Anybody use FIX-A-Flat?

Patriot

10 kW
Anybody use FIX-A-Flat?

I can't help but wonder if I fill the tube with this stuff, it may actually help in preventing flats. It's basically like goo, like slime, except it really could just about completely fill a tire, since you can get a big can of the stuff for like $4 at Walmart.

i suppose it may help if you get a flat too, without having to stop for along time to try and change/fix a punctured tube.

this would be more expensive but I heard those continental gator skin tires were pretty good. They have these tires made of kevlar that are supposed to be really good at preventing flats. One brand of tire is made of kevlar but people were complaining that they weren't well made, instead of getting flats, the tires themselves would come apart at the seams so I guess the continental gator skins is a kind of middle of the road tire that is well made and prevents flats. I can't remember what the other brand is, though.

Please do not use Fix-A-Flat. I used to work as a tech 1 mechanic at sears and I get those jobs all the time. For 1, it does not work. Yeah, you heard right. It does not work. It's also very messy. When we get tire repairs, we ask the customer if they had fix a flat in the tire. If yes, we relieve the pressure by removing the valve core out of the valve stem or just removing the valve stem altogether.

Fix-A-Flat is highly flammable. While an explosion or fire has never happened to me, supposedly, when we break the bead with "the shovel", the shovel can cause a spark on the rim while breaking the bead. This may not apply to a bicycle tire but it is a frocking mess. Wattery white goo that is more trouble than it's worth. It also makes tires IMPOSSIBLE to balance having all that liquid inside the tire. I can imagine how uncomfortable it will feel on an ebike going 20 mph plus.

Fix a flat can fill your tire for sure, but as a sealer it does not work very well. I doubt the flamability is as much an issue with a bike, but for sure, it does not mix with slime if you already have that in the tire. Both can be a nasty goey mess. One poster from AU got a big hole, and the green goo striped his back. So both have thier drawbacks. I run the slime, using about twice as much as they call for, and can allmost allways get back to an air source with the slime helping. For thorns like we have here everywhere, the slime works good, but get a glass cut or nail that tears a tube and you are screwed, with either product, you won't be doing a patch out on the road, unless you have a hose handy. Co2 inflators would be easier to carry for air, or even a tiny pump.

The reality is, my flippin' bike weighs 90lbs. I don't think I'll be flipping it over to change a tube anytime soon. It doesn't like getting flipped upside down, with a heavy battery and all. Also, pulling the torque arm, etc. What a pain.

I'm trying to figure out what I'll need to do if I get a flat. I can't help think I'll really be screwed if I no way to easily lift the bike to change a tire.

I may end up just having to make sure I have a cell phone, so I can call my wife, bring the Suburban, and pick me up. :oops:

I was out with some friends in a large cargo van and we had a flat. 2 cans of Fix a flat later we were back on the road with no problems. I couldn't believe it actually worked. I'm not sure if I'd use it on a bike but I do use slime tubes and they have already saved me many times.
After reading set's post, I now feel bad for those mechanics who have to clean up the fix a flat tires down the road...

Fix a flat can work. Back before slime was around I used it in car and truck tires, and still carry a can in vehicles that may go to the boonies. I think of it as a source of air rather than a fix for a big hole in a tire. Putting the bike on a bus, or calling the wife or friend is what I'll be doing if I tear a tube or slice one with glass. But I count on the slime for the daily thorns in the tires. I often pull a mesquite thorn out of a tire that is as big as a finish nail, and keep riding. The slime works much better on thicker rubber, like car tires, so it helps to find the thick thorn resistant tubes and then slime em, using about twice the normal ammount. Weight is a non issue on the ebike, so fill em up. the tubes with slime in them, aimed at the pedaling crowd, don't have enough in them. 2750 commuting miles now, with only one flat, in a tube with no slime in it. I called the wife to come get me :oops: :lol:

I had a slow-leak on my minivan's tire... I Slimed it, but the flex of the tire each revolution allowed the slime to simply seep through and leak air.

The slime also prevented plugs from properly sealing the puncture, and the plugs worked free. Cleaning the slime out of the puncture using brake-cleaner fluid allowed the plugs to seal.

134776_lg.jpg

Back