Help designing 48v pack

sutty86

10 mW
Right first post so please be nice.
I've been a frequent reader for last 4 months.
Been pulling and testing battery's with an opus, which has took literally around 1month, I kid you not!

Motor hub is a front hub I got at a good price basic Chinese model 1000w 48v.(26in)
I paid £100 for it so bargain

https://www.voilamart.com/voilamart-48v-1000w-26-front-wheel-electric-bicycle-motor-conversion-kit-e-bike-cycling-hub

I have two donor bikes
One is a hardtop mountain bike with hydraulic disc brakes(heard this can be a nightmare to fit) 28gears

The other is a old fixed bike around 7 gears. V brakes at best I think.

Batterys I've pulled I have a 12s9p average recycled battery is 2200mah...

Bike will be used to commute to and from work and to get fit.

Commute is around 25miles around trip.

Now I just need a hand picking a Bms and setting the battery up, at the moment I have no where to store the battery on the bike.
I was thinking on carrying it in a backpack as I do not want to bring the bike into my house after work it will be in the garage with no power supply so need something accessible.

Ideas guys?

Thank you

12S might be too low of a voltage for a 48V system, normally they're used with 13S packs. If the controller has a low enough LVC (low voltage cutoff) you might be OK, but if it's cutting out too soon then you'll be denied some of the packs potential capacity.

If the controller has a cutoff at 42V, which seems fairly common on 48V systems, you'll only be able to bring your 12S pack down to 3.5V per cell, which is a bit under half way discharged for most 18650 cells. On a 13S pack this works out to 3.23V per cell, which is much closer to empty.

Pannier bags will rip over time.
I build wooden panniers that fit the battery snug.
Build an open top wooden box that fits the battery nicely.
Duct tape the battery to make a handle.

Use XT90AS connectors from Hobby King as they are large and easy to connect and disconnect.

People will say oh wood so heavy, but everythings heavy, the battery is heavy, the direct drive motor is heavy, whats an extra few pounds. Secure the wooden pannier with quality hose clamps to the rack. Build your own heavy duty rack! The stock ones will break! I just used some aluminum square tubing with bolts. Go behind stores and search dumpsters for your materials for the rack.
If you can split the pack in half and put them on either side. This will reduce the weight and you could probably go back to using a heavy duty fabric pannier bag, or get the ladies at the fabric store to sew one up for you.

Triangle bag is another option from EM3EV

Top of the rear rack is another option for battery placement. But you need battery portability, thats why I mentioned the wood. perfect side, slide it in, have a hinged top and some large tool box latches and you are set.

I've thought about splitting the battery down, any disadvantages to this.
24v each, can the hobby chargers charge then, instead of forking out for an expensive 48v charger
I already have a few bmax knocking around

Back