BBS HD build & KMC chain

tommie

10 W
Just finishing off my BBS HD build and i`ve had an issue with a new KMC chain, it`s just too short!, 116 links - my fault really.

The chainwheel is 46T and the cassette is 7 spd 11 - 34T so trying to get the chain up onto the rear 34T is just impossible.

So, should i lengthen it, would that then be a weak part, or would it be better to get one of the longer one piece chains?

What is the best route to take ?

I usually buy my chains in bulk, knowing that I will go through them and that it usually takes more than 116 links on my bikes. All you need to do is have a chain breaker tool and some quick connect links that are designed for your particular chain in order to marry 2 chains. Alternatively, if you are careful, you can get away with pushing the pin back into one of the links rather than using a quick connect. I've done both with success and don't have a favorite between the 2 options.

If going the latter route, just make sure you don't push the pin all the way through with breaking the chain. That way, you don't have to fiddle with trying to shove that flared end back through a tiny hole.

2 split links in your chain won't be a problem.
I run mine like that.

there's no problem running 2 quick links in a chain. just buy a second chain and add the links you need.

In theory, the quick link is the weakest part of the chain, but I've never had one break. I've broken many, many chains over the years. I tend to be hard on them. but never have I had a break on a quick link.

Back