Giant cruiser budget build

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
dequinox
10 kW
10 kW

Re: Giant cruiser budget build

Post by dequinox » Nov 06, 2017 11:38 am

Oh I plan to get a little use out of them at least after all that work! I knew it would be an uphill climb putting that all back together, but it was worth the learning alone. I hadn't ever worked with pouch cells before, so it was a good experience at least. I still have the other battery to go through too!

I will check the charger's output voltage... it should be about 57.6V is that correct? 3.6v per cell?
Rassy wrote:Sounds promising. I have had chargers that have their total voltage output drop a little, ... I hope you get some good use out of those old cells after all the work you did to get to this point. :D
What is matter? Never mind.
What is mind? No matter.

- Thomas Hewitt Key

STABLE:
HI-V (Retired); Sun Cruiser w/ Hill Topper Kit; Giant Simple Cruiser w/ Amazon 1000W Front Hub.
Parts donated by Rassy and Greenerwheels have made many of my builds possible, THANK YOU!!!

Rassy
1 MW
1 MW

Post by Rassy » Nov 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I think 57.6V may be on the low side. I checked the three chargers I have and they are at 57.7V, 58.4V and 58.8V. The one I have that's on the low side sometimes has a problem bringing all the LED's on solid, but then when I switch it out for one of the others all the LEDs come on solid right away. It seems like my chargers vary a little depending on temperature and moisture, etc., but maybe it's really the batteries that are being affected.
-Rassy-
One Tadpole Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=69419
One Delta Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1291260

dequinox
10 kW
10 kW

Post by dequinox » Nov 08, 2017 9:53 am

Last night was cold. But the battery has settled around 54v after a day off the charger.

I haven't checked the charger supply voltage yet, but might be a good idea to pull a cheap one off eBay. The pricing isn't bad.

I took her out for a ride last night and topped out at 28mph on a flat sliding to gps. Not bad... then the rat wheel started making noises and wobbling again so I decided it was time to pack it in! I think the adjustment on the cone slipped so the wheel got loose. I'm not sure if I just didn't tighten it enough, or if it's shot. I found a nice wheel that matched the motor wheel and has a drum brake and an IGH (Sachs) at the CAT here on town, but will have to find my own click box and shifter for it. If it's still there I'll grab it.
What is mind? No matter.

- Thomas Hewitt Key

STABLE:
HI-V (Retired); Sun Cruiser w/ Hill Topper Kit; Giant Simple Cruiser w/ Amazon 1000W Front Hub.
Parts donated by Rassy and Greenerwheels have made many of my builds possible, THANK YOU!!!

dequinox
10 kW
10 kW

Post by dequinox » Nov 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Shifting my attention to the back wheel ...inadequacies... (brakes are locking up and the wheel is loose as **** despite me having rebuilt the coaster hub), I picked up a Sachs IGH. Now I have to find a shifter and "click-box" for it.
KIMG0914.JPG
KIMG0914.JPG (153.1 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Have to figure out the drum-brake cable as well... though I think that part is pretty simple.
KIMG0915.JPG
KIMG0915.JPG (129.37 KiB) Viewed 161 times
KIMG0916.JPG
KIMG0916.JPG (131.45 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Decent rim on it I think, we'll see if it will fit the white-walls I have.
KIMG0910.JPG
KIMG0910.JPG (130.14 KiB) Viewed 161 times
The bike as it is right now.
What is mind? No matter.

- Thomas Hewitt Key

STABLE: