Challenge with brakes

mighty82

100 mW
My mother has a ladies bicycle with a low frame that she loves very much, so last year I converted it to a electric bicycle with a bafang bbs02 mid drive. The big problem is that this bike has a internal geared hub in the back with internal "coasting brake" as in it brakes when you pedal backwards. This will not work with the bafang drive.

Since brakes only on the front wheel is very unsafe, i've been thinking a lot on how I'm going to get brakes on this rear wheel. There is no mounts for any sort of brakes there. I have been considering replacing the rear igh with one which supports roller brakes. Any ideas? :idea:

There are a few threads discussing rear brake options you could use.

If you're handy, you could cut the U-brace with rim brake bosses off a junk suspension fork, and clamp/bolt (or weld) it to the rear stays, kinda like how I added them to this fork:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51942&hilit=trike+brake+add&start=25#p1291002
(I added two sets, becuase one isn't enough to stop my trike when heavily loaded).

This thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=67770&hilit=trike+brake+add
has some discussion in it about a similar situation to yours, and what he did to fix that.

Brakes on only front is how the last half dozen bikes I made were done, but on very lose sandy downhill trails a rear brake occasionally is useful.

If she has a good performing front brake, adding any quality/amount of rear brake won't change her ultimate stopping times any, as a ultimate braking effort leaves no mass on the rear.

She is riding on mostly gravel roads and sometimes even on snow. Anyway, I see the rear brake just as much as a backup if the front brake should fail for any reason. There are lots of steep hills around here :shock:

mighty82 said:
...I have been considering replacing the rear igh with one which supports roller brakes. Any ideas? :idea:

That is the obvious solution. Any other would be much more complicated, and likely less reliable. Find a Nexxus 8 spd hub with Shimano roller brake, your mother will love it.

Sorry for the late reply. The frame is aluminium.

Here is some photos of the dirty bike :lol:

As you can see, the frame has already been broken and welded. I want to mount the battery to the frame somewhere in the front, but I am afraid I will make the frame more brittle by drilling into it.

I am a competent diy mechanic when it comes to cars, but i'm a novice when it comes to working on bicycles. I have no experience with roller brakes.

I was thinking of maybe using a pre built nuvinci n360 wheel, like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NuVinci-N360-29-Rear-Bicycle-Wheel-Alex-DM18-Roller-Brake/191995853562?hash=item2cb3d83afa:g:w90AAOSw9KhaAa1T

hb7ESNWHnXdW2h6fBUCk94bDB1EdpokOqs2j8uZO0frW5GXEcYIITOSVtgF9VgwJz9g7u-uACbbBQ8XXNFCmGm9Q1NUHO_fvxHwWWcE6kpLBZZb8fzyk6JZrNlHwFWb5uEzWX8zs66ZBjq2Ipzh5A90MQtTiDdCfQVTvvvh6ZwCSAu_O5OzRV7lV5sjWfx8h90k0y3oZBE2YLPwKxkyZvvnRcIwSCKJjxtXRfwVIPRAnE2wLEQXnToF6H2RgDKn-UA2rZefVqL1OF64l13q0FgxbiM4ZYaId9-9WEHg0YkwGyR691xDjEUxZqM4Nb5t4PefOuom4mzex0NADKar0coITFOZVmgpG1CRDsjvGgVns-tNg82qxenRnlJqhGn_YLrjh-nWtUHofPYZachfljQOFp-D7AzLETWvUrQmpVq75naj1cRDLp4FcwZxLWwdbPpB01QsNC63LzqlRNZD6-8haP9Nker-x3zwKAdcyiPE_aSa4FHddccQcY6KoHykgLZKSMMA8CAOs4Pcrj7OwrN2uK5XbR4gIBY_6-XAsf45g6jmDCajLlo_wFTXtommYzvhu6ik2Hr8T4xBtUeQ8ci93IhoOxQiEjdibvqWM=w1459-h1094-no

VXg1A4xZdA43hldUAlsOprut51iWoNXF-GcioD0dBOew1k1LhO9l2us8H7pz29UR6y2Rvx4uCkI6xODd5YuZQNniEzcs5IdRZcAHXi17iSLUkwHZYQgYKf_O9yfRig_cSc2n7ncyFYm-wxGhai-vOBTCIKEhLzGHObZWHOsSyZ1aQNJJtrKAHwxf27JXRoho5hU-V5Dhuo1GrSxJyxfMF-vQcpFAh2wqpsU7gPwTOdKNLQxgrc4NOOuLyqufW4fnOIO2r8M_YqgbPjljCr8_ejJR7csbE9JTJHcPEIMVKeQArgfXO4Q2MNuxmn4quufHdZ50cNxyYTDSqnl-jaBheKAkv5fkaTsnGepGzDh1UL1LBGh-pHSVxyFjd18l-bjDd2sjjefZVOqMN7Z7KwiFMKxyhc-CzjMzPfceM1yiC2vZYwnUn6pC-ZkiKs_myNcg8Ol6R5co685D0JO1s2bd2ENtcHYX9jNQmrmwrUa-0lBw_fbHqUWTY5kot9qr5ri0nyO4ic0IEDQ2jPRSTu3jBW-HkV3vJUn9K5RCgMQAtP6wpUYj9Cetv7v2ED5KhD1O0fj60pxGtplJJxsSMAA5Gpf8zD8Osi-XXVIClIoR=w1459-h1094-no

QQ86gmRDaRgEWZAIQSHoqGvUOe0UB1MqzdwHHmQEQeb3MC3118lCvyZQKvjxOuf1ifoP1_ymOrfvH_-8Fmb3n9-54c0fkO-hGJ6NjES3XLDA_qAYRPqGPwvih63EFhukI3wpEQgrOkqaF8FzeUHPmFPuCLF91Mid1Zdz9GCVxyxQQTrjGovUfvZAUK6i76K717ghg6RYP_Mx-yvHxXGn4bFvcPdND-Bj7_wxryPXgJ_7wojElx_C4LXUUPZnbobJs4P06213SpcduRi6BpxgeUP2DnoyY9Kdw4zghoDoMMBi5QUmqLGMAPW8rMxDlqsMU3rUo9J-qaFTU6xBoWLXUZsdSfERwf_XOSjsD1zVJehgKbboFYppr-y3RHFW_IAXQlkxtvzzXGY3sbiqxLt2VMDsCMA17_r5yNZtiYK92Bct1rna-rb4ky1Q4DCpymJMVCdMcH2P9wXapcVgsQhPte2krzORM1BsE8yBIILG765pD4VMnol4rthb1U6tSQjkaTLXdgD5d2Db9GlIEu5pB6Rfn3ZP9H1q-x5p7RQv37JMew5UrJrYBte3sR_9H8Jibz-DFd8Xj-c4kegbLLXGV3IZchNh8_LcneOmYMTs=w1459-h1094-no

The Nuvinci with roller brake is a good solution.

Don’t go drilling battery mounts. Clamp them, with rubber sheet between the clamps and tubing.

Will any shimano roller brake fit the nuvinci? Do I need any special tools to make them fit together? Also, I will have to do some trickery with the cable routing etc. I suppose?

mighty82 said:
Here is some photos of the dirty bike :lol:

None of the images appear for me (possibly others, too). If you attach them directly to the post then anyone that can see ES can see the images.

Ah--those are in about the right place for brake boss mounts, but I've never seen any like that before (and they point in the opposite direction that most rear rim brake bosses would be mounted). It would be interesting to see a pic from the bottom of those.

FWIW, it doesn't matter how long I leave the page open (left it for hours after my post above, while I was outside working on stuff); it never displays anything but a box with a circle and a - sign in it, in any of my browsers. When I quote the post it shows the images are hosted at googleusercontent, which I can generally see images from about 1% of the time or less. Since I can see them *sometimes* but not others, it points to an issue somewhere between me and the image, and not at my browsers (and when I cant' see them, I can't see them in any browser--when I *can* see them, I can see them in all browsers).

My guess is that those mounts are for some kind of lock, not a brake.

I once had a similar puzzle in trying to fit a rear brake on a de-electrified junky e-bike that had previously used a band brake. I ended up mounting a long reach caliper brake under the kickstand plate. In my case, losing the kickstand was acceptable, but I could have put a rear axle kickstand on it if I had wanted to.

rps20180122_004755.jpg

IMO, the bike needs a front hub, unless you can find that new rear wheel with a brake that activates by cable from the handlebars.

Chalo said:
My guess is that those mounts are for some kind of lock, not a brake.

I once had a similar puzzle in trying to fit a rear brake on a de-electrified junky e-bike that had previously used a band brake. I ended up mounting a long reach caliper brake under the kickstand plate. In my case, losing the kickstand was acceptable, but I could have put a rear axle kickstand on it if I had wanted to.

rps20180122_004755.jpg

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. A simple rim brake mounted right there will work. Just make sure it has enough reach.

I'll never be a fan of roller brakes, but it would work well and be relatively easy to put on that bike with a hub change.

Adding the rim brakes could work, but the rim would need to be suitable for rim brakes. if it isn't, the brakes would crush or crack the rim.

A harder but better alternative might be to replace the hub with one that allows disk brakes, then weld on the boss to the frame. It would be much easier to operate, and more effective than a roller brake.

Another option would be the sram IGH hubs that have a drum brake. it's a hard handle pull compared to all other brakes, but it's a brake that will outlast your grand kids. as easy to install as the roller brake, and in every way far superior, except the hand strength needed to use them

Drunkskunk said:
Another option would be the sram IGH hubs that have a drum brake. it's a hard handle pull compared to all other brakes, but it's a brake that will outlast your grand kids. as easy to install as the roller brake, and in every way far superior, except the hand strength needed to use them

Sturmey Archer makes a range of 90mm drum brake hubs that are more powerful than the 70mm drums from Sturmey and SRAM. Likewise, there is a range of Shimano roller brakes that vary hugely in lever response and maximum power. BR-IM70, -IM80, and -IM81 are the heavy hitters.

Back