Giant cruiser budget build

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Giant cruiser budget build

Post by dequinox » Jun 09 2019 2:34pm

:) The strictest requirement for this was to keep it "budget focused" and "simple" to try to keep with the principles behind the build, the focus is on visual continuity, simplicity, and a retro theme. My idea was for visual similarity to roughly the 1890-1920 era, taking elements from steam engine, auto, and maybe motorcycles (especially Cafe racers). I do not want to clutter it up, however. That's why everything so far has a purpose, and I won't be slapping any junk in there just to make it look steampunk or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestions. Powder coat is what i have available, as I'm set up at home and work for it. I might dink with plating at some point, but probably not here.
Last edited by dequinox on Jun 12 2019 11:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
On a dusty pew in a vestibule sits the Devil playing pocket pool, he's waiting for the next poor fool who forgot that it was Sunday

STABLE:
HI-V (Retired); Sun Cruiser w/ Hill Topper Kit; Giant Simple Cruiser w/ Amazon 1000W Front Hub.
Parts donated by Rassy and Greenerwheels have made many of my builds possible, THANK YOU!!!

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 09 2019 3:59pm

Got the back rack fabrication mostly complete, and even managed to mock up the wood decking that will go on it. This is just pine, I'm going to use a decent hardwood later:

Next move is the battery box itself. I managed to create a pattern I am mostly happy with, any comments on the lines of it (visually) are welcome:

Oh, and I need to get those torque arms made. They are to serve to attach the front fender in addition to being a TA and providing some visual enhancement. Oh, and hooking up my S.A. hub, making some kind of shifter for it, integrating that into the battery box, make or buying a head and tailight that match the looks of this, making a metal chainguard, and and and and.... :shock: :pancake: :banana: :banana: :banana:
On a dusty pew in a vestibule sits the Devil playing pocket pool, he's waiting for the next poor fool who forgot that it was Sunday

STABLE:
HI-V (Retired); Sun Cruiser w/ Hill Topper Kit; Giant Simple Cruiser w/ Amazon 1000W Front Hub.
Parts donated by Rassy and Greenerwheels have made many of my builds possible, THANK YOU!!!

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 10 2019 1:17pm

Back to a potential "Schwinn Stik-Shift" style shift lever design, I ran across an excellent potential design on the chopaderos forums:
http://chopaderos.com/forums/index.php?topic=121.0

This would allow me to utilize the shifter provided with my Sturmey Archer hub, and not have to reverse-engineer the correct shift spacing while designing a whole new one. I love it when a solution already exists... I'm a shameless copy-cat when necessary. :lol:

A test look:

STABLE:

wturber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by wturber » Jun 10 2019 3:19pm

I'm not a fan of the shifter or the placement which should be more foreward. In my mind, that's a 60's shifter and the bike is more 40's & 50's
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 11 2019 10:55am

I was thinking I didn't really like it under there either. I kind of want it more up on the top-tube like the 60's Schwinn Stingray had it:

I'm not going to use either shifter's look in the above photos. I'm especially not a fan of the I still haven't figured out exactly what I want it to look like yet... need to look at some 1920-1940s cars for inspiration. I'm trying to avoid the aesthetic of the 50s if possible as I'm not really on it with this color scheme and frame shape already.

This is a 1940 Schwinn:
And this is a 1950 one:

While they have similar lines in the frame, I feel like there's a lot more going on in a 50s design, as if it's a little too busy. I think it's pretty, but over complex for what I'm trying to do. I'm going for the simpler look of the former because it's kind of in line with the frame shape already, and I wanted to keep this bike visually simple.
wturber wrote:
Jun 10 2019 3:19pm
I'm not a fan of the shifter or the placement which should be more foreward. In my mind, that's a 60's shifter and the bike is more 40's & 50's

STABLE:

wturber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by wturber » Jun 11 2019 11:11am

I think you can find examples from the 40s and the 50s that are either busy or plain. I think the aesthetic was pretty similar. The top tube drop of your frame is clearly not like either of the bikes shown and I frankly don't recall a drop like than in vintage bikes. I could be wrong, but that seems like a modern take on an old style. So in the end your bike will just be its own thing.

The Stingray shifter is doubly bad for me. First, it is a faux car part on a bicycle. It was so boys could pretend their bike was a "hot rod." I'm generally not a fan of such things. Though somehow the faux gas tanks they put on 40s and 50s bikes don't bother me so much. Second, it just reflects the wrong mentality (hot rod) for something that is more cruiser style

OTOH, if you painted flames on the gas tank/battery compartment, along with the more sloped "fast back" top tube, maybe it would start to make more sense.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 11 2019 11:24am

That's true, there were definitely samples with more or less bling in both eras.
My main issue with just putting the grip-shifter on is that it looks completely wrong on this bike for looks. The stik shift was something that started to approach a better aesthetic for me. I suppose I could look at a plain lever-shifter, or come up with my own look.

*EDIT: Oh, I think I found the look I want, it even has the right branding on it:

I hadn't see these before. I would place it on the side of the battery box something like below, or perhaps mid-way from the seat tube to the top tube:

wturber wrote:
Jun 11 2019 11:11am
I think you can find examples from the 40s and the 50s that are either ... start to make more sense.
Last edited by dequinox on Jun 11 2019 11:45am, edited 1 time in total.

STABLE:

wturber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by wturber » Jun 11 2019 11:28am

Well, to keep it looking era, it should have in internal hub gear set, not a derailer and freewheel. Then you get a simple thumb shifter that would be exactly what the era calls for

Oops! Went back and looked. You are going with an internal hub. So yeah. Just an era thumb shifter. If you want to fancy it up, maybe you could encase it between two discs so that it would look sorta like a mini hub motor or some-such.
"Commuter - DC Booster"

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 11 2019 12:09pm

Yeah I am quite torn between going more steampunk (1890-1910 railroad-style look) or like 20-40's era more on the bicycle-side. I'm betting one of these lever-shifters is going to be difficult to get a-hold of for a decent price.
wturber wrote:
Jun 11 2019 11:28am
Well, to keep it looking era, ... encase it between two discs so that it would look sorta like a mini hub motor or some-such.

STABLE:

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 12 2019 11:21pm

Ok taking a brief look ahead to building the main integrated battery, it optimistically looks like i could fit about 130 cells within the template I've made for the box. The nearest reasonable configuration is 12s10p, which leaves me a little wiggle room for extra cells in some strings to make up for the fact that I'm using laptop batteries (the goal is to make sure each // string has the same capacity).

Optomistically again at 2.0 amp hours per cell, I'll be at right around 900 watt hours, which is respectable for this build... More than I was hoping. If my figuring on 25 W-hr/mi is correct, that puts me at a nearly 40 mile range. I'm probably stretching that figure a bit. Easily enough for my work commute though.

STABLE:

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 15 2019 1:32am

Did a real run tonight just to pick up an efficiency figure. I did 9.83 miles on 199.5 W-hr, so 20.3 W-hr/mile. With the above 900 ish w-hr pack i should be able to get around 40 miles mostly non pedal riding.

STABLE:

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 17 2019 5:29pm

A concept update, since I'm thinking about putting a "crate siding" onto the walls of the battery box. I bought a couple 2x6 pieces of nice port orford cedar.

STABLE:

wturber   1 MW

1 MW

Post by wturber » Jun 17 2019 5:56pm

I like the wood, but I wouldn't use aged wood. I'd make it look clean and new.
"Commuter - DC Booster"

dequinox   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dequinox » Jun 17 2019 6:12pm

Yeah I'll use fresh port orford (yellow) cedar for the siding. I'm going to make it look "crate-like" on the sides by doing a slightly too-thick glue-up of strips about 1-1/2" wide, and then planing it to 1/4" thick... I think. I might have to experiment a little with the look. I do want to put the giant decal on there as well.

Also I think I'm going to leave the aluminum/chrome highlights for now... like the goose-neck and seat-post. I watched a video or two on plating, and I think I could get it done at some point. I'd do it in nickel.
wturber wrote:
Jun 17 2019 5:56pm

STABLE:

E-HP   1 kW

1 kW

Post by E-HP » Jun 17 2019 7:49pm

dequinox wrote:
Jun 17 2019 6:12pm
Yeah I'll use fresh port orford (yellow) cedar for the siding. I'm going to make it look "crate-like" on the sides by doing a slightly too-thick glue-up of strips about 1-1/2" wide, and then planing it to 1/4" thick... I think. I might have to experiment a little with the look. I do want to put the giant decal on there as well.

Also I think I'm going to leave the aluminum/chrome highlights for now... like the goose-neck and seat-post. I watched a video or two on plating, and I think I could get it done at some point. I'd do it in nickel.
wturber wrote:
Jun 17 2019 5:56pm
I'm interested in how this turns out. I'm thinking about putting a cargo box on my rear rack made of wood slats and using 1" aluminum angle on the four corners for reinforcement. I'm thinking about using ebony stain since the bike is black, but a lighter stain may look good too. It's all personal preference, but seeing other examples of wood being used is helpful.