Battery Choice

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
User avatar
CrawlingWhisper   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 26
Joined: Aug 22 2017 10:36am
Location: Germany (Cologne)

Battery Choice

Post by CrawlingWhisper » Dec 11 2017 6:09pm

Hello everyone,

I have some questions concernig this Batterys:
1.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
3.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N

Does somebody have experiance with this company ?
To me it seems like they only differ by cell type, what cell would you recomend the most ?
Does anybody have an idea why they are advertised for Bafang BBSHD Motors (exept the most expesive one) ?

Thanks
Felix

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6141
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: Battery Choice

Post by markz » Dec 11 2017 8:29pm

You are a gambler, its a crap shoot either way.
edit - I jumped the gun, all I saw was Aliexpress and thought it was some random battery co.

UPP is good, I read good stuff about them all over Endless Sphere.
Last edited by markz on Dec 18 2017 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Dec 11 2017 8:39pm

CrawlingWhisper wrote:
Dec 11 2017 6:09pm
Hello everyone,

I have some questions concernig this Batterys:
1.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
3.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N

Does somebody have experiance with this company ?
To me it seems like they only differ by cell type, what cell would you recomend the most ?
Does anybody have an idea why they are advertised for Bafang BBSHD Motors (exept the most expesive one) ?

Thanks
Felix
UPP is not a gamble. A good company. They stand behind their warranty and I have several batteries from them. Two are 3 years old.
There are USA sources for the same batteries. Choose the cell you want.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Dec 11 2017 8:41pm

LG MJ1 , 30Q, and 33G are good choices. I'm not a GA fan.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

flat tire   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 973
Joined: Feb 26 2014 12:20am

Re: Battery Choice

Post by flat tire » Dec 11 2017 9:54pm

I didn't even look at the price but try imrbatteries.com they're located in USA.

barbs00   100 W

100 W
Posts: 107
Joined: Jun 01 2017 8:18am
Location: Australia....mate! (Gold Coast)

Re: Battery Choice

Post by barbs00 » Dec 18 2017 6:03am

I have bought 2 Aliexpress batteries

I pulled them apart and had a good look at both:

1st one was from Efun - It was really bad. The case was cracked, BMS cut out power at 46v instead of around 42, not enough series connections to carry the current they said it would. Also, they are hopeless to deal with, it took forever to get a refund.

2nd one was from UnitPackPower(UPP) - Overall the battery was well made, BMS functions well but they still did not have enough series connections to carry the current. I spot welded on the appropriate connections carry the current and it was all good.

If you order from UPP, say the 52v GA pack (14s4P) I would specify you want 4series connection at least between each parrallel group. Also, I don't think they BMS they use has balance charging. I had to pay another $5 for them to add this( you really want this)

Good luck

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Dec 18 2017 2:17pm

barbs00 wrote:
Dec 18 2017 6:03am

2nd one was from UnitPackPower(UPP) - Overall the battery was well made, BMS functions well but they still did not have enough series connections to carry the current. I spot welded on the appropriate connections carry the current and it was all good.

If you order from UPP, say the 52v GA pack (14s4P) I would specify you want 4series connection at least between each parrallel group. Also, I don't think they BMS they use has balance charging. I had to pay another $5 for them to add this( you really want this)

Good luck
GA are over rated cells, but you made a great point with UPP. They will do exactly as you request. They have other cells, be sure to ask and set the standard. I typically add a spare matching BMS. They are inexpensive. BTW mine from them are the same as used by that company claiming to have been responsible for lowering prices. UPP has always been less.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

barbs00   100 W

100 W
Posts: 107
Joined: Jun 01 2017 8:18am
Location: Australia....mate! (Gold Coast)

Re: Battery Choice

Post by barbs00 » Dec 18 2017 3:46pm

Yeah I agree re GA cells. If you want 3500mah cells LG MJ1 have a higher cycle life and are usually cheaper

docw009   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 831
Joined: Aug 02 2015 7:43am
Location: Chicago area suburbs.

Re: Battery Choice

Post by docw009 » Dec 18 2017 10:09pm

I bought a 10S-3P bottle battery from UPP this month. It arrived 10 days after the order, well packed, and with the requisite lithium battery shipping label needed in the USA. The battery seems well made, although I didn't pay enough attention to the specifications, so it's a big longer (110 cm) and heavier (4.4 pounds) than I expected, as I was looking at pictures of their 10S-2P batteries. Still it's pretty slim and looks good. I hope it stays in the cradle, but I could add something in front.

Here's their smaller version. My wife can ride for about an hour on a 10S-2P, so 10S-3P will work fine..

Image

I won' t be able to give it a good run til after New Years.

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6141
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: Battery Choice

Post by markz » Dec 18 2017 11:13pm

Ah yessss, I spoke too soon, all I saw was aliexpress, I did not realize UPP had an aliexpress store. I take my previous comment back. I thought it was some random battery, yeah UPP is good. I edited my previous comment.
tomjasz wrote:
Dec 11 2017 8:39pm
CrawlingWhisper wrote:
Dec 11 2017 6:09pm
Hello everyone,

I have some questions concernig this Batterys:
1.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
3.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N

Does somebody have experiance with this company ?
To me it seems like they only differ by cell type, what cell would you recomend the most ?
Does anybody have an idea why they are advertised for Bafang BBSHD Motors (exept the most expesive one) ?

Thanks
Felix
UPP is not a gamble. A good company. They stand behind their warranty and I have several batteries from them. Two are 3 years old.
There are USA sources for the same batteries. Choose the cell you want.

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 34377
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Battery Choice

Post by dogman dan » Dec 19 2017 7:47am

Charge em outside regardless.

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Dec 19 2017 2:26pm

dogman dan wrote:
Dec 19 2017 7:47am
Charge em outside regardless.
Using a slightly modified, gasket removed to "breath", latched ammo can, or a decent double walled fire cabinet, will contain a fire. Still lots of smoke but a significant improvement for those of us that can't charge out side half the year.

I have a large 40mm can that will actually hold two 20Ah triangle batteries
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

User avatar
Kris Lan   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 05 2018 1:44am

Re: Battery Choice

Post by Kris Lan » Feb 05 2018 2:48am

docw009 wrote:
Dec 18 2017 10:09pm
I bought a 10S-3P bottle battery from UPP this month. It arrived 10 days after the order, well packed, and with the requisite lithium battery shipping label needed in the USA. The battery seems well made, although I didn't pay enough attention to the specifications, so it's a big longer (110 cm) and heavier (4.4 pounds) than I expected, as I was looking at pictures of their 10S-2P batteries. Still it's pretty slim and looks good. I hope it stays in the cradle, but I could add something in front.

Here's their smaller version. My wife can ride for about an hour on a 10S-2P, so 10S-3P will work fine..

Image

I won' t be able to give it a good run til after New Years.
Thanks for good comments.

mark5   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Dec 28 2011 9:26pm
Location: USA

Re: Battery Choice

Post by mark5 » Feb 05 2018 9:12pm

Kris Lan wrote:
Feb 05 2018 2:48am
docw009 wrote:
Dec 18 2017 10:09pm
I bought a 10S-3P bottle battery from UPP this month. It arrived 10 days after the order, well packed, and with the requisite lithium battery shipping label needed in the USA. The battery seems well made, although I didn't pay enough attention to the specifications, so it's a big longer (110 cm) and heavier (4.4 pounds) than I expected, as I was looking at pictures of their 10S-2P batteries. Still it's pretty slim and looks good. I hope it stays in the cradle, but I could add something in front.

Here's their smaller version. My wife can ride for about an hour on a 10S-2P, so 10S-3P will work fine..

Image

I won' t be able to give it a good run til after New Years.
Thanks for good comments.
Kris Lan works for UPP so she's responsible should any issues occur.

docw009   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 831
Joined: Aug 02 2015 7:43am
Location: Chicago area suburbs.

Re: Battery Choice

Post by docw009 » Feb 06 2018 3:11pm

mark5 wrote:
Feb 05 2018 9:12pm
Kris Lan works for UPP so she's responsible should any issues occur.
Hi Mark, I knew that about Kris, but other's may be glad to know a vendor representative reads the forum.

I did take the battery to a warm place in January and did about 100 miles of riding with it. No problems. I'll give them more business in the future.

User avatar
Kris Lan   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 05 2018 1:44am

Re: Battery Choice

Post by Kris Lan » Feb 08 2018 4:46am

docw009 wrote:
Feb 06 2018 3:11pm
mark5 wrote:
Feb 05 2018 9:12pm
Kris Lan works for UPP so she's responsible should any issues occur.
Hi Mark, I knew that about Kris, but other's may be glad to know a vendor representative reads the forum.

I did take the battery to a warm place in January and did about 100 miles of riding with it. No problems. I'll give them more business in the future.
As a responsible sales, I usually browised the famous forums to see what buyers reflect on our products then feedback when meeting.
Welcome to tell me if I could help you, my email is sales11@unitpackpower.com.

User avatar
Kris Lan   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 8
Joined: Feb 05 2018 1:44am

Re: Battery Choice

Post by Kris Lan » Feb 08 2018 4:53am

CrawlingWhisper wrote:
Dec 11 2017 6:09pm
Hello everyone,

I have some questions concernig this Batterys:
1.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
2.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N
3.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... ab7344fx8N

Does somebody have experiance with this company ?
To me it seems like they only differ by cell type, what cell would you recomend the most ?
Does anybody have an idea why they are advertised for Bafang BBSHD Motors (exept the most expesive one) ?

Thanks
Felix
Hi Felix, if don't want Sanyo GA cells with highest price and I recommend Panasonic PF. Cells from Panasonic has full capacity without capacity gap and they has best consistency that support longer cyclelife according to our daily cell test.
And battery you want could be made into 52V 11.6Ah by Panasonic PF.

Kris.
From Unit Pack Power.

docw009   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 831
Joined: Aug 02 2015 7:43am
Location: Chicago area suburbs.

Re: Battery Choice

Post by docw009 » Mar 12 2018 12:23pm

I ordered a second battery from UPP. It's a style I hadn't seen before. A smaller frame mount 36V 10.4AH 10S-4P with Samsung cells. Just received it today, properly labelled and well packed. Took about 12 days to arrive. It's for a bike I'm building for a family member. A smaller battery is easier to mount on the bike, and is also less money. This was under $225 when I bought it. Price has gone up.

Weighs 5.4 pounds with the cradle. I'll run it this later this week when it gets warmer.
Attachments
P1630603.jpg
P1630603.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
P1630604.jpg
P1630604.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Mar 13 2018 5:13am

How does this case mount?
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

docw009   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 831
Joined: Aug 02 2015 7:43am
Location: Chicago area suburbs.

Re: Battery Choice

Post by docw009 » Mar 13 2018 11:47am

tomjasz wrote:
Mar 13 2018 5:13am
How does this case mount?
This is one method. The clip was intended for a seat tube, and I would have to fabricate one for the frame. I might just go with a rear rack mount.
Attachments
P1630606.jpg
P1630606.jpg (101.93 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
P1630610.jpg
P1630610.jpg (150.56 KiB) Viewed 1062 times

User avatar
tomjasz   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3844
Joined: Mar 29 2014 1:45pm
Location: Out riding, MN USA
Contact:

Re: Battery Choice

Post by tomjasz » Mar 13 2018 12:10pm

Thanks, Now I realize I'd seen the pack but couldn't visualize very well until you photos! Much Appreciated. It's perfect for my 36V Bike.
Thanks Justin_le we're here thanks to you. All the best to the mods for their tireless work keeping it on an even keel.

Post Reply