Utah bikeways: my 207 mile bicycle ride

parajared

10 kW
So I decided it was time to go on a friendly dog petting adventure (cleverly disguised as a cycling trip). Unlike last time (251 miles) where I relied on solar power, or the time before that (185 miles) where I used power outlets to charge up this time I used my truck's alternator to do all the charging. The downside being to this method was that I would have to "suffer" through out-and-back trips instead of just heading out in one direction and it wasn't as "pure" as my previous trips; the upside being that I could stow a lot more creature-comforts/camping gear in the truck (vs having to cram it all in the bike panniers) and I could skip all the less interesting territory and drive myself straight to the good stuff. :D

I used caution to only charge this way when the vehicle was in operation to avoid ending up with a dead battery.
0925170833_25.jpg
batteries in an ammo can
0925170831d_25.jpg

I arc-welded an eye bolt to my truck to give me something to padlock my trike to.
0925170828_25.jpg
rsz_0921171313.jpg

Red Canyon Bicycle trail
Capture_3_50.png

Camp at Losee Canyon
rsz_0916171643e.jpg

Candy Mountain Express
candy.png

Murdock Canal Trail
murdock2_50.png

Provo River Parkway to Vivian Park became my all-time favorite ride of the lot. If I could do it all over again however I would not have rode Utah Lake to Vivian Park but instead just do the canyon section. The rest of the trail winds in and and out of traffic, is in need of signage, incomplete, and very bumpy in sections. I recommend 40.313515, -111.657265 to Vivian Park instead.
4_provo_5_50.png
View attachment 14
4_provo_3_50.png
4_provo_4_50.png

I tried to pull a stuck car out but ended up snapping a tow strap. Fortunately someone in a Jeep came along and pulled him loose.
View attachment 10
View attachment 9
5_car_extract3_50.png

I tried to camp at an overlook vicinity Mahagony Mountain but began to doubt my 2wd drive capabilities with some of the terrain I was facing and ended up chickening out and camping on smoother ground vicinity Timpooneke.
0918171933a_25.jpg

I ended up missing out on Legacy trail and Rio Grande Trails due to rain.
7_rain_50.png

Ogden River Parkway ended up being partially a dirt trail
8_Ogden_50.png

Brian Head made a nice little half-way point to stop and camp on my way to St. George
8.5_Brian_Head_50.png
0922171414b_25.jpg

Virgin River Trail ended up being a bust
View attachment 2

Snow Canyon by suggestion of Spinningmagnets
View attachment 1

Got a few looks biking around with this thing on. Believe it or not this is not the only helmet of dorkiness I have built. The other helm of dorkiness!
0918171355c_25.jpg

Trails Ridden
Red Canyon Bikeway
Candy Mountain Express
Murdock Canal Trail
Provo River Parkway
Jordan River
Ogden River Parkway
Snow Canyon

[youtube]NyBeVnVeC2s[/youtube]

Back