Donate a CycleAnalyst trip file?

stonehengesc

10 µW
Hey ES members,

I'm looking for your trip log files, especially heavier bikes+riders and/or setups that go up to 3~5 kW.

The reason is that I'm doing the feasibility analysis on a Honda 2kW generator for a series-hybrid setup on this 5 kW pet :

https://hackaday.io/project/18908-portable-battery-pack-for-light-electric-vehicle

I managed to do an initial mock with the CA demo trip in Seattle, which went quite well, except for the fact that it's a very light bike and there are a few pauses on that trip. Even though it's preliminary, I'll share with you the generated vs spent power in Wh. See attached.

I'm trying to get more extreme examples, to confirm that this would work even when we're asking a lot from the system.

So, let me know if you're able to send over your log files, it'll help me to dimension the system based on field data instead of overdimensioning everything.

I don't have a way to log the data, but if there's any info I can give you from my SB Cruiser or CrazyBike2 rides, I'd be happy to try.

That's a pretty good idea! I think I can get a pretty good approximation with :

* Ah + V pack or Wh - Energy consumption throughout the trip
* Length of the trip (time) - This would need to be somewhat precise, not gmap approximations - reason is to account for time stopped in traffic lights (which is one of the big advantages of the system I'm designing)

I could consider more but for the sort of approximation I'm aiming for this should be good enough.

Any data helps, thanks! If this encourages people, I'll publish the results.

It sounds like the info I already have in the SB Cruiser and CrazyBike2 threads might help, in places where I list all the CA readout fields for various trips. LIke this one:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=550#p1313959
with this data format:
unknown start voltage (forgot to note it, wasn't fully charged, but had cleared stats to get them for just this trip)
53.0v end voltage
48.8V min

5.299 miles
20.2MPH max
13.1MPH avg
24m15s triptime

371.99Wh
70.6Wh/mile

7.110 Ah
0.6% regen
7.156Ah fwd
0.0431Ah regen
-16.5A min
71.41A max

The triptime listed is that on the CA, so it only counts time in motion, not time spent at lights, etc. Distance is that measured by the CA.

Or this post, where I was hauling nearly 600lbs of dogfood (might not be useful because I forgot to note the triptime)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833&start=550#p1314960
unknown start voltage (forgot to note it, wasn't fully charged, but had cleared stats to get them for just this trip)
53.6v end voltage
49.2V min

4.821 miles
20.1MPH max
12.3MPH avg
(forgot to note triptime)

365.65Wh
76.0Wh/mile

6.971 Ah
0.5% regen
7.0101Ah fwd
0.0376Ah regen
-19.0A min
70.01A max

But if you look thru my threads, you'll find I note this data down for various conditions and trips, like whenever I am doing something different than usual, or when I'm testing out changes to the bike or trike. I no longer note every single trip, but I try to keep enough data there to see patterns in things when there are changes.

This data is also in other threads, like my Delta Tripper trike, and the old Fusin 1000W Test Bike (kit review thread), etc.

I've got logs from a batt-man for a BBSHD fat-bike and just keep generating them day after day! :wink: Sounded like you were looking for data from a larger direct drive however....

i-bwvQkXT-L.jpg

i-kfFJM6Z-L.jpg

AZeBikeGuy - any log helps.

I'm evaluating the use case for a 5 kW bike / 2 kW genset but I can use everybody's commutes as data points. I'm doing something ugly but precise enough which is to apply a scaling factor for a theoretical generator.

For example a 1700W bike got a ~650W generator. It's not perfect but it will tell me interesting things about how feasible the idea is. I threw the numbers on my commute and it worked quite well. Now I'm trying to increase the number of samples to increase confidence in the setup.

That'll be interesting to have since I got some logs also from Grin technologies and in some cases a Genset would be only be a range extender, not necessarily saving the day.

No worries - I'll send you some logs. They are generally the last hour and a half of riding. I also [manually] log the overall distance, Ah, Wh, moving averages speed, initial and final voltages for just about every ride.

I'm interested in your project. I worked on something similar using an RC two-stroke (2.5hp) driving a permanent magnet generator. Never got much further than initial proof of concept though (no further funding from the interested parties...) My interest isn't so much for the e-bikes but the requirements are pretty much the same...

Thanks, got it. Will create a new project on Hackaday.io with the details -- including analysis on the 8 samples I've got including yours.

Back