Super 73 Scout - discussion

benj

100 W
Hi everyone,

I saw this eBike today, and totally fell in love with the design of it - Super 73 Scout:

Scout_infographics-features-13_1024x1024.jpg

I was so close to pressing the Buy button - but I live in the UK, so taxes and shipping made it $1600 .... yikes!

I'd love to hear the opinions of the community here about this bike (I'd be limited to the Euro 250w version ... but could/would probably DIY upgrade it in the future)

TBH, I'd LOVE to build my own replica, but that frame shape and forks look hard to replicate from off-the-shelf parts?

What do you think of the bike?

the frame is a copy of an early 70s mini bike. they were often sold in kits in the back of magazines, and would use a gas edger motor, or gocart motor.

There are probqably a few still around in someone's shed, just waiting for you to rescue them on craigslist or ebay. But you can get a brand new one for as little as $350 with a gas motor from Walmart. Most of these modern ones have small fat wheels, so it would be up to you to modify the frame for the large 16" motorcycle wheels, or 20" bicycle wheels for that build.

throw out the gas motor, add your own electric, and you're set.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Trail-100cc-Mini-Bike/55145675

Coleman-Powersports-Mini-Trail-Bike.jpg

Hey DrunkSkunk.

Thanks for that - yes, that is a similar frame... interesting. I'm not sure I've got the metalwork skills to modify it myself - and finding one in the UK will be tough... but for sure it's worth keeping my eye out.

I think the trickiest parts for me would be getting bigger wheels to fit and make sure it's got pedals so the Feds don't catch me out :)

What about just buying a fat bike from Walmart for a few hundred?
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=fat%20bike&cat_id=0

Its kind of a cool idea, but I'm very turned off by a few things on it. Like the battery on top of the frame so it looks like a gas tank.

WTH? all that empty frame, and they put the battery on top?

Second turn off, its going to ride a lot like a mini bike. Remember how cool those were when your back discs were 10 years old?

Third,, if you do pedal that thing, you are going to chafe the shit out of your inner thighs.

I wouldn't take an ebike in this style to very high speeds. The lack of suspension and small-diameter tires make it definitely a lower-speed fun ebike.

If you live near a beach, these would be a lot of fun, but...they scream out for a second motor to become 2WD. Fat tires, 2WD and low speed...the ultimate beach crawler for sand or bar-hopping in Margaritaville...

My dad was a welder and born craftsman. He could, and did, build everything imaginable. He built "me" a minibike when I was probably ten. Our road was gravel back then, and he wiped out on the first test ride, on those tiny 8-10" wheels. He came back all covered in road rash. The new 20" fat tire versions are limos by comparison, But with the short wheelbase, I still wouldn't be flying down the road on one.

Looks like most are around 40" wheelbase, standard bicycle length, so not as bad as I thought. Still shorter than I want for motor speeds, but to each their own.

Those gas bikes are probably too wide to add a conventional bottom bracket and pedals. You can't use an electric bike in the UK if it doesn't have pedals. You can install a 1500 motor andd nobody takes any notice, but go out without pedals and your bike will end up in the crusher.

Also, the more your bike looks like a motorcycle, the more you need to be sure that it's legal, or put it the other way round, the more your bike looks and rides like a bicycle, the more deviation from legality you can get away with.

250w with big heavy tires and batter placed that high... This thing will be slow and annoying.

You are throwing away the functional aspect of a bike, that is cheap to maintain and a sizing that fits you for some aesthetics.

It looks cool that's about it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I do agree - it's a style thing - and not the best setup for an eBike. I have held off looking at them for now.

Those mini dirt bike frames are similar but not easy enough for me to convert seeing as my metalwork skills are zero.

If I could pay the $ price, I'd be much more tempted, but with shipping and VAT, I don't think I can stomach it.

Canyouseeitnow said:
250w with big heavy tires and batter placed that high... This thing will be slow and annoying.

You are throwing away the functional aspect of a bike, that is cheap to maintain and a sizing that fits you for some aesthetics.

It looks cool that's about it.

I think it is 1 of the ugliest and stupidest ebike designs Ive seen to date. Cant believe anyone would spend $1000 on it.

The frame is rigid , and small, which means for anyone that is taller, it would be uncomfortable. I imagine trying to pedal it would also be inefficient since the riders legs
are so cramped up tight on that small frame. A 250 watt motor ? that's gonna be pathetic with anyone that weighs more then 160 lbs, or tries to go up a steep hill.

GARBAGE.

I'm gonna guess that if they sell these at $1000 , it probably cost about $200 to manufacture one .

Back