Rim stronger than the sunringle MTX39?

mtx39 is pretty strong, only thing stronger would be motorcycle rims. You can search e.s. to find out what moto rim equates to bicycle rim. My 1.60 wide rim is pretty wide, not sure of how narrow you can go with moto rim.

Weinmann DHL65 (Origin8 DAT-PRO 65) is bigger, heavier, and stronger. It's too wide for many MTB frames, though.

Stronger rims are many, but not so easy to find anymore for a 26’’.

Check for a Mavic Double Track. Heavier and bigger than MTX 39. One of my best for hard trail riding. Longer lasting since it is big and NOT hard treated, so you can re-shape and keep it going, until it’s really ugly with the scars of dozens of hits and crashes. :wink:

Man, I've been staring blankly at this computer screen for the last 3 minutes thinking "huh?"
What kind of epic story have you got that goes along with an MTX39 not being a stout enough wheel? I know what kind of epic stories my MTX has survived and been plenty stout enough for, and most of those tales would never be believed by those not present at the time. :mrgreen:

I have not used a Mavic double track, but my Monster bike uses Weinmann 65 (not the Origin8 version). One of them went under the wheel of the truck that ran me over, and is still in use.

Drunkskunk said:
Man, I've been staring blankly at this computer screen for the last 3 minutes thinking "huh?"
What kind of epic story have you got that goes along with an MTX39 not being a stout enough wheel? I know what kind of epic stories my MTX has survived...

I have not used a Mavic double track, but my Monster bike uses Weinmann 65 (not the Origin8 version). One of them went under the wheel of the truck that ran me over, and is still in use.

My mistake, the Double Track is by Sun Ringlé. The MTX 39 is the newer, lighter model that was supposed to replace it. I have both, on different bikes that have a lot of hard MTB mileage. I have replaced one MTX 39 that was cracked, and 2 Double Track that were too ugly.

On the street I like wider, lighter rims. I prefer replacing them, than beating them with a rubber hammer to make them last a few more hits.

Don't forget the mavic ex729.
I am a downhill and street fighter rider and I have really try to broke everything and the ex729 is a really tough rim.

spiros said:
Don't forget the mavic ex729.
the ex729 looks super strong with those double eylets.

Yep, if they ever make it 36h and the sizes we need. That is 1000$, lifetime guarantee.

MadRhino said:
Yep, if they ever make it 36h and the sizes we need. That is 1000$, lifetime guarantee.

$1000 will buy a totally non-shameful bike, new. $60 will buy the strongest 26" rim I'm aware of. So it seems that the plastic rim in question fails mightily on cost-to-benefit ratio.

True but, MTB riders are many to spend 10k$ a year, just like roadies are many to spend 2000$ on a wheel set.

Business is like that. You can make 1$ with 1 million customers, or you can make 1000$ with 1000 customers.

If FluxZoom is going to lace a heavy (10kg+) hub motor into it, all those rims will break sooner or later.
For Middrive the best choice probabaly, but for hub drive i would recommend to use moped rims, spokes and tires with plenty of rubber.

Back