ebike weight

minde28383

10 kW
Ebike weight - 63kg
Those who ride heavy bikes what's your thoughts? were it's possible to shed some weight firstly?
Ebike purpose - cruise around town and forest trails time after time. 80% town, 20% forest trails.
Do you also end up in 60kg building around qs 205 hub?

18kg battery (20S 72v, capable 180A constant).
16kg qs 205 hub in 17'' rim with moto tyre
14kg custom steel frame similar to Leili and it's copies
4kg DNM UDS8 fork
3kg front wheel
2kg Sabvoton 72150
2kg handlebars with levers and stuff
2kg pedals, sprocket, chain, tensioner
1kg lights, DC converter, horn, etc
1kg rear shock

DH racing frame
Pro racing components
QS 205
18 4110 controller
1 kwh RC lipo
31.3 kg

MadRhino said:
DH racing frame
Pro racing components
QS 205
18 4110 controller
1 kwh RC lipo
31.3 kg

:eek:
I was expecting mostly you have lighter ebikes with qs 205, but 31.3kg... Wow

Using downhill mtb parts is very wise because they are already engineered for high strength and toughness with minimum weight and everything's engineered to fly down a mountain at highway speed and land 10 ft drops so your ebike use will probably be OK if you can get a custom swingarm to mount that QS motor. Your frame is really, really heavy and the weights you list for other components suggest they are either not bicycle grade or you're overestimating the weight..

flat tire said:
Using downhill mtb parts is very wise because they are already engineered for high strength and toughness with minimum weight and everything's engineered to fly down a mountain at highway speed and land 10 ft drops so your ebike use will probably be OK if you can get a custom swingarm to mount that QS motor. Your frame is really, really heavy and the weights you list for other components suggest they are either not bicycle grade or you're overestimating the weight..

Mostly correct: i wrote 2kg instead 22kg controller, 4kg instead 3,8kg fork. I add or remove few hundret grams here and there but mostly it is correct. I'he put parts on scale before typing them here.

More more
As you may read I'm interested about ebike weights built around heavy and amp hungry qs 205.
Higher kv you get hevier batt you need to couple with it.
Chime in how many of you rely on Lipos to keep weight lower and be able to supply these high C which qs205 and rest heavy dd so desperatly needs. I know from RC model planes experience that Lipos are expensive looking in long terms compared to these popular 18650. But in RC Lipos is a must but in bikeing its more luxury I would say.

minde28383 said:
I'he put parts on scale before typing them here.

Weight the bike, not the math. True weight can’t be found adding the weight of components. It just never happen to be exact. The error adds with each measure, and we always forget something.

FWIW, my off road bike with a heavy hub motor weighs in around 80 pounds, with slightly smaller battery. ( 36 kilo) 35 pound bike before the 25 pound motor. Nothing fancy, just a mid priced off road bike from 2005.

8 pound battery. Several pounds just for the thick tubes and slime I need to ride through thorns.

30 pounds for the bare frame is your problem. Must be nice, but its not built to be light clearly.

MadRhino said:
DH racing frame
Pro racing components
QS 205
18 4110 controller
1 kwh RC lipo
31.3 kg

Do you have any videos about this beast? Which frame you have and do you use moto or bicycle wheel?

No vid sorry, pic in my sig yet 2015, not built as it is now.
Frame Trek Session 10, 24’’ bicycle wheels w 3’’ tires.

My dirt bike in my sig is a Santacruz V10 MK1 w 26’’ bicycle wheels. Does weight about 36 kg (slight mods since last time it was weighted)

MadRhino said:
No vid sorry, pic in my sig yet 2015, not built as it is now.
Frame Trek Session 10, 24’’ bicycle wheels w 3’’ tires.

My dirt bike in my sig is a Santacruz V10 MK1 w 26’’ bicycle wheels. Does weight about 36 kg (slight mods since last time it was weighted)

So 205 can be made to bicycle rim, how much power you are pulling out?

redline2097 said:
So 205 can be made to bicycle rim, how much power you are pulling out?
About 20 Kw bursts in acceleration.
74 Mph top speed

If you order direct, you can have the motor double drilled for bicycle and motorcycle spokes. Even when it is not, flange washers can be made to adapt.

Some folks like me tend to overbuild for what they really need only to find out after riding they rarely need the power capacity they've assembled.

My HPV FS26 trike was delivered at 44 lbs.
• 13 lb LiFePO4 battery
• 4 lb for CA3, Phaserunner, Battery mount, throttle, Aux Pot, Lights & 8V regulator
• 9 Lb for MAC 10T Cassette motor

70 Lbs total. Gives me about 80 mile range at 12 MPH average speed with a total ascent of about 2200 feet, and I tend to pedal about half the power consumed. 29 MPH top speed, but I rarely exceed 20 MPH except on descents.

I could shave about 5 lbs with an 18650 battery, and maybe another 3 lbs with a Bafang mini hub although the hub would be a bit stressed on some of the ascents I ride.

Back