Convert 29er wheel to 26"

olemetry

10 W
Hi gang. Just getting back into e-bike after a few years. I have a 29er MAC 7T that I would like to convert to a 26" wheel.

I haven't called around yet, but I am guessing this is something a local bike shop can do? I also imagine I may need a special (heavy duty?) wheel that I need to pre-order along with the heavy duty spokes? Any recommendations? Thanks!

With today's market you could possibly buy a complete motor wheel already laced up for less than the labor and parts of switching everything.

Voltron said:
With today's market you could possibly buy a complete motor wheel already laced up for less than the labor and parts of switching everything.

While that's true, the wheel probably wouldn't be nearly as good as a custom built one. Most complete hub motor wheels are built out of garbage, with logs for spokes.

Yes, a local bike shop can build that for you. Some shops and shop mechanic are better than others, so getting a recommendation from a savvy local cyclist would be a good idea.

Note that the change in wheel size will drop your bottom bracket about one inch, which usually isn't a problem, but is something you should be aware of. If you ever hit your pedals on things now, you'll do it a lot more often with a smaller wheel.

I went from 26" wheels to 24' and pedal strikes were a problem.
I had to change to a crank to one with the shortest crank arms I could find.
Also had to install "thin" pedals.

You meant to say you have a 6T ?

Yes a local bike shop . ( LBS ) can build up a wheel for you.

Where I live the cost ( just for labor not including parts ) is anywhere from $ 65 to $ 90
Typically there is only a 1 cross or 2 cross spoke pattern so no need to spend over $ 65 for the labor.
for a budget but strong rim you can get a Alex downhill rim. or for a lighter but strong rim you can buy a Mavic ( welded ) rim or even what the people who work for bike shops and in the industry use ... DT Swiss rims ( welded ) , but they can afford a DT Swiss because they get a discount since they are typically paid such a low wage.
and
for spokes get the Sapim , double butted is fine and strong enough when building a wheel by someone who know what they are doing. I think it is 13/14 guage spokes.
Part of that $ 65 should be for the LBS to tell you what size spokes to order.
If you buy from the LBS the cost will be from 2-3 times higher per spoke , so most people here order spokes online, although there is the shipping cost to consider.

olemetry said:
Hi gang. Just getting back into e-bike after a few years. I have a 29er MAC 7T that I would like to convert to a 26" wheel.

I haven't called around yet, but I am guessing this is something a local bike shop can do? I also imagine I may need a special (heavy duty?) wheel that I need to pre-order along with the heavy duty spokes? Any recommendations? Thanks!

B.T.W.
For any bottom bracket height issues , or pedal strikes , if you are using your 29er bike for off road you could/should just lace the motor into a 27.5 wheel.
There is now every kind and size of 27.5 inch tire available for any kind of riding you will be doing.
Relacing into a 26 inch wheel would be for street riding and even then for going up hills/mountains.

Keep in mind that the top speed will drop proportionally to the wheel size difference.

However, the torque will increase proportionally. ;)

amberwolf said:
Keep in mind that the top speed will drop proportionally to the wheel size difference.

However, the torque will increase proportionally. ;)

While things in 'the real world' may seem simpler, motor theory says output will be the same.
IE top speed should not suffer, the 'added torque' drops off at a higher RPM. This doesn't dismiss efficiency curves.

Then again, in the 'real world' people still believe airliners hit the twin towers.

mat h physics said:
While things in 'the real world' may seem simpler, motor theory says output will be the same.
IE top speed should not suffer, the 'added torque' drops off at a higher RPM. This doesn't dismiss efficiency curves.

Based on experience, output of the same hubmotor is not the same in two different wheel sizes, all else the same (controller, battery, riding conditions, etc. This is a large part of the reason I use smaller wheels on the back of CrazyBike2 and SB Cruiser--to effectively "gear down" the hubmotor without taking it outside the wheel.

Take an example of this
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=true&wheel_b=29i&axis=mph&hp=0&hp_b=0
which uses all the defaults except opening system b, and using a 29" wheel on that one (leaving a at 26), and using MPH vs kph, and turning off human input.

There's not *much* difference, but there is some.

If you make the wheel size difference greater (20" vs 26" in this example), you can more clearly see the difference.
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=true&wheel_b=26i&axis=mph&hp=0&hp_b=0&wheel=20i

amberwolf, you're certainly one of the best on the board. I think an agreement can be seen in the shift of eff at high RPM. Thank you for posting data to back your position.
Happy New Year

Back