VESC on hub motor limits question

mutenroy7

10 mW
Hi people, just wanna know exactly wether the VESC can handle 1500W or not
I know it allows you to power it with voltage up to 12S , somebody
please give lil' info about this (technical info)
Need to know if I would be able to use it with 48V 1500W hub motor.

look at the continuous amp rating.. multiply by your voltage.. and there ya go.

But i'd say the VESC is not the top choice if you are running a motor like that. Just buy any ol' ebike controller.. a DD does not need any kinda fancy or exotic controller to make it move. There's even cheapo sine wave controllers out there these days if quiet operation is what you're looking for.

In case its not entirely clear, the motor itself does not have a particular voltage limit. It may be that what they mean is, the motor will turn at a suitable rpm for a 26" bike wheel, when given 48v.

A big fat motor will want to draw a lot of amps on start up, so ideally the controller would be suitably built for big amps, if you plan on having 1500w to use. `If the wheel is big, and the magnets big, then the amp spikes will be extra big, which is harsh on controllers. The higher the rpm rating of the motor, the more its better to tone down those spikes with a smaller wheel size.

neptronix said:
look at the continuous amp rating.. multiply by your voltage.. and there ya go.

But i'd say the VESC is not the top choice if you are running a motor like that. Just buy any ol' ebike controller.. a DD does not need any kinda fancy or exotic controller to make it move. There's even cheapo sine wave controllers out there these days if quiet operation is what you're looking for.
Thanks , I need 50kph+ on flat and 37kph minimum on 12% slopes , I do weight 70 kilos (154lbs I think) and I'm planning to use 26" wheel on my build.
And what does "quiet" means? . Efficiency?

dogman dan said:
In case its not entirely clear, the motor itself does not have a particular voltage limit. It may be that what they mean is, the motor will turn at a suitable rpm for a 26" bike wheel, when given 48v.

A big fat motor will want to draw a lot of amps on start up, so ideally the controller would be suitably built for big amps, if you plan on having 1500w to use. `If the wheel is big, and the magnets big, then the amp spikes will be extra big, which is harsh on controllers. The higher the rpm rating of the motor, the more its better to tone down those spikes with a smaller wheel size.
Did my lil' research time ago about that . I know overvoltage usually takes "less risk" than to undervoltage a motor . As you've said , need exclusive controller
able to handle that huge amps "spikes" cause A can rise or drop down dramatically. Only had to double-check that, thanks.
Gotta admit budget is a problem atm.
Would be VESC unit suitable for a testing controller for 3kW and 1.5kW motor anyways? .

Digging up an older thread for a new question.
After I've seen this
https://3sk8esk8.com/

Excluding battery cost, that should bring cost of an Eboard down to within my reach. There are hubmotors on Aliexpress/Amazon that can be delivered to New Zealand for a decent price.
So my question would be:
Can any sensored 8in scooter type hub motor work with a VESC controller?

Yes, hub motors work with any 3 phase controllers. Yet they are much better running with sensored ebike controllers.

Back