Winter Projects ... ?

DrkAngel

1 GW
Me ... I've been stocking up on projects to keep me busy this Winter ...

3-5 eZip rear wheel rebuilds:
2 with broken spokes, to be respoked with 13ga SS spokes and washers to pull spoke elbow close to thin hub flange.
3 with broken bearing cups. Will need to cut out old and, hopefully seat in replacements.

Gear reduction motor - spoke mount sprocket, on Schwinn Meredian Trike
Plenty of room and good mounting platform.
Cheap simple power (350w motor) geared for safe upright trike speed.

eZip Eco Ride 2 suffers broken spokes at nipples.
Holes not large enough to allow nipples to angle so will disassemble, re-drill and re-assemble 4 wheels.
Wrapping spokes as pictured below greatly simplifies entire process!

Decade old Aotema brush front hub motor, tentatively identified as the Wilderness Energy BD36s 36V 600w.
Rescued from someone who couldn't get it running. Traded a virus removal and stick of memory for it.
See - Rescue Motor Aotema (Wilderness Energy BD-36)
file.php

Relaced with 13ga SS spokes into new rim.
Repair On\Off switch in oem 35A controller.
Was on a mountain bike with front struts beaten wide-crushed for clearance. Requires disk capable & rim brake equipped fork for clearance ... or non suspension or Schwinn trike.
Couldn't get confirmed specs so tested at 8V and counted 80 rpm so ...
25.9V = 21.7 mph no load speed - 400w maybe 20mph
37V = 31 mph no load speed - 600w maybe 26mph
44.4V = 37.2 mph no load speed - 720w maybe 29mph
Better check controllers cap voltage.

Before Winter ... ?

Snow Beast Rejuvenation - 2008 Winter eBike
All new cables and housings. Suffered many years of salt and rust.
New SS cables, to be coated with paraffin wax, made mistake of following bad recommendation and applying grease last year.
Needs new (used) derailleur.

How about everyone else?
Projects to keep your eBike spirits motorvated?

After preparing my commuter for the winter last week when we had the first snow, I have found myself with nothing else to do on my bikes. Both dirt and commuter bikes are perfect.

I have 3 frames ready, and enough components to build 2, but no need for any. So I guess all this will sleep another year, or until I am hurt in a crash and stucked home with nothing else to do.

So, projects are skiing trips and ice fishing, since I stopped working for the winter and have plenty of time.

Just for interest, I purchased six of those Wilderness Energy BD36s over 10 years ago. Ended up running all of them on 48V Ping batteries using that original little controller with no problems. The controller does have a temp sensor and it will shut down if it overheats climbing a steep hill, but after cooling for a few minutes it's good to go again.

Three of them are still in use by others, still running on 48 volts. A friend has one as a spare and I don't know where the other two ended up. As far as I know none of the motors have ever been opened up.

the ice rink on the pathway today, had what looked like studded bicycle tire path on the ice, I could clearly see where the front and rear tire studs touched the ice. We are talking 15-35% (measured via cell phone app) grade, and it was ice. I had to walk on the outter most edge of the pathway, where the bushes and ant hills are to walk down.

What initially caught my eye was there was a corner on the long part of the 20% hill where it was obvious the guy was skidding on the ice trying to make the corner as the path was narrow and widened, then as I walked down the hill on the side I saw the path of the studs on normal rolling pattern.

I wonder if it was a home made stud job or off the rack studded tires.

Cheap Fat Bike Kits 20", 26" 29" kits from ~$200.

Tough to not dream up some project ...

Home depot has 1000w offroad minibike for $299.

36V 14Ah SLA, but that's an easy fix.
Gotta have some fun potential! ... front ski?

Mostly just the trike for my brother;it's basically a slightly smaller and hopefully much lighter version of the SB Cruiser:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80951
file.php

file.php

I'm also working on SB Cruiser's improvements (there's always something), and possibly some other things, like addons or structural improvements to the Mk IV trailer (surge brakes, etc).

Should attempt to incorporate my Wangdd22 voltage booster on my 36 volt trike to aim for around 50 volts.
otherDoc

...just finished my winter project, which was replacing a MXUS mini geared-hub motor/22A square wave controller with a DD leaf motor/sine wave controller in a 16" wheel for my enclosed trike, MPdPM.

It looks as if I may need to rebuild my 7S battery packs for MPdPM's rear motor however. The batteries are six years old and starting down the path of less capacity and saggy something or another.how to regen torque control.jpg

Last week, the ice fog hit in earnest and I awake every morning to a city wide skating rink. At the moment, my Kona hybrid with Q135 is my only ride, so I ordered a set of spiky tires from crc to get me through till I come up with a better solution.
Winter tires.jpg

I would have ordered the premium Schwalbe Marathon ones but they are out of stock in my size. I might try my hands at making these in a 2.5" knobby but it would be unfeasible in a 35c tire and 2.5" won't fit nor suit the bike. btw @DrkAngel, I really like your "hedgehog" model.

This is a temporary fix of course, and I'm planning to put together a winter beast:
Suspension frame.
Mxus 3000 motor to power through deeper snow.
66V battery, removable for indoor storage and charging.
12 fet 50A controller.
Mudflaps.

Most of the stuff I have lying around unused right now, save the frame which I'll be hunting for in the coming weeks.

Speaking of the devil ...
DrkAngel said:
Consolidated pics of my homemade studded tire history-progression ...

Homemade Studded Tire Round-up

Please remember though ... studded tires are not a cure for ice and snow.
They just help give you a fighting chance!

Culminating in The HEDGE HOG ®

In upstate - western NY out 50 miles south of Buffalo and only got a couple inches of snow.
Parts near Buffalo got 60"+!

Got my Snow Beast ready, just in case ...

Oh! ... Picked up a snowmobile helmet over the Summer at a yard sale.
Has 3 separate adjustable vents and a dual layered windshield with a heating element between the 2 layers.
Connection should be 12V, but will try to confirm before I try it.
Since I will power the helmet, will likely add a flashing tail light and possibly a headlight?

Blue color matches my Snow Beast.
See - Studded Tires?
See also - Winterized!

DrkAngel said:
Me ... I've been stocking up on projects to keep me busy this Winter ...

3-5 eZip rear wheel rebuilds:
2 with broken spokes, to be respoked with 13ga SS spokes and washers to pull spoke elbow close to thin hub flange.
3 with broken bearing cups. Will need to cut out old and, hopefully seat in replacements.
Got bored after work so dragged out the old eZip wheels.
Laced up 2 wheels with the 13g SS spokes. Drilled out the rim for good spoke angles and added SS washers to the spoke elbows. EZip spoke flanges are too thin, leaving elbow flex and eventual breaking. I place washers on the spoke at the flanged end. This pulls the elbow tight to the flange, eliminating flex.

Replaced 1 bearing cup. Left\right threaded hub. Not so easy!
End is pressed over the cup, I had to grind off 1/16"+ then drive out the old cup, trim and rework the threads then shim the cup.

Got me 3 spare eZip wheels! ... Got 1 more bearing cup of proper size ...

1st 13g re-lace, I crossed spokes so that they rub against each other.
2nd, I laced so that the spokes never touched each other, which proved much simpler.
13g spokes were tightened to somewhat snug and wheels true, with need proper tightening after initial "run in" then later again when fully seated and tensioned.

Have enough 13g SS spokes for 2 more wheels.

Think I have 1 more eZip wheel with 1 broken spoke?
2 eZip wheels have never needed re-spokeing and will probably run till needed ... have spares now!

I do have 12g SS spokes for 1 more HD build but will need to find worthy-capable L\R hub, the oem eZip bearing cups aren't tough enough.

Rims, after thousands of miles are not perfect, but laced properly. If and when new rims are needed, or I find a bargain, rim replacement is simple!
22g insulated copper on small spool is used to wrap every spoke intersection
All nipples removed
Hub spoke assembly slid out of old rim and slid into new
Spokes are proper size and threaded evenly, so I place finger nail at thread end and tighten nipples with VSR cordless drill till touches fingernail
This typically leaves wheel straight and with light tension on spokes
All spokes tightened evenly 1 turn each ... till fairly tight
Time to place on stand or bike for final trueing

Same method used to replace rim on hub motor.
file.php

Tip for - Double rim replacement
After spoke-hub assembly placed, getting nipples properly inserted can be tricky.
Use spare spoke
Back thread nipple partially onto spare spoke - couple turns
Insert into doublewall spoke hole
Finger thread nipple onto new spoke, this will unthread from "spare" spoke
next

Depending on time I may revive an old mid-drive trike project I started in SolidWorks a few years back. I do contract design in the aerospace world and it looks like I'll be idle in January. For me an endeavor like this is about 1000 hours so its not going to be done for a while anyway.

DrkAngel said:
Home depot has 1000w offroad minibike for $299.

36V 14Ah SLA, but that's an easy fix.
Gotta have some fun potential! ... front ski?

Clearance!!! - $199

1000w mb.jpg

Might have to get one ... just on principle?
3 x 14Ah SLA for sale! ... LC?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-fQBUcRvlsKyHA3L6V50cPVrBksts-7V
Motoremmo project. Winter bike using the 52v battery I use in my big dui scooter. It goes plenty fast enough and I want to make it super light, I have some Scooter winter tires and I want to make the pedals geared to pull away from lights to preserve the pack a little. It’s an old emmo urban frame with the motorino mpv hub and front end. No speedo because I know how fast it goes and a voltmeter to let me know if I'm going to be pedaling home.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=167_8TAcVTQ3GIZhBhtHrpWxx7I19LNqU
My car replacement until I can get my tesla.
18s powerpack, mp3 dd hub sans controller on a 26 inch wheel (hope to go to 20 inch and moto tires if punctures become a problem). an old 29er wheel and fork I had. PowerVelocity controller and minimal extras other than some mightily powerful lights. I had hayes nines laying around collecting dust so it seemed a good choice for a vector light frame as they were on sale. Should keep me out of trouble

Who's crushing snow?

1.5' pow here, doing tracks in fields, eating Wh/km like theres no tomorrow.

Street riding is squirrely! Perfect for fat biking. Thing is rear is fine, front bites it and slides, usual mtb setup, fronts actually Shwalbe studded 2.1'ish max psi.

need a fat bike!

I finally received the spiky tires (Schwalbe winter spike road tire 700c x 35) from CRC, no duties!! I went for the install and took it for a 15 km ride to work them in; they grip amazingly well at 45 psi and I can hear them claw the asphalt. I tried them in some icy sections and these will definitely keep me upright on black ice as long as I'm otherwise careful. These will pay for themselves in two weeks with gas savings for my icy (and now less dicey) work commute.

Made it home with all the spikes! I'm going to order a bag of extra spikes, as I undoubtedly will lose a few - these replacement spikes are a ripoff in North America. European sites sell for much less, such as www.bike24.com in Germany.

20171224_143032_s.jpg

Snow Beast nearing completion!
36V battery
geared lower for more torque @ "legal" 20mph
new motorized wheel
converted to XT60 plug
new chains
etc.

See - Snow Beast Refurb

Couple winter projects at the testing phase, should be some nice spring riding.

Kona Abra cadabra frame with 26” wheels, 15ah 25r battery in custom box, bbshd

8564A6A6-FA0F-4AA6-8B14-F0D091EEEFB6.jpeg

EAB8F257-35A5-4805-B411-CB8AC3F7CFCB.jpeg

Wildfire fat bike frame, 26” wheels, 20ah 25r in custom box and bbshd.

4C7D3521-E153-4576-ADD5-930EDA7F59AD.jpeg

3CFB724E-EEBA-4676-B114-1A3BCD2ABBCA.jpeg

Back