E-bike restricted trail access and hate

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Re: E-bike restricted trail access and hate

Post by craneplaneguy » Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

12-C wrote:
Jan 12, 2018 12:17 am
The biggest myth is that motorized vehicles destroy trail conditions. It's not true. It's trail conditions that are not suitable for riding on that lead to destroyed trails, and that is as simple as wet conditions.

When things are wet pooled water will naturally cause soft spots and as much as coasting your pedle bike though will cause a rut to develop.

I ride bike only trails and have never seen a e bike around. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one.

Without fail after moist or rainy weather the people who like to ride in that (pedal MTB) tend to leave the trails destroyed.

Also I have contact with people who own land that is developed for motocross and enduro riding. They agree with these statements. They have lots of upkeep with the trails/tracks especially when people want to ride "early" in the spring or during wet conditions....

That was evident to me the other day when out riding a cross country ski/snow machine track the other day on the efattie. Pretty steep in some areas, steep enough that when I helped out by pedaling I would break traction, using throttle only I wouldn't. It was very hard to pedal smooth enough.

I have yet to use my "excuse" of being a senior citizen/old fart as I have never been challenged for riding where I do. But I have it ready if need be: "anyone over 65 is exempt, and good to go on a e bike, anywhere except wilderness areas." Not true but true enough sounding, and the frigging bottom line is I ain't hurting a damn thing. I got over my MTBR's e hate forum posting some time ago, after getting sucked into the dark hole of trying to make logical comments and bashed over the head with them. Like "coming downhill, I don't cause anymore damage then you do," even that obviously true comment was poo pooed by most. So I checked out on trying to argue with them, they are irrational and not worth my attention, and I thank God I live somewhere where I don't have any issues, most if not all ebike hate was just "an internet thing." It's about all multiple use here, hikers, bikes, horses, whatever, we have so many trails we are not crammed together causing friction, there's always some place else to ride. This post is the first time in months I've wasted any time at all even cogitating over the issue, and will be the last!

sendler2112
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sendler2112 » Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am

It brings a good point. Most commercial e-mountain bikes are going to 2.8-4.0 tires running low pressure. The extra traction and contact patch will tear up the trails less.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

I was born in Phoenix in 1959 and noticed a pattern where once people move here it took only a few years before they would start complaining about how fast the place was growing - completely ignoring for the moment that they are part of the same problem/issue.

It seems like some/many mountain bikers (like just about all groups) fall into the same trap. They don't want "extra" or the wrong kind of use on "their" trails. And I'm sure there was a time when hikers and folks on horseback became upset when mountain bikes started taking to the trails and even worse perhaps - blazing new trails through their beloved nature areas. I'd be surprised if many of them didn't feel that the bicycles didn't belong at all. Its just the nature of people in general. Likewise, it is in our nature to eventually adjust.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=90369

LeftieBiker
100 W
100 W

Post by LeftieBiker » Jan 13, 2018 2:18 am

In my case, I have an illness many say doesn't exist, cant get a placard for my handicap.
I was in that situation for many years, with CFS/Chronic Myalgia. Then I got diagnosed with an even more serious illness, the symptoms got blamed on that, and Bob's your Uncle, I had a placard! I'd kind of rather have no placard and no pain, though...

MadRhino
10 GW
10 GW

Post by MadRhino » Jan 13, 2018 8:05 am

wturber wrote:
Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm
...It seems like some/many mountain bikers (like just about all groups) fall into the same trap. They don't want "extra" or the wrong kind of use on "their" trails. And I'm sure there was a time when hikers and folks on horseback became upset when mountain bikes started taking to the trails and even worse perhaps - blazing new trails through their beloved nature areas. I'd be surprised if many of them didn't feel that the bicycles didn't belong at all. Its just the nature of people in general. Likewise, it is in our nature to eventually adjust.
There is a large network of horse trails on my property. I don’t use them much anymore but for some 30 years I did, with wife and kids and guests.

With the growth of nearby villages and tourism, more people started using them, since I never had built any fences. Then we started meeting strangers blaming us for horse riding our own trails. So I had to chase intruders off, put signs on trees and fence the access points.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Jan 14, 2018 8:42 am

Nothing worse to walk on, or ride if legal, than horse/mule trail.

They churn it up really bad, and if cut for pack mules, are too steep even for most hikers and backpackers to enjoy much. Most trail in the national forest is this type.

MadRhino
10 GW
10 GW

Post by MadRhino » Jan 14, 2018 12:15 pm

dogman dan wrote:
Jan 14, 2018 8:42 am
Nothing worse to walk on, or ride if legal, than horse/mule trail.

They churn it up really bad, and if cut for pack mules, are too steep even for most hikers and backpackers to enjoy much. Most trail in the national forest is this type.
Well, my horse trails are flat, hard packed sandy terrain that you can trot or galop comfortably. There are lots of birds, indigenous fruit trees and blackberries. No wonder why they became popular for the villagers and tourists to hike and bike, especially since there were no warning signs nor gates. The forest trails are separated from the barn and installations by a few acres of field, so I didn’t mind much, not until the number and attitude of strangers forced me to forbid them. Now most of the horses are retired, and the forest is visited only by neighbours and some local hunters.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Jan 14, 2018 1:55 pm

MadRhino wrote:
Jan 13, 2018 8:05 am

With the growth of nearby villages and tourism, more people started using them, since I never had built any fences. Then we started meeting strangers blaming us for horse riding our own trails. So I had to chase intruders off, put signs on trees and fence the access points.
Amazing ... but not really. It's actually almost predictable.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=90369

rider95
1 kW
1 kW

Mt Bike project list e frendly trails

Post by rider95 » Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm

I use Mt Bike project a lot when I am looking for places to ride, I will be in Charlotte NC in a few weeks I am looking at riding Lake Norman and MT bike project now has this trail system as EMTB friendly ! That's cool that MT Bike project now starting to list trails as E Bike friendly so E bikes are be coming more accepted .

flat tire
10 kW
10 kW

Post by flat tire » Jan 14, 2018 7:54 pm

I ride at the MTB trails quite often. The only time I have an issue is if I scare pedestrians, and of course they're never really in danger. It's crazy how people pay absolutely no attention and then freak out at the last minute when you're slowly approaching at 15 mph, on the brakes, 30 feet away. Riders on the other hand I have never had an issue with and some of them really like the bike. Just make sure you call out on blind stuff at high speed to avoid a head on.
Orange DH w/ Cyclone mid on 6kw
Gary Fisher w/ Leaf hub on 6kw
RC Lipo and domino throttles only!