Don't judge me, I normally don't stand for anything but high quality work, the whole platform will change soon. I prefer a custom TIG-welded Aluminium battery container as opposed to a bag and a microcontroller in direct contact with my legs. For the time being I'm riding this thing
Ignoring the thrown-togetherness, I'm on Cloud 9... the power, speed and silence has FAR exceeded my expectations and it just gets better from here. I'm looking forward to soon having something that's operational and also NOT a death trap. The project is now:
- Trek 4500 with a seized front fork and no back disc
- Voilamart "1500W" motor. Dirt cheap, runs great, putting ferrofluid in it soon because why not.
- Lunacycle 60V battery (66V fully charged, 20AH) Ton of power. Couldn't be happier with their product.
- Homemade E-bike controller.
- E.R.T. 3kW sinewave motor controller. Silent, smooth, and just WORKS. Super happy.
- No torque arms yet, it's a terrible decision to ride it right now, the CNC-plasma-cutter guy will have them soon
- Programmed limits keep the motor from spinning out of its mount
Top speed is far, far faster than I want to ride this thing right now, but I'll admit to doing a controlled downhill run to 40MPH. At about 50% throttle and ~1700W it's going 35MPH. I think I can see a few sides of the coin. The pothole-conversation is highly situational, and nuanced...in my case, I simply DONT hit the potholes because I put 4K miles on the route last year and I know exactly where they are. Given 4,000 miles of previous low-speed experience and a well-known route, a hardtail @ 30MPH is just not going to be an issue. At all. However, had I started out this way, I can see major injury.
I bought a full-suspension bike for $80 yesterday, for the purpose of feeling like an idiot when my eyes landed on the big spring where the battery goes
I don't know what I'm going to do. Probably re-sell it to get my 80 back, sell the Blue Trek 820 that's part of this thread, shell out a couple hundred and buy...what? What $400 FS bike am I gonna buy that will fit a triangular Lunacycle 60V? I'm a little worried, but I can stick with hardtail 30MPH discomfort.