Recommendation for painless commuter e-bike conversion

geek.guam

1 µW
Greetings e-bike enthusiast,
I've been researching e-bike kits to convert my 1999 Bianchi Advantage Hybrid bicycle. It's an aluminum frame with chrome moly front fork. Except for the front tire, all parts are original. Here are some pictures.
nVfEP

1999_bianchi_hybrid_small.pngI'm interested in a rear hub motor conversion, probably a geared motor for less weight. Current rear hub is 8 speed Shimano FH-MC38A freewheel cartridge. I just gave the bike a tune up and so I've ridden it a couple of times to work and back. I'm looking for a relatively painless e-bike conversion to make my bicycle commute a little easier. It's been a while since I've been riding, and I can see how an e-bike conversion will also provide me some much needed exercise for my 52 year old body. :D

Here are some other relevant info:

1. Desired max speed on level ground: 20 mph max. I'm not going for any speed records here. Just interested in easing my commute.
2. Desired max range at what cruising speed. mph or kph: I'd say causing speed is 15 mph, with a max range of 15-20 miles.
3. Wheel size of bike you want to convert: 700 x 38C
4. Brake type of motor wheel: V-brakes
5. Rider weight: 200 lbs
6. Terrain: Mostly flat with the occasional 5% grade
7. Budget: ~$800 with battery

I appreciate any advise you can give me. Thank you!

5 % Grade, Where are you located ?

All other Items are list are easy to do .

The only consideration is , how long is that 5 % grade you have to go up . and can you get a running start to go up it ?

sabongi said:
https://em3ev.com/shop/upgrade-mac-kit-with-4750v-battery-1500w-max/
Thanks for the recommendation, sabongi. I have a couple of questions about the em3ev Upgrade Mac Ebike Kit.

1. What is the difference between the 6 FET and 9 FET controller?

2. For the Mac Motor and Axel type, I can choose between a) standard rear cassette, or b) standard rear freewheel.
If I choose (a) rear cassette, I would need to remove by current 8 speed cassette and add it to the new axel. Do I need a special too for that? I've read I may need spacer washers. Will they come in the kit? Or do I need to purchase it separately?
If I choose (b) rear freewheel, i would just need to buy their 8 speed freewheel and screw it on the new axel, right? That would eliminate the need for me to remove my 8 speed cassette from my old wheel, right? Same question about washers.

3. Finally, is Cycle Analyst my only option for display? It seems awfully expensive for a display.
Thanks!

geek.guam said:
sabongi said:
Thanks for the recommendation, sabongi. I have a couple of questions about the em3ev Upgrade Mac Ebike Kit.

Current. More current, more torque.

2. For the Mac Motor and Axel type, I can choose between a) standard rear cassette, or b) standard rear freewheel.
If I choose (a) rear cassette, I would need to remove by current 8 speed cassette and add it to the new axel. Do I need a special too for that? I've read I may need spacer washers. Will they come in the kit? Or do I need to purchase it separately?
If I choose (b) rear freewheel, i would just need to buy their 8 speed freewheel and screw it on the new axel, right? That would eliminate the need for me to remove my 8 speed cassette from my old wheel, right? Same question about washers.
Sorry can't help you there. Suggest you email them!

3. Finally, is Cycle Analyst my only option for display? It seems awfully expensive for a display.
Thanks!
Not at all. It's just a matter of compatibility. EM3EV controller is already wired for it. You can get a used CA here, or shop for a cheaper one and fidlle with the wires.

geek.guam said:
sabongi said:

Thanks!
2. The freewheel is easier to install without a tool. It's cheaper. The cassette is better for long term use. You'll want to get a new cassette (or freewheel) unless your current one has an 11T gear. You'll want that once you've gone to electric. BTW, I used a freewheel on my latest build. There's nothing really wrong with them -- they were used for years on some great bikes. But if you're going to put thousands of miles on your bike, you might be better off with a cassette.
3. The CA is well worth it, to me. But YMMV.

If you get a freewheel, you also need to get a special tool to take it off, not one from your local bike shop, those work with the thin Skewers,
you will need to get one with a hole in the center big enough to go on a solid rear 10mm axle that is on the drive side of Rear Hub Motors.

A 9 fet controller will allow you to use/put more amps through the motor, from what you write as to your route a 6 fet would work fine.
( I use a 6 fet controller on both of my Q100c CST Rear Hub Motors on my 700c , it is rated at 15 amps +/- 1 amp,
on my somewhat light weight Road Bike.

You can get the Cycle Analyst V 2.3/2.4 ... for less/cheaper than the V 3.0/3.1 .

ScooterMan101 said:
If you get a freewheel, you also need to get a special tool to take it off, not one from your local bike shop, those work with the thin Skewers,
you will need to get one with a hole in the center big enough to go on a solid rear 10mm axle that is on the drive side of Rear Hub Motors.

A 9 fet controller will allow you to use/put more amps through the motor, from what you write as to your route a 6 fet would work fine.
( I use a 6 fet controller on both of my Q100c CST Rear Hub Motors on my 700c , it is rated at 15 amps +/- 1 amp,
on my somewhat light weight Road Bike.

You can get the Cycle Analyst V 2.3/2.4 ... for less/cheaper than the V 3.0/3.1 .
The tool would definitely come in handy if you ever have to take it off. I'm thinking you could probably put it on just by hand if you need to. Normal pressure from the chain as you pedal tends to tighten anyway, doesn't it?

If all you use it for is a display, the V2.3 is fine I guess. But the V3 does so much more... And it leaves you with only one cable to run from the front of your bike to the controller, so it's a neater looking install if that matters.

I put a freewheel on by hand but needed the tool to take it off,

It is best to buy the tool when you buy the Motor/Controller, and other items. most vendors that sell hub motors with the screw on freewheel threads on the motor case should sell the tool.

Freewheel gears are normally a maximum of 7 speed. 8 speed is normally cassette (free-hub). It's important that you ate sure about which type you have to get a suitable motor.

Get them to put an 8 speed cassette on the cassette version kit would be the easiest. Or, just get the cassette removal tool for 20 bucks or so.

If you end up going freewheel, no big deal really, just get it with 7 speed, and adjust the stops on your rear derailleur to the 7 speed gear. The cassette will allow 11t gear, and faster top speeds. But if you only want 20 mph, the 14t gear on the freewheel type will be ok.

36v battery all you need for 20 mph, or the 5% hills. But 48v is faster, and able to climb steeper hills.

Thanks for all the advise. Back to hub motor options, I am interested in light weight motors, so geared motors are preferred. What do you guys think about the Q100CST , or Q100H, or Q128?

geek.guam said:
Thanks for all the advise. Back to hub motor options, I am interested in light weight motors, so geared motors are preferred. What do you guys think about the Q100CST , or Q100H, or Q128?

They're all good motors. Q100H and Q128H are for freewheel gears, Q100C and Q128C are for cassette gears. The Q128 is double the size of the Q100, so it can produce/handle a lot more power. It's just a question of whether you want light weight or high power. Running higher power means a heavier battery and bigger controller, so it's not just the motor that contributes to the weight. You need to think about the whole system.

Regarding the 9 fet controllers. It's not just a qustion of power. 9 fet controllers are square wave, so best avoided. Get yourself a nice 6 or 12 fet sine-wave one. Bear in mind that 12 fet ones are four times the size, not double.

d8veh said:
geek.guam said:

They're all good motors. Q100H and Q128H are for freewheel gears, Q100C and Q128C are for cassette gears. The Q128 is double the size of the Q100, so it can produce/handle a lot more power.

I've been looking at 201 rpm Q128H vs. Q128C. The bike and I weigh 110kg, there is a 1.3km 8% grade hill on my commute. I'm not super strong, maybe good for 150W. I don't need speed on the flat. I don't care between freehub and freewheel.

I like the looks of the BMS 09-case 20A controller & battery, seems neat, all waterproof connectors.

Will this work well? At 48V is the 20A controller enough for the Q128H? On the site people say there is no 48V Q128H, but it is listed at BMS, is it OK? Anyone try the BMS torque sensor?

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/701-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-torque-sensor-battery.html

Thoughts or other ideas?

Back