BBSHD bottom bracket length

Gearfreak

1 µW
Hi I am new to this and am just about to buy a bbshd

I think I know the answer to this question and I think it's a NO !

I am planning on putting it in a 68bb at first but would like to upgrade to a fat bike later

So my question is can a STD 68 BB bbshd be adapted to accommodate a fat bike BB 110-120 ??

Or the other way round ? if I buy a 110-120 can that be adapted to fit a 68 BB ?

Secondly I have a Marin rift zone full suss ! Has anyone used those as ebike it's about 10 years old !

There is no space to mount a bottle cage battery so any ideas apart from carrying the battery in a rucksack !

Many thanks

Brian

bottom bracket length BBSHD
Edit Delete post Report this post Quote
Post Jan 17, 2018 6:08 am

Hi I am new to this and am just about to buy a bbshd

I think I know the answer to this question and I think it's a NO !

I am planning on putting it in a 68bb at first but would like to upgrade to a fat bike later

So my question is can a STD 68 BB bbshd be adapted to accommodate a fat bike BB 110-120 ??

Or the other way round ? if I buy a 110-120 can that be adapted to fit a 68 BB ?

Secondly I have a Marin rift zone full suss ! Has anyone used those as ebike it's about 10 years old !

There is no space to mount a bottle cage battery so any ideas apart from carrying the battery in a rucksack !

Many thanks

Brian

My understanding is a 68-73mm one will only fit up to 73mm, I fit one on a bike with 73mm BB without the outer lock ring, works fine but you're going to need a wider kit for anything bigger. Matt EMPowered Cycles is a good guy to contact if you have questions about a particular frame, he's very helpful.

This is a good primer on the BB sizing if you have not read it already:

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/101474694-bottom-bracket-standards-and-bafang-mid-drive-motors

A fat bike BBSHD install Matt writes about here:

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/109966534-motobecane-boris-the-evil-brut-sprung-bafang-bbshd-build

Back