Recommendations for rear rack bag?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi guys
Looking for a fairly longer than normal bag to fit on my rear rack. Im not looking for pannier bags.
Any recommendations are appreciated!
Thanks!

One option you might look into is bags not intended for bikes. Tool bags for one, and also old camera bags from when video cameras were gigantic are some of the options out there.

Very hard to find bike bags longer than 12-13 inches. (30 cm or more) Lots of batteries are unfortunately 14 or 15 inches long.

But in the bike bags, the topeak bag and rack is one of the longer ones.

dogman dan said:
One option you might look into is bags not intended for bikes. Tool bags for one, and also old camera bags from when video cameras were gigantic are some of the options out there.

Very hard to find bike bags longer than 12-13 inches. (30 cm or more) Lots of batteries are unfortunately 14 or 15 inches long.

But in the bike bags, the topeak bag and rack is one of the longer ones.
What Dogman said and the best place to find cool bags is at a thrift store.

Home Depot and Lowes, they both have a great selection of heavy duty bags in all sizes, meant for carrying tools. DeWalt has a line of tool bags well suited for bike racks, plus check out sporting goods stores for bags meant for fishing tackle. I have bags from both sources, better and cheaper then anything sold as a bike bag!

I have found the problem is not so much about finding the bag, as much as finding a solid rack and mount it to last. Once the main problem is solved, you are not shy to fit any bag, or passenger seat.

I use football boot bags. they don't cost much from Ebay. Cut a piece of plywood the same shape as the base of the bag, then bolt it to the rack through the plywood:

Solid rack is a must, one reason I chose a cruiser with the rack welded on as part of the frame.

Mounting various metal or fabric tool bags, I like to start with attaching a thin plywood scrap. Often just with baling wire, doubled up. Then anything can be mounted with some short screws, through the bottom of the bag or box. Then a piece of camping foam, anti fatigue mat, or yoga mat padding so screw heads can't damage a battery, or other items you carry.

I am going to do what dogmandan does, weld up my own rear rack, out of steel.
Tired of alum breaking and bolts coming loose.

You should see the rack Amberwolf welded up a few years back. It could hold 200 pounds I bet. Built cross braced like a truss.

One idea I have not tried yet, make badass torque plates for a rear motor that also include a much beefier rack attachment point. This would be for an aluminum frame. Steel, just weld it on.

I had an old bike rack; an old soft cooler with a bit of PVC, two washers with the clasp of a good dog leach. I made a nice insulated very light weight bike bag. Nice for one small bag from the market or on a cold day extra coat if needed. I often carry a good camera when I ride to the beach, it seems to be water tight and dust proof. My cost was just time.

Attachments

• DSCN0204.JPG
    DSCN0204.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN0205.JPG
    DSCN0205.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 880
  • DSCN0207.JPG
    DSCN0207.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 880
Incredible rear bag, wired with key switch from forum owner/supporter. Best i ve ever found.
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/battbag-rb3.html

Back