How do I choose a motor controller

skinny

1 µW
Hello
I am asking for help in deciding which controller would work best for me. I am building a mid drive Lightningrods Small Block with a 72V battery and a CA3 on a 2008 Epic Expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The basic difference other than the dual mode are the MOSFET's as I know nothing about these things.
I am looking at the Power VeloCity 12F 4kW eBike Sinewave/Silent Controller - Dual Android-iOS-Bluetooth Programmable 4kW :
Dual mode sensored or sensorless operation: If sensors are disconnected, the controller will still spin the motor, so you won't get stranded if hall sensors fail
Sinewave power modulation makes motor run very quietly and vibration free (in sensored mode)
A wide range of features programmable wirelessly from and Android or iOS/iPhone devices
Voltage operating range 36-100v
Battery currents up to 50A
Phase currents up to 130A
12 Genuine AOT290L low resistance (RDS) MOSFETs (best specs)
Finely adjustable regenerative brake force
Adjustable 3 speed switch
Cruise control
Configurable hard or soft start option
Larger fins on the aluminum heatsink box for better heat dissipation and performance
Adjustable magnetic flux weakening for higher speeds and efficiency
Tested top unloaded speed with flux weakening enabled: 130mph at 100v
Bluetooth/Android programming is now standard.
or the
Power Velocity 12F 4kW eBike Sinewave/Silent Controller Sinewave power modulation makes motor run very quietly and vibration free
A wide range of features programmable wirelessly from and Android or iOS/iPhone devices
Voltage operating range 36-100v
Battery currents up to 50A
Phase currents up to 130A
12 Genuine IRFB4110 low resistance (RDS) MOSFETs
Finely adjustable regenerative brake force
Adjustable 3 speed switch
Cruise control
Configurable hard or soft start option
Larger fins on the aluminum heatsink box for better heat dissipation and performance
Adjustable magnetic flux weakening for higher speeds and efficiency
Tested top unloaded speed with flux weakening enabled: 130mph at 100v
Bluetooth/Android programming is now standard.
Thanx for your help and have a great day!

How to spec a controller would be a great sticky (if it exists I can’t find it)

It would be too easy, if we could just list all the specs and features that we want, and order a controller to meet them.

When you don’t have the money or qualifications to build one yourself, you have to make compromises and choose one that is readily available. So, everything is about priorities, and feedbacks. We buy those that we believe will serve our requirements the best, according to each our own priorities, and the feedback that we have from other users.

I have the same 12F PV controller you are considering having purchased it to use with the small block motor running at 52v. Mike figured out the hall wire connections, I just put the app on my phone, we turned it on and we were able to configure and set parameters in about 2 minutes. So far it is working well, how I have it set the throttle response is nice and smooth off the line but still quite snappy. It is simple simon to change settings, turn on your phone, change what you want to and hit "flash". Nice for me because I do not own a PC and Power Velocity has the app set up for IOS. Keep in mind that I have limited experience with controllers, the only other ones I have are Bafang internal ones and assorted garden variety cheap Chinese 12F and others of that sort. Just wanted to let you know it's seeming to work pretty well with the SB motor, it seems fairly quiet as well.

whatever controller you choose make sure it comes with full documentation , exact drawings with every wire description.
China brand controllers sold with no clear documentation = tons of posts on ES trying to figure how to connect.

Back