Another new guy, more new guy questions

For eight or nine years I had a single motor Z.A.P. on my Janos BOSS cruiser and enjoyed it immensely despite the low speed and limited range from a singe 12 volt 20 AH SLA battery. I rode it countless miles and as the grandkids got older I found it a wonderful way to keep up without breathing hard. One of my granddaughters however did catch on a little a few months ago when she asked me, about five miles into a ride, if I had a zoom button.

But, my circumstances changed and I needed a bigger, faster motor and looked about quite awhile. Unfortunately I did not find this site first but it probably would have confused me even more than I already was.

Being ignorant but reading a lot, I determined some brands I had heard of and admired when they first came out were either out of business or duds, the lee Iaccoca bike for one. So, taking a chance and flipping a coin I bought the Crystalyte Cruiser with a 48 volt SLA system. There was a lot of new stuff to learn and I'm still learning. This site helps. I know now that I"m not the only one that's constantly adjusting spokes. Mostly though my ignorance is showing when folks talk about FET, charging rates and such.

So far the 4840 controller has been trouble free, I mount it on the outside of the battery bag and if it rains I carry a gallon sized freezer bag to put it in, same for the handlebar controls and hope that will be enough. I've changed my front tire to a slick (IRC 26X2.0 METRO) and have another I'm fixing to put on the rear. The battery bag is lopsided, I don't know why but I've order the wire saddle baskets to hopefully get them balanced a little better. I don't know if there is something else I should be doing.

The good news: Yesterday I rode 8 miles at 20 MPH average, charged the batteries while I played a round of golf and rode the same 8 miles home at 23 - 24 MPH with plenty of battery left over. I've ridden nine miles at over 25 MPH but was starting to suffer the yellow light during acceleration. My longest run, without charging, was 18 miles at 15 MPH with only a little yellow light showing toward the end.

This is GREAT stuff. This is a great forum even if I don't understand most of what I read.

How long will these SLA's last? I saw some high end lithium batteries for around $1,500 and that seems steep compared to around a hundred for another four SLA's. Can they be worth it? Will this Cruiser motor, that delivers my 220 pound body, plus bike, at 31 MPH last any time at all? Will it be dependable?

Simple questions, I think. Am looking forward to any answers.
Mike
mvadventure stands for motor vessel adventure and now motor vehicle adventure. I probably should have called myself EVADVENTURE.

If you're happy with the performance and don't ride on a lot of hills, lead is pretty hard to beat for cheapness. On the other hand, a 48V NiMH pack would cut your battery weight in half, and give much more range in the same capacity. It would also cost 3-5x more depending on the cell quality and C rating.

Is your motor a 5304?

http://ebikes.ca/store/

Hi Mike,

Lithium rules. Better in every way than lead. If you intend to bike for more than 2 years, go lipo.

You will pay either way, but pay up front for lipo and you get the most benefit.

:D

Part of the learning curve I've yet to accomplish is the understanding between different motors. All I know is I have the Crystalyte Cruiser 48 volt model. How do you tell the number?

The link is fascinating. Lots of information/products that are new to me and will take some studying. A quick glance found the nimh batteries, maybe a longer look will find the lithium. Here in N. Florida, especially where I live, range is a factor. Our hills are bridges so we're pretty flat but it's about 7 miles each way just to get a haircut and I guarantee the wind will find a way to be in your face in each direction. Thanks for your responses.

Mike

How long will these sla's last?
Ah, the magic question. Here's some answers:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=296&highlight=log

Back