Is anyone using a LYEN controller with a MAGURA throttle ?

rumme

100 kW
I just bought a 18 FET 4110 Mark II Overclocker Ready Sensorless LYEN Edition Controller. I have a magura throttle and I have to twist the throttle 1 inch before the controller/motor grabs the power signal. I want to make it so the magura throttle works as soon as I start to twist it....the 1 inch deadspot it currently has is to much wasted throttle movement. What paramters do I need to change in the Lyen program and does anyone know what number/s I should put in those paramters ? I'm running it on 72 volt battery . Thanks.

I just bought a 18 FET 4110 Mark II Overclocker Ready Sensorless LYEN Edition Controller. I have a magura throttle and I have to twist the throttle 1 inch before the controller/motor grabs the power signal. I want to make it so the magura throttle works as soon as I start to twist it....the 1 inch deadspot it currently has is to much wasted throttle movement. What paramters do I need to change in the Lyen program and does anyone know what number/s I should put in those paramaters ? I'm running it on 72 volt battery . Thanks.

This is for a rear brushless D.D. hub motor rated for 5kw.

I believe you will need a CA V3 to achieve proper settings. Or else you can make a conversion circuit to match the throttle signal voltage to the controller. Sure there are some ES members who did it before. I use simple half twist throttle.

Alan B said:
No, you just need a couple of resistors. Search for it, it's been done many times here on ES.

ty..found it...

1k resistor and 3 k resistor.

can I use a 2.7k or 3.2k resistor instead of the 3k resistor ? which 1 would be better to use ?

The lyen controllers expect a hall-throttle voltage range, so any potentiometer throttle will require external electronics (resistors at the least) to convert it's full 0-5V range into the voltage range the controller expects.

That can be anything from 0.8-1.4v at the low end (start of throttle up) up to 3-4v at the high end (full throttle). THe controller may have this on it's label or it maybe in the specs from the seller.

I'm terrible at coming up with formulas for math, but you can use the ratio of voltages you need to exclude at the top and bottom end, and the "leftover voltage" that the throttle needs to be at, and the resistance of the throttle itself, to figure out the resistances you need to put in series with the throttle.

There will be two resistors. One goes from throttle positive to 5v. The other goes from throttle ground to ground. Throttle signal out just goes to throttle in on the controller as usual.

There are a number of threads about using pots on hall throttle controllers, though there's no one search that finds them all. :(

I think these might have the most detailed info but I haven't read them in a very long time.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8026
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9413
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21143

Here's a spreadsheet calculator for Maguras or other resistive throttles that should give you a pretty accurate resistor choice.

Since resistors come in fixed sizes that are unlikely to be direct hit to the calculated value, pick the next smaller available resistor from the computed value. This spread doesn't take into account dead zones that sometimes occur at the ends of Maguras (extra resistance that cannot be traversed by the throttle motion) but the slightly smaller high and low resistors will take care of that without special attention.

The screen shot in the post shows resistor values that *should* work okay if you don't have a meter or don't want to fuss with getting values for your specific controller/throttle mix. If you try the values in the screen shot and can't get to full speed on WOT, reduce the top resistor. If the bike creeps or you get a throttle fault on power-up, reduce the bottom resistor. A small dead zone at each end is not a bad thing...

See: Magura Resistor Calculator Spreadsheet

Back