bafang controller, twist throttle recommendation

steveu88

100 µW
can someone recommend a good controller and twist throttle match for the bafang 48v 750w geared hub motor? thanks.

Need more info about usage/etc; please copy the questions from here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302
and post them and the answers to the thread we're in now. Then we can give you relevant advice to you, instead of just to each advice-giver's own uses and experiences.

If you want decent pedal assist functions, get a KT controller. The S12S sine wave one from BMS battery would be a good match. You have to buy an LCD to go with it, and you can use any of their throttles and PASs with it, it might be a good idea to buy a wheel-speed sensor too in case your motor doesn't have one.

With one of those controllers, you'll hardly need to use the throttle. They make the motor run very quiet and smooth, plus you get all the speed, power, voltage, distance, etc. info from the LCD.

sorry, did'nt realize it was such a complicated question. i'll be riding on mostly flat terrain with slight grades. 17ah battery, 24" tires. looking for 20-25mph, 15-20mi range. the biggest issue is NO PEDALING, all motor. are those realistic numbers?

I have a Bafang fatbike motor, probably rated at 500W. Same one they put on a Sondors. I got the motor from CNEbikes.com two years ago. I use a 25A KT-controller. Top speed on 48V is around 22 mph.

Per my wattmeter, it will burn .4AH/mile (20 WH/mile) on pedal assist if I try to hold 20 mph when pedalling. If not pedalling, I'd estimate at least 30 WH/mile minimum, maybe more. Limited experience here. I just ride for fun, avoid streets that have car traffic, and usually poke along at bike speeds.

A 17AH battery is 816 watt-hr (48V x 17ah ), but since they use best case specs, derate that to a generous 720 Watt-hr. So 720 watt/hr divided by 30 wh/mile gives 24 miles. The math says it's possible to do what you want.

The controller and throttle have virtually no effect on speed. That comes from the motor and battery combination. At 48v, you need about 22 amps to reach 25 mph on a slight incline.without pedalling. If you're not going to pedal, just about any controller and throttle should be able to do the job, as long as it can provide the current. Assuming that your motor is the normal hall-sensor one (check first), you need a controller for sensored motors, not a sensorless one, though some are dual mode.

Back