Tandem Duel Electric Wheels

rockypro1

10 W
Hi All, new here,

I am just at the start of converting my 1930's BSA tandem road bike that I restored to hybrid Tandem. Now I am going to put a duel electric wheels on it. I will be using two Voilamart 48volt 250watt to 1000watt wheels first 1 still in the post, They are only cheap ones so hope they work I heard the controllers are not great. And Two 48volt batteries eek!. The thing I would like to ask is the rear electric wheel comes with an lcd screen dose this do the same or similar thing as a cycle analyst? Can I use both or do I just need the LCD, Or do I even need a cycle analyst. I have just ordered the Elec rear wheel, then I'll order the front and then 1 battery at a time, as money is tight, The warranty will be out by the time I get to run it on the first ordered items ah well that's life. I am going to buy a front Elec Voilamart 48volt wheel also as the wiring and amps etc will be the same. I am no expert that's why I'm trying to keep it simple and cost down as possible, Myself and my son are going half's on the parts. Cheers

Here's my Tandem: https://youtu.be/q-z4xvZcLd0
rockypro1 IRL

Thanks, It goes like a new bike, built to last. Hey wish I had some of Sheldon Brown's bikes.

The dropouts on the front don't look that big. Be sure they can take the 10mmx14mm motor axle. You will also need two torque arms to make the front motor safer.

I know two motors will look cool, but why do you want two motors when one 48v motor will do? Have you looked into a mid drive motor for the front bottom bracket. I don't know if it would fit, but it might be something to consider.

:D

And, if you are only using one hub motor at a time, the other one will cause drag, unless you are using geared hub motors.

You might find a bike that vintage has a frame that won't fit any modern wheels.

I can't say strongly enough, I would NEVER modify that vintage bike, to fit modern wheels. I wouldn't bend the frame or fork, or grind on dropouts.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's just too fine a bike to f up with motors, unless they fit ok from the start.

Rear needs to be 135 mm wide, the front fork 100 mm, or new stuff won't fit.

e-beach said:
The dropouts on the front don't look that big. Be sure they can take the 10mmx14mm motor axle. You will also need two torque arms to make the front motor safer.

I know two motors will look cool, but why do you want two motors when one 48v motor will do? Have you looked into a mid drive motor for the front bottom bracket. I don't know if it would fit, but it might be something to consider.

Yes been looking into torque arms. Yeah I like the duel wheel setup. might add a mid drive later as well :) .

dogman dan said:
You might find a bike that vintage has a frame that won't fit any modern wheels.

I can't say strongly enough, I would NEVER modify that vintage bike, to fit modern wheels. I wouldn't bend the frame or fork, or grind on dropouts.

Sorry to disappoint, but that's just too fine a bike to f up with motors, unless they fit ok from the start.

Rear needs to be 135 mm wide, the front fork 100 mm, or new stuff won't fit.

The rear is 135mm and front is 100mm so should be ok.

Are the dropouts over 10mm wide and over 14mm deep. Any slack or play in the dropouts will cause problems down the line.

Really nice bike.

250w isn't going to be enough to help move 2 people very well. for one person, it would still be fairly under powered but usable. With 2 motors, it should work, but 2 people and just one 250w motor may over stress the motor and damage the gears. You may want to avoid standing starts with 2 people on the single motor, and instead get up some speed before using the single motor. it should be fine with one person from a standing start.

The LCD should be fine on a budget. A Cycle Analyst is much better, but not something you must have.

My vintage Columbia is a fun old bike. I left it rusty as a "Rat Rod" but restored it mechanically. one of the things i did was to replace the dropouts with some thick plate ones that could better handle the torque of a motor.

Drunkskunk said:
Really nice bike.

250w isn't going to be enough to help move 2 people very well. for one person, it would still be fairly under powered but usable. With 2 motors, it should work, but 2 people and just one 250w motor may over stress the motor and damage the gears. You may want to avoid standing starts with 2 people on the single motor, and instead get up some speed before using the single motor. it should be fine with one person from a standing start.

The LCD should be fine on a budget. A Cycle Analyst is much better, but not something you must have.

My vintage Columbia is a fun old bike. I left it rusty as a "Rat Rod" but restored it mechanically. one of the things i did was to replace the dropouts with some thick plate ones that could better handle the torque of a motor.

Hi, The wheel kits are 250 to 1000Watt. It says it is switchable between the two on the controller for on or off road use. Yeah been looking at some youtube videos. Like you say I can run it without the cycle analyst which I'll do for now. I've been checking the dropouts and they look very strong as this is a tandem. but I won't run it till its very safe to run the elec wheels. cheers

Awesome, go for it. I just did not want you to start bending up a valuable vintage frame to cram a motor wheel in there.

Lots of the great old steel frames are narrower, from when only 5 rear gears were common, or less.

Hi,

I received the rear electric 48volt wheel a couple of days ago. Well I have to say it looks good. Also very well packaged.
Anyway I put the wheel on the tandem. Have to say its a no go. It weights a TON and thats with one e wheel, I would not trust it with these brakes.
Thanks for your input and help guys, but I had to give it a try.
So I'll put it on the back burner for now and like said I'll go for the mid drive. A lot safer and lighter.
But all's not lost. I have a Specialized Mountain bike that I got a while ago. When I bought It was crashed, the rear wheel was bent in half and the rear derailler was caught up in the wheel and in bits. The frame was a little bent so I straightened it and it's alright now. I have to get a drop down for it as it was snapped in half. I
Mountain bike that I'll convert to a duel electric wheel Mountain bike.

I'm going to start a new thread for the e-bike build.

If you think the motor is heavy, wait until you add batteries!

The truth be told, e-bikes are heavy.

Back