Of course, you can get more if you build as much yourself as possible. The more you save on the donor bike, the more you can put into important things like the battery and motor. I've seen some really good, nearly complete (just need battery) bikes on sale for around $800.

Do you have a bike to start with?

Heres my current bike picture / the kit i bought and the battery i bought this is what im currentlly using at the moment. (or will in a few days when the kit comes in and i put it together)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1000W-Rear-Cycling-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-E-Bike-Conversion-Kit-Hub-Motor/141992392246?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48V25AH-Lithium-Battery-3A-Charger-BMS-Rechargeable-Power-1000W-Ebike-Kit-Motor/162335712404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Ladies-Schwinn-Candis-Light-Blue/119227317

My bike should go an estimated 20 miles range at around 20-25mph and it cost me around $450-$500 total but I did already have a bike to build the kit to...Im planning on a 10mi trip this weekend so well see how the capacity holds up but I'd say it's definitely possible.

You'd get a ton more 'bike' if you bought used on craiglist.

That frame is going to be a bit wobbly, but at those low speeds, it may not matter to you.

cal3thousand said:
You'd get a ton more 'bike' if you bought used on craiglist.

That frame is going to be a bit wobbly, but at those low speeds, it may not matter to you.

Yeah but I don't think IL ever get far miles on this

I don't know what will shudder more. Me if I were to watch you try to slow that bike down from 20 mph, or the brakes on that bike when you try to slow down from 20 mph. Jeez. It's got one lever squeezing two v-brakes. How is that going to work?

I think you ought to get a second brake lever and a cable to hook up the front brakes separately. Well, you will get two brake levers in the kit. If you're clever, you can reroute that dual cable and have two separate brakes.

docw009 said:
I don't know what will shudder more. Me if I were to watch you try to slow that bike down from 20 mph, or the brakes on that bike when you try to slow down from 20 mph. Jeez. It's got one lever squeezing two v-brakes. How is that going to work?

I think you ought to get a second brake lever and a cable to hook up the front brakes separately. Well, you will get two brake levers in the kit. If you're clever, you can reroute that dual cable and have two separate brakes.

I tried brakes IL post pics later but it goes to back then separate wire I think to front

On further thought, unless you can braze a ball on the cable for that second lever, you'll want to buy a new brake cable. Less than ten bucks, but relative to the cost of the bike, a lot of money for something that many hobbyists have in their junk bin.

Rassy said:
Actually, you need both of the new brake levers. The original dual brake lever can't be used for a single brake.
So I can't use just 1 brake lever from kit for both wheels????

docw009 said:
On further thought, unless you can braze a ball on the cable for that second lever, you'll want to buy a new brake cable. Less than ten bucks, but relative to the cost of the bike, a lot of money for something that many hobbyists have in their junk bin.

I don't have any of that or knowledge in this

I'm not sure if those of you advising on the brake system have any experience with dual brake levers, but the cables are exactly the same as for single brake levers. There is just a pivot between where the two individual cables attach. Remember, the OP has no bike knowledge and needs correct information before he makes his purchases. And I do agree that individual levers would be best for maximum stopping power, plus, if something breaks, such as the brake lever itself, he would still have the other brake to stop with.

Rassy said:
I'm not sure if those of you advising on the brake system have any experience with dual brake levers, but the cables are exactly the same as for single brake levers. There is just a pivot between where the two individual cables attach. Remember, the OP has no bike knowledge and needs correct information before he makes his purchases. And I do agree that individual levers would be best for maximum stopping power, plus, if something breaks, such as the brake lever itself, he would still have the other brake to stop with.

Ummmm I already bought bike and stuff

James, I don't think anybody is saying that you must replace the original brake lever with two individual levers, we are just making a recommendation that would make your bike better and safer. If you aren't happy with how something works, such as the brakes, there are even more things that we can recommend to make them work better. Good luck with your project. :D

EDIT: The purchases I was referring to above, was for additional things that were being recommended to you, such as new brake levers, cables, etc., not your original bike purchase which you have already made.

Rassy said:
James, I don't think anybody is saying that you must replace the original brake lever with two individual levers, we are just making a recommendation that would make your bike better and safer. If you aren't happy with how something works, such as the brakes, there are even more things that we can recommend to make them work better. Good luck with your project. :D

EDIT: The purchases I was referring to above, was for additional things that were being recommended to you, such as new brake levers, cables, etc., not your original bike purchase which you have already made.

I was only thinking take off stock brake n replace it with kits brake if that is bad idea what do you recommend. I don't plan on this bike being a speed bike

Does the kit that you bought allow for regen braking? If it does, utilize it to reduce the burden on your stock brakes. Also, if planning to use regen, make sure to have 2 torque arms on the motor.

I was only thinking take off stock brake n replace it with kits

Are you saying your motor kit came with a pair of brake levers? If so, they probably have switches in them to cut off the power when you hit either brake. And yes, you should replace the stock brake lever with these new brake levers from the kit, usually the front brake lever on the left and the rear brake lever on the right. That's not really considered replacing the brakes, just the brake levers.

If you have any question about how to do this, just ask.

Rassy said:
I was only thinking take off stock brake n replace it with kits

Are you saying your motor kit came with a pair of brake levers? If so, they probably have switches in them to cut off the power when you hit either brake. And yes, you should replace the stock brake lever with these new brake levers from the kit, usually the front brake lever on the left and the rear brake lever on the right. That's not really considered replacing the brakes, just the brake levers.

If you have any question about how to do this, just ask.

I sent you a pm but yeah if you see eBay as it came with 2 brake levers n wires

Decades ago we road heavy single speed American cruisers with only rear coaster brakes and we rode them at speeds greater than 10 MPH. I also delivered hundreds of newspapers (a arcane news media in hard copy form) on a similar bicycle. Having said all that, I do agree two brakes are better than one.

LewTwo said:
Decades ago we road heavy single speed American cruisers with only rear coaster brakes and we rode them at speeds greater than 10 MPH. I also delivered hundreds of newspapers (a arcane news media in hard copy form) on a similar bicycle. Having said all that, I do agree two brakes are better than one.

Shurestop counts as 2 brAkes

I sent you a pm but yeah if you see eBay as it came with 2 brake levers n wires

Okay, as I said earlier, you should use those 2 new brake levers and hook up the wires as part of the motor kit installation.

If you have never changed brake levers or cables on a bike you should get some local help, maybe at your local bike shop. But it is pretty straight forward. You have to release the brake cable where it attaches to the actual brake, carefully, usually not necessary to take the cable clear off, just get an inch or two of slack. Then use that slack to get access to where the end of the cable is anchored within the brake lever and remove the cable from the brake lever. Then reverse the process when the new brake levers are on the bike.

The one brake lever system was "invented" (maybe perfected, but they have a patent) by Guardian Cycles in order to prevent new riders from grabbing too much front brake and going over the bars. You should try it first if you buy that bike, but as above you can get much more on Craigslist for $150. FYI, the company got $500K from Mark Cuban on Shark Tank.

Back