Where to buy geared rear hub motor kit?

jcool3

100 mW
Specifically looking for 36v 500 watt rear hub kit. Less than $350? Everything on ebay seem to be
gearless, brushless motors. Can't seem to find one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=geared+hub+motor&sprefix=geared+hub%2Caps%2C173&crid=3590B2G2AMNJ9
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=geared%20hub%20motor&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
https://www.google.com/search?q=36v+500w+geared+hub+motor&oq=36v+500w+geared+hub+motor&aqs=chrome..69i57.17729j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Have a look at ChangZhou SuRing Motor Technology Company Ltd, on Aliexpress and contact their Jack Chen. Excellent company, fantastic service and great products.

Highly recommended!Check out this recommended store on AliExpress. Find great products at low prices!
http://s.aliexpress.com/rMvaqMVF
(from AliExpress Android)

wesnewell said:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=geared+hub+motor&sprefix=geared+hub%2Caps%2C173&crid=3590B2G2AMNJ9
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=geared%20hub%20motor&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
https://www.google.com/search?q=36v+500w+geared+hub+motor&oq=36v+500w+geared+hub+motor&aqs=chrome..69i57.17729j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Problem is searches for geared motor also bring up gearless motor. The only one I came up with less than $350 was from Ebikeling, but they are out of stock. :( :(

Couple things to not skimp on
Battery
Charger
Buy quality products that will last over your range of your ebike experience.
Dont forget to buy Torque Arms

Solid places to buy
www.ebikes.ca
www.em3ev.com
www.lunacycle.com
MXUS https://ebikemotor.en.alibaba.com/?spm=a2700.details.shnsopsi9.1.697a8c3eez2kDD
Greentime on Aliexpress https://evfittinggreentime.aliexpress.com/store/313864

www.ebikekit.com

Questionable Hit & Miss Not Bad Bad, Can be Good
BMS Battery https://bmsbattery.com/

jcool3 said:
Problem is searches for geared motor also bring up gearless motor. The only one I came up with less than $350 was from Ebikeling, but they are out of stock. :( :(

I've bought two of his rear wheel geared motor kits. They're not fancy, being LED models. The motor on a 26" wheel will do about 18-20 mph. PAS implementation is only 3 levels and not as smooth as a KT torque simulation controller. Each PAS level is good for a certain speed. Pedal faster than that, and the motor assist drops off. It's a nice system for exercise.

Search for ebikeling on ebay or internet. They have various geared hubs of limited inventory but they replenish stock at intervals.

ebikeling home page
eBay
Check back often to catch new inventory.

Typically harder to find a real cheap deal on the 500w rated geared motor kits. These are the ones able to handle up to 1500w if you push them.

The 350w kit can be found cheap, but often only in front hub for that cheap. Those are a bit weak if you are heavy, or worse, heavy and have a steep hill. They work ok though, for slower speeds, and getting a 200 pound rider up a 5% grade.

One of the more expensive 500w rear kits out there at E bikekit will be 25% off on cyber Monday. Still $450 or so, but that's a good deal for a bit nicer kit.

If you are on a budget, just get the DD motor. They work fine, are very rugged, and will coast like a geared motor if you just barely tickle the throttle so the motor does not drag.

If you plan lots of riding with the power off though, you DO want the lightest, 350w geared kit. IMO, at E bikeling, their 500w kit is actually that smaller 350w rated motor, which is often given up to 700w no problem. So their version is 500w, that's not a lie, but its not the 500w rated motor that can handle up to 1500w for moderate duration.

DrkAngel said:
Search for ebikeling on ebay or internet. They have various geared hubs of limited inventory but they replenish stock at intervals.

ebikeling home page
eBay
Check back often to catch new inventory.
Stock replenished today!
eBay has 26" front and rear
Home page has 700C also.

For ebikeling, I liked the version with the 810LED display. Mine had 63V capacitors in the 36V 22A controller, so I occasionally run it at 48V, It will run 20/24mph on 36/48V. I cannot recommend the SW900 LCD version because the speedometer didn't work when coasting and PAS was screwed up. Maybe they fixed that. Instead, I use a KT sine wave controller.

Again, fine to run the ebikeling 350w rated motor on 1000w, but not up big ass hills if your ass is big. Cool they show in stock. Cooler if they are. ( good enough if they are just in US customs at the moment)

Those smaller geared motors are great, do fine for most people. Just not the big guy towing a trailer up that hill is all. Personally, I can fry those smaller motors in 20 min easy as pie if I run it hard, like off road riding. This is more a climate problem I have, than anything else.

FWIW, no geared motor can supply speedo input when coasting. This is because it is reading the hall sensors. When coasting, the motor core is not turning on a geared type motor, so the speedo reads 0 mph. If you really really need speedo for a geared motor, just add a regular bike speedo, or use a controller with a stand alone CA for display.

dogman dan said:
Those smaller geared motors are great, do fine for most people. Just not the big guy towing a trailer up that hill is all. Personally, I can fry those smaller motors in 20 min easy as pie if I run it hard, like off road riding. This is more a climate problem I have, than anything else.
Controller is labeled 36V/48V and 22A
36V x 22A = 792w max battery supplied power for up to 500w motor output
Reportedly geared for ~20mph it is important to maintain above 10mph under full throttle, to increase efficiency = less damaging heat!
800 controller watts at 15mph might produce 640w of power and 160w of heat
800 controller watts at 5mph might produce 160w of power and 640w of heat
Remember! ... geared hub motors are specifically designed as assist, no drag when pedal only, pedal assist highly recommended to maintain efficient speed.

See also - Ebikeling 500w Geared Hub Kit

dogman dan said:
FWIW, no geared motor can supply speedo input when coasting. This is because it is reading the hall sensors. When coasting, the motor core is not turning on a geared type motor, so the speedo reads 0 mph. If you really really need speedo for a geared motor, just add a regular bike speedo, or use a controller with a stand alone CA for display.

That I know, but there was no input on the ebikeling controller that I could find for an external speed sensor. Tried all the unused pads, but maybe I could have tried some more. Really should be one. Seller had no idea.

Yes, the $10 bike computers are a lot more accurate. Problem was that PAS1 and PAS5 were exactly the same. Any motion of the crank sent the bike to top speed, so it was impossible to pedal slow. I'm used to the torque simulation mode on KT controllers. Even the crude PAS on my BBS02 was better than the SW900.

I originally wanted the SW900 to support 36/48V. However, it doesn't display voltage like an LCD3. I can run the 36V 810LED unit on 36/48, although the LVC is wrong for the higher voltage, so I have to be aware. The voltage regulator in the 810LED is able to send the right voltages for PAS on either voltage, and the 3 level PAS suits my riding.

They should have a plug for an external speedo input on those controllers IMO.

Re the 500w ebikeling kit, Yes, 700 or so max watts with that kit on 36v, which is plenty to get up even very steep hills. But if the hill is long, and the ass is big, then there IS a risk of melting down those smaller motors.
This can happen even in cool climates, if the rider weighs enough. This is why EBK first put a 200 pound rider limitation on the warranty of 350w rated gearmotors, then finally just stopped selling them. Too many fat ass riders were killing them on steep Pennsylvania and West Virginia hills, then wanting a new one. They very seldom have a warranty claim on the 500w rated gearmotors. They don't start failing till the rider plus cargo weighs around 350 pounds.

Again, a great choice for riders intending to mostly pedal with that motor off. Plenty of assist on hills for those who pedal hard anyway. But if you not that guy, and have long steep hills, or want to tow trailers, get a much stronger motor. ( better still, a mid drive) If you are crawling up the hill less than 10 mph, you are melting the motor soon. Then it's just a question of how long the hill is. 3 miles will often do er.

I'm saying this because this used to be my job. EBK would send me motors, and I would kill em. Then report what it took to do it. I always found the little motors easy to murder, with a big hill and no pedaling.

I am in the process of installing the ebikeling geared kit right now and am concerned about the problems with the PAS using the lcd. Do I need a different lcd or controller to have a useful PAS. Ideally I would like to be able to set the amount of assistance for each level. I have a Rad Rover and do 90% of my riding in PAS 1 and 2. 1 provides 70 watts of assist and 2 is 140. I was hoping for something similar for this bike. I am 70 years old and much more interested in the workout than speed. I live in flat central Florida so hills are not an issue.

DRGam -- I bought my SW900 kit 11 months ago. You got yours recently. SW900's are a popular display. Aren't they used on your RAD too? ANyway, I had contacted the vendor with my issues, and I was not the only one. Perhaps the issue had been fixed. Put your kit together and tell us.

To all commenting here, I'm in the same boat. I want the exact "solution" listed on Bafang's OEM web page with their BB torque sensor and their controller as shown here: https://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-systems/drive-system/front/h400-drive-system.html

But I can't find anyone who sells it in the USA ... It has what you'all are talking about - semi-sophisticated torque sensing PAS and it seems to support all their displays that use UART ...

Drgam said:
I am in the process of installing the ebikeling geared kit right now and am concerned about the problems with the PAS using the lcd. Do I need a different lcd or controller to have a useful PAS. Ideally I would like to be able to set the amount of assistance for each level. I have a Rad Rover and do 90% of my riding in PAS 1 and 2. 1 provides 70 watts of assist and 2 is 140. I was hoping for something similar for this bike. I am 70 years old and much more interested in the workout than speed. I live in flat central Florida so hills are not an issue.

Did you ever get a good result? I went back to mine and tried a newer controller with the LCD display. I tried adjusting the P11 and P12 parameters. With default settings, it was like 400-450W in PAS 1. The best I could do was get it down around 200-250 watts in PAS 1. This involved raising the time before the controller responded to the cadence and lowering the initial power. Still faster than I want, about 13-14 mph. WIth my KT controller and LCD3 display (about $80), the same motor will use only 100W in PAS 1.

It's a little better with the digital 810LED display that also works with the controller. Only 3 PAS levels, but the speeds are a bit slower. Maybe the seller will let you swap displays.

Back