Cycle Analyst wiring, ext. shunt, resistive throttle

cboy

100 W
I have searched out a couple threads here which apply to my situation but just want to make sure I have this wiring correct (the CA3 manual is a little over my head in this particular section). I am installing a CA3 on a 72V bike with a Kelly contactor & Kelly KLS7230S controller, Holdwell E Stop power shut off switch, and a resistive twist throttle with key switch. I have installed and wired an external shunt as shown in section 4.2.1.3 of CA3 User Manual. My question regards wiring the throttle itself for which I am attempting to follow section 4.2.3.2 of the manual. As I understand it I would wire things as follows:

1) Battery Pack power (72V) would be connected to the Yellow "power in" wire of the throttle's key switch.
2) The Blue (power out) wire of the key switch would be connected to a 2 amp fuse and then to Pin #1 of the CA3 main harness connector (6 pin). (Note: this Blue power out wire also connects to the controller "Power In" (Pin #7) as well is the coil of the Contactor.)
3) The three pin harness (Red, black, green) from the throttle connects to the three pin "throttle" harness of the CA3. However, I will place a diode (0.7 volt resistence drop) in the red wire (5V power wire) between the CA3 and the throttle as per instructions in section 4.2.3.2 of the manual.
4) Pin 6 of the CA3 main (6 pin) harness connector will be wired to the Throttle Signal pin of the controller (in my case, controller pin #3
5) Ebrakes will be connected to the CA3, not the controller
6) My intention is to wire the motor temperature sensor to the controller, not the CA3. Would that create any issues?
7) Remaining pins of the CA3 main harness connector (pins 2,3,4,5) will be connected per section 4.2.1.3

The starting sequence will be a) Connect battery pack power to the pre-charge system via the Howell E Stop which will energize the pre-charge circuit, b) after capacitors are charged, turn on the throttle key switch to close the contactor and fully power the controller and balance of the system.

The major question is, do I have the throttle wiring and diode placement correct? Also, are there any other problems in the above wiring description (sorry I don't have a nice wiring diagram...haven't learned that software yet).

A basic hookup to a Kelly KEB is shown >>>here<<<, which is pretty much what you are describing - but the devil is in the details.

cboy said:
My question regards wiring the throttle itself for which I am attempting to follow section 4.2.3.2 of the manual. As I understand it I would wire things as follows:

1) Battery Pack power (72V) would be connected to the Yellow "power in" wire of the throttle's key switch.
2) The Blue (power out) wire of the key switch would be connected to a 2 amp fuse and then to Pin #1 of the CA3 main harness connector (6 pin). (Note: this Blue power out wire also connects to the controller "Power In" (Pin #7) as well is the coil of the Contactor.)
In principle this is correct, although it's a little unclear how you are routing the wires. To do this the easy way, I would run 'throttle power out' back to the contactor, controller and CA-DP plug. This seems a little redundant since the CA-DP cable is going to run the power right back to the bars, but it's simple and the CA will be wired as intended. You might save a wire run by a little trickery with the CA-DP #1 pin connections, but I can't say I'm a fan.

cboy said:
3) The three pin harness (Red, black, green) from the throttle connects to the three pin "throttle" harness of the CA3. However, I will place a diode (0.7 volt resistence drop) in the red wire (5V power wire) between the CA3 and the throttle as per instructions in section 4.2.3.2 of the manual.
4) Pin 6 of the CA3 main (6 pin) harness connector will be wired to the Throttle Signal pin of the controller (in my case, controller pin #3
5) Ebrakes will be connected to the CA3, not the controller

Yep - that's all spot on.

cboy said:
6) My intention is to wire the motor temperature sensor to the controller, not the CA3. Would that create any issues?

Nope. Just leave that feature disabled in the CA. The primary advantage to letting the CA do this job is that you can configure the CA to give you a warning icon 5 degC before power rollback actually begins. This gives you an opportunity to deal with the coming problem by lightening up on the throttle, since once in power rollback the motor will take a while to cool enough to come back to full power. And, of course, you can adjust the CA limits in the field from the CA console. Neither of these may be compelling factors for you and your plan will work just fine.

cboy said:
The major question is, do I have the throttle wiring and diode placement correct? Also, are there any other problems in the above wiring description
Yep.
Nope.

A point worth considering in your proposal is a change to run the brake signal to both the controller and the CA. This would allow you to use regen braking which is a pretty nice feature. To do this you would need to build a little resistive voltage divider to hook across the controller brake input to GND that would convert the Kelly 0-12V brake signal to 0-5V for the CA. Something like a 1.2K and 820ohm resistors should work fine. That would draw about 6ma so any tiny wattage (1/10W) resistor you had on hand would be okay.

Something like this:
Code:
     brake sw     +--------> Kelly Brake input
         ___      |
+12V ----o o------+-----1.2K----+------820-----GND
                                |
                                v
                        CA brake input

Just a thought.... :)

teklektik said:
In principle this is correct, although it's a little unclear how you are routing the wires. To do this the easy way, I would run 'throttle power out' back to the contactor, controller and CA-DP plug. This seems a little redundant since the CA-DP cable is going to run the power right back to the bars, but it's simple and the CA will be wired as intended.

Agreed. I had already laid out the wiring this way and I think everything will reach where it needs to go without even adding on any extensions to the CA or throttle wiring. Also, thanks a ton for responding and letting me know I'm basically on the right track. Your manual is a godsend, and it is terrific to be able to double check on things. I've wired a number of small trikes (500W and 1000W) but this new one I'm building (7000W plus) brings a whole new set of challenges.

teklektik said:
A point worth considering in your proposal is a change to run the brake signal to both the controller and the CA. This would allow you to use regen braking which is a pretty nice feature.

I certainly want to use the regen feature of my Kelly controller. Are you saying that to use regen I would need to wire things up as you propose? If I set the regen in the Kelly software to engage via the throttle instead of the ebrake would that eliminate the need to wire as you propose. Or is there an alternative to just wire the ebrake to the controller? BTW, I'm actually running 2WD and thus two matching controllers. I didn't think that info was necessary for my original question but when we get into regen and ebrake connections, the dual controllers might start coming into play.

In re-reading section 5.4 on Ebrakes it seems clear I shouldn't used the CA3 cruise control if the ebrakes are plugged into the controller and not plugged into the CA3 (or not plugged into both using your wiring work around). But would it be okay to turn off the cruise control feature in the CA3, plug the ebrakes into the controller and then turn on the controller's cruise control feature. Would this have any detrimental side effects regarding the CA3 or my controller? Any safety issues?

Hmmmm. In reading further into section 5.5 it would appear the idea of running cruise control from the controller rather than the CA3 is not a good one. So it may be I'll have to do the wiring you suggested. Unfortunately I am very poor at understanding electronics or wiring diagrams etc. For example, I don't know what a "divider" is or what it might look like. I also don't know resistors except for the ones I got with the contactor to create the pre-charge circuit and the diode for the contactor coil. As a result I could use a little more explanation of exactly what your wiring actually does (how and why grounding the controller's brake input pin converts the Kelly brake signal to 5v). As best I can decode it:

a) I would attach my ebrake switch wires to the CA3 ebrake connector. (BTW my ebrakes have a two pin connector and the CA3 has a 4 pin connector with three wires...so not sure exactly how that gets connected up.)
b) I would then run a wire from the controller ebrake input pin (which appears to be pin # 25) and connect it to a ground pin on the controller (possibly pin 20 for the throttle ground - which is now unused). This wire would have a small resistor (1.2K/820 ohm) soldered between the two pins.

Is that it, or is there something else in your diagram/explanation that I am missing? Are there other brake wires that need connecting to make this work? Again, thanks for your help on this. It seems for many controllers the CA3 is far from plug and play.

I think I'm beginning to see your solution. Basically, the 12v ebrake wiring to the controller is hooked up normally...with one exception. The input wire to the controller has a "branch" which goes to a resistor (to convert to 5V) and then onto the CA3 ebrake input (would this be the blue wire on the brake harness?). Thus, when the brake is engaged a 12V signal is sent to the controller and a 5V signal is sent to the CA3. If that is correct, I don't get the part about grounding the 5V wire at the controller. I can see sending that 5V signal back to the CA3 and THEN grounding it within the CA3 to complete the circuit. So there is obviously something I am still missing about that part of it. Also, another possible wrinkle/solution. I have hydraulic brakes (fronts hand operated, rears foot pedal operated) so I would have to rig up the ebrake NO switches anyhow. So could I accomplish the same end by simply putting TWO switches on each brake lever, one hooked to the CA3 and the other hooked to the controller? That set up would send a 12V signal to the controller and a 5V signal to the CA3. Is that what we are shooting for? Simultaneous signals to the CA3 and controller each at their own appropriate voltage? And does that allow the regen to work without creating any safety issues?

cboy said:
I certainly want to use the regen feature of my Kelly controller. Are you saying that to use regen I would need to wire things up as you propose? If I set the regen in the Kelly software to engage via the throttle instead of the ebrake would that eliminate the need to wire as you propose.
Well - I've never used a Kelly and can't run the configuration app (no controller so it won't run). However, My understanding from the manual is that the Kelly three regen modes - the two useful modes for regen have fixed or variable regen but both require that you engage the ebrake for them to kick in.

cboy said:
Or is there an alternative to just wire the ebrake to the controller?
Whenever you trigger the controller ebrakes directly, you should also run the ebrake signal to the CA so it doesn't keep applying or increasing the throttle to try to counteract the strange battery current reading that it gets and doesn't understand. Again, my understanding is that the Kelly will not apply regen until the throttle signal goes to ZERO, so if the CA keeps applying throttle, the controller will never turn on regen.

As far as I know, there is no way to program the Kelly to simultaneously use the throttle to control both regen and throttle. You can make a little external circuit with a few parts to do that, but I believe that normally the Kelly requires a separate variable control for the regen.

cboy said:
BTW, I'm actually running 2WD and thus two matching controllers. I didn't think that info was necessary for my original question but when we get into regen and ebrake connections, the dual controllers might start coming into play.
Whoa - important item on the list!
You will want to be careful about grounds with two controllers. This is one of those cases where the difference between a schematic diagram showing what is connected is very different from a wiring diagram that shows where those things are connected. The wire runs can become important as currents are trying to scoot around between the controllers and the CA by whatever means they can find.

There are different schools of thought on this (and frankly some are arguably Bad Ideas) but for a 30,000ft view I recommend:
  • tie the controller and CA-DP grounds together using as short connection as possible and run to the battery GND from there.
  • The CA3 solves a lot of problems by providing a 5V throttle supply that is independent of both controllers.
  • You can join the controller throttle connections and drive them by the CA, but don't use the controller throttle ground connections.
  • Similarly, you can join the controller ebrake connections, but don't use the controller ebrake ground connections.
  • The best plan is to use a wheel pickup for the CA speed sensing instead of a controller hall. This ensures the speed distance stuff will always works regardless of which controller is powered up.
The general reasoning behind this stuff is mentioned in this post. There's a link there to a very good overall 2WD wiring diagram by teslanv.

The only issue with the wiring in those posts vs your situation is the annoying Kelly 12V brake signal.

cboy said:
Hmmmm. In reading further into section 5.5 it would appear the idea of running cruise control from the controller rather than the CA3 is not a good one.
Very bad plan. Battery monitoring/limiting and centralized control for autocruise or PAS are the sticky parts of 2WD design. Here is where the CA3 works out nicely. It can do all that stuff for two motors as easily as one so you only have one set of controls and everything plays together nicely.

cboy said:
For example, I don't know what a "divider" is or what it might look like. I also don't know resistors...

As best I can decode it:
a) I would attach my ebrake switch wires to the CA3 ebrake connector....
Nope - but your next post is better:

cboy said:
I think I'm beginning to see your solution. Basically, the 12v ebrake wiring to the controller is hooked up normally...with one exception. The input wire to the controller has a "branch" which goes to a resistor (to convert to 5V) and then onto the CA3 ebrake input (would this be the blue wire on the brake harness?). Thus, when the brake is engaged a 12V signal is sent to the controller and a 5V signal is sent to the CA3.

If that is correct, I don't get the part about grounding the 5V wire at the controller. I can see sending that 5V signal back to the CA3 and THEN grounding it within the CA3 to complete the circuit. So there is obviously something I am still missing about that part of it.
You have fallen prey to a common misunderstanding that suggests that resistors alone can lower/change voltage. It's really the current through the resistor that determines the voltage across the resistor (how much it drops the voltage), so you need to look at the entire circuit. Since some of the CA ebrake circuit is unknown to you and inside the CA, we use an external resistor divider to set the current through the resistors which allows us to say what the voltage drop will be without any foreknowledge of what's going on circuit-wise inside the CA. We just want to be sure we are using enough current so that any little extra bit the CA might use won't upset our calculations by more than a bit.

So - we might redraw the above diagram like so to help clarify the presentation:

KellyCA_ebrake.png

Here we see that this is called a divider because the 12V is divided proportionately across the two resistances. We can pick any resistances we want to get 5V as long as the resistor ratio is the same. So - we pick some values that allow high enough current that we think we'll overpower any little bit the CA is going to use.

Here I would recommend putting the R2 resistor on the CA PCB or directly across the CA ebrake connector pins since Bad Things will happen if the power is ON and the R2 GND connection is broken (12V will shoot into the CA EBK pin and bye-bye CA).

cboy said:
Also, another possible wrinkle/solution. I have hydraulic brakes (fronts hand operated, rears foot pedal operated) so I would have to rig up the ebrake NO switches anyhow. So could I accomplish the same end by simply putting TWO switches on each brake lever, one hooked to the CA3 and the other hooked to the controller? That set up would send a 12V signal to the controller and a 5V signal to the CA3. Is that what we are shooting for? Simultaneous signals to the CA3 and controller each at their own appropriate voltage? And does that allow the regen to work without creating any safety issues?
That's a bit of a mechanical PITA, but would work fine.
Any solution that gets braking signals to both controller and CA (as you suggest) will allow your regen to work fine - for fixed regen. To get variable regen you will also need to do a little fudging (extra thumb throttle), but that is exactly in keeping with the Kelly design concept.

The foot-operated rear brake makes this sound like a moped/motorcycle. If so and you already have secondary 12V power running a brake light, you could cheat and just hook a small 12V DPST DIP relay across the brake light to signal the controller and CA. In spite of being electro-mechanical, I think it's arguably a better solution than fiddling with multiple switch adjustments, etc. You still need to address the front brake issue, but one step at a time...

2WD regen can be problematic, but you might set your front motor for light fixed regen and set the rear for variable regen with a left thumb throttle. Many folks have wished for brake lever variable level regen control, but there doesn't seem to be a good commercial solution yet.

cboy said:
It seems for many controllers the CA3 is far from plug and play.
Quite the opposite. The problem is that your Kelly has a 12V brake circuit, etc and really shows an automotive or motorcycle heritage. Most ebike controllers and some Kellys use 5V brake logic and everything is much easier and only needs wire to hook up.

Much for me to process in your last post. I know I'll have more questions/alternatives but let me do some reading and thinking before I respond so that I can zero in on the issue and ask things more efficiently. Meanwhile a quick note. This project is a trike so the 2WD isn't front and rear wheels, it is the two rear wheels. I think that means any regen must be equal in the two controllers to prevent uneven and potentially dangerous braking effects...which may make the set-up even more challenging.

teklektik said:
...My understanding from the manual is that the Kelly three regen modes - the two useful modes for regen have fixed or variable regen but both require that you engage the ebrake for them to kick in.

I have re-read my Kelly manual and I think you might have been looking at an older version. Mine manual is Ver 1.10 and under "General Functions (section 2.1 item 18) it says, "Brake analog regen mode. This regen mode doesn't need brake switch to support any more on KLS controller. Only available on software ver 0106 or advanced version"

In addition, my KLS wiring diagram from the Kelly manual shows a three pin, 5 volt source, signal and ground circuit which, as best I understand it, can be programmed to control regen either by the brake switch or via a 0-5V variable input (I'm thinking separate thumb throttle mounted on the left handlebar.) Would this change by Kelly possibly solve the entire dilemma? As I see it, the ebrakes would be connected directly to the CA3 which would shut down power to the wheels when the brake is applied. The Kelly 5V Brake/Regen circuit would be connected to a "regen" thumb throttle. And the Kelly 12v brake circuit would not be connected at all.

Possibly I should bounce this off Fany as well to see if Kelly created this specifically as a solution to the problems you have identified.

A voltage divider for the ebrake is what i'm trying to do currently.
Im a little confused on the circuit as im assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the CA Ebk pin puts out 5v that when put to Gnd through the use of a switch on the brake lever will let the CA know the e brake has been activated and kill the throttle signal.

Referring to your diagram, should i:

A) connect the output labelled CA brake (0-5V) to the CA Ebk pin
and output labelled GND to the corresponding Ebk Gnd pin.

or

B) connect the output labelled CA brake (0-5V) to the CA Ebk's Gnd pin
and output labelled GND to a seperate Gnd

file.php

Sorry for the confusion, cant seem to get my head around this.

Willowfpv said:
A) ...
and output labeled GND to the corresponding Ebk Gnd pin.
or
B)...
and output labeled GND to a seperate Gnd

These are essentially the same since all Gnds are tied together - in particular, the CA Gnd is tied to controller Gnd. So - your decision is pretty much related to where you want to put the divider. The locale of the divide should largely be guided by the risk of losing the GND connection (such as unplugging the CA ebrake connector) while the Kelly has power.

To clarify - your primary concern is that the EBk connection is made without having the divider GND since this will apply 12V to the CA EBk input and zap the CA. This might happen plugging/unplugging the CA ebrake connector where you are not guaranteed the GND pin connects first. Using a divider, I would solder R2 of the divider inside the CA case across the EBk and ebrake GND pins and run out the high side of R1 as the 'Kelly ebrake' connection. This would ensure that a bad connection, etc could never lose the divider GND. Outwardly, this is modding the CA to have a 12V brake input.

There are other means to accomplish this - small dip relay, optoisolator, transistor/FET driver, etc that are arguably safer when there are external connectors involved, but if you do the soldered connection approach, you should have a simple robust solution.

Notice that you will need to configure the CA EBrake polarity for 'Active High'.

Thanks, i understand the voltage divider circuit now. I will put an 820 ohm resistor across the Ebk and Ebk gnd pin. The 12v signal from the controller that passess through the mechanical ebrake will return to the controller to activate regen but also branch to the CA Ebk pin with a 1200 ohm resistor in between. giving me 5v at the ebk pin.

What is confusing me is if the ebk pin needs 5v to activate. How does it work when there is an ebrake (a switch) only attached to the CA?

Willowfpv said:
What is confusing me is if the ebk pin needs 5v to activate. How does it work when there is an ebrake (a switch) only attached to the CA?
The EBk pin has a weak pull-up to 5V internal to the CA. Normally, closing the ebrake switch pulls the 'already 5V' EBk pin to Gnd. In the case of the divider above, we are expecting the 820ohm resistor to drag the pin close to Gnd when the ebrake switch is open. Closing the switch will apply 12V to the Kelly and pull EBk to about 5V because of the divider.

Not to confuse matters but on my trike I went with a slightly different alternative for the e-brakes, Cycle Analyst 3 and controllers. My trike is basically a motorcycle so it has 12 volt wiring and lights for the braking system. The only thing that needed 5 volts was the e-brake shut off for the CA3. So what I did was wire TWO relays into the 12 volt brake wiring. The first relay sends 12 volts to light the brake lights and the other relay closes the 5 volt ebrake circuit from the CA3 thereby cutting power to the controllers. My particular Kelly controllers no longer require the 12 volt brake signal in order for the regen system to operate (I believe this is true for most of the newer Kelly controllers).
The only complication was that I also wanted to have the CA3 cut power to the contollers whenever I engaged the regen lever. (I have variable regen which is operated with an E-brake lever and cable which engages a thumb throttle). So this "regen lever" is also wired into the 5 volt CA3 ebrake wiring coming off the 5 volt relay. Now, if I only use regen as my braking source, it cuts power to the controllers and then applies the variable regen based on how tightly I squeeze the lever.

teklektik said:
The EBk pin has a weak pull-up to 5V internal to the CA. Normally, closing the ebrake switch pulls the 'already 5V' EBk pin to Gnd. In the case of the divider above, we are expecting the 820ohm resistor to drag the pin close to Gnd when the ebrake switch is open. Closing the switch will apply 12V to the Kelly and pull EBk to about 5V because of the divider.

Thanks, I understand completely now. This is why i will have to change the CA EBrake polarity to 'Active High' as it would normally be active when it goes low.

cboy said:
Not to confuse matters but on my trike I went with a slightly different alternative for the e-brakes..

Thanks, i like the voltage divider solution because it doesn't take up any room in comparison to using a relay although that would be a simpler solution for me as i can actually wire one :lol: . Strange that the new controller i have is 12v on the Kelly diagram, I will check with my meter its actually putting out 12v.

teklektik said:
cboy said:
I certainly want to use the regen feature of my Kelly controller. Are you saying that to use regen I would need to wire things up as you propose? If I set the regen in the Kelly software to engage via the throttle instead of the ebrake would that eliminate the need to wire as you propose.
Well - I've never used a Kelly and can't run the configuration app (no controller so it won't run). However, My understanding from the manual is that the Kelly three regen modes - the two useful modes for regen have fixed or variable regen but both require that you engage the ebrake for them to kick in.

cboy said:
Or is there an alternative to just wire the ebrake to the controller?
Whenever you trigger the controller ebrakes directly, you should also run the ebrake signal to the CA so it doesn't keep applying or increasing the throttle to try to counteract the strange battery current reading that it gets and doesn't understand. Again, my understanding is that the Kelly will not apply regen until the throttle signal goes to ZERO, so if the CA keeps applying throttle, the controller will never turn on regen.

As far as I know, there is no way to program the Kelly to simultaneously use the throttle to control both regen and throttle. You can make a little external circuit with a few parts to do that, but I believe that normally the Kelly requires a separate variable control for the regen.

cboy said:
BTW, I'm actually running 2WD and thus two matching controllers. I didn't think that info was necessary for my original question but when we get into regen and ebrake connections, the dual controllers might start coming into play.
Whoa - important item on the list!
You will want to be careful about grounds with two controllers. This is one of those cases where the difference between a schematic diagram showing what is connected is very different from a wiring diagram that shows where those things are connected. The wire runs can become important as currents are trying to scoot around between the controllers and the CA by whatever means they can find.

There are different schools of thought on this (and frankly some are arguably Bad Ideas) but for a 30,000ft view I recommend:
  • tie the controller and CA-DP grounds together using as short connection as possible and run to the battery GND from there.
  • The CA3 solves a lot of problems by providing a 5V throttle supply that is independent of both controllers.
  • You can join the controller throttle connections and drive them by the CA, but don't use the controller throttle ground connections.
  • Similarly, you can join the controller ebrake connections, but don't use the controller ebrake ground connections.
  • The best plan is to use a wheel pickup for the CA speed sensing instead of a controller hall. This ensures the speed distance stuff will always works regardless of which controller is powered up.
The general reasoning behind this stuff is mentioned in this post. There's a link there to a very good overall 2WD wiring diagram by teslanv.

The only issue with the wiring in those posts vs your situation is the annoying Kelly 12V brake signal.

cboy said:
Hmmmm. In reading further into section 5.5 it would appear the idea of running cruise control from the controller rather than the CA3 is not a good one.
Very bad plan. Battery monitoring/limiting and centralized control for autocruise or PAS are the sticky parts of 2WD design. Here is where the CA3 works out nicely. It can do all that stuff for two motors as easily as one so you only have one set of controls and everything plays together nicely.

cboy said:
For example, I don't know what a "divider" is or what it might look like. I also don't know resistors...

As best I can decode it:
a) I would attach my ebrake switch wires to the CA3 ebrake connector....
Nope - but your next post is better:

cboy said:
I think I'm beginning to see your solution. Basically, the 12v ebrake wiring to the controller is hooked up normally...with one exception. The input wire to the controller has a "branch" which goes to a resistor (to convert to 5V) and then onto the CA3 ebrake input (would this be the blue wire on the brake harness?). Thus, when the brake is engaged a 12V signal is sent to the controller and a 5V signal is sent to the CA3.

If that is correct, I don't get the part about grounding the 5V wire at the controller. I can see sending that 5V signal back to the CA3 and THEN grounding it within the CA3 to complete the circuit. So there is obviously something I am still missing about that part of it.
You have fallen prey to a common misunderstanding that suggests that resistors alone can lower/change voltage. It's really the current through the resistor that determines the voltage across the resistor (how much it drops the voltage), so you need to look at the entire circuit. Since some of the CA ebrake circuit is unknown to you and inside the CA, we use an external resistor divider to set the current through the resistors which allows us to say what the voltage drop will be without any foreknowledge of what's going on circuit-wise inside the CA. We just want to be sure we are using enough current so that any little extra bit the CA might use won't upset our calculations by more than a bit.

So - we might redraw the above diagram like so to help clarify the presentation:

KellyCA_ebrake.png

Here we see that this is called a divider because the 12V is divided proportionately across the two resistances. We can pick any resistances we want to get 5V as long as the resistor ratio is the same. So - we pick some values that allow high enough current that we think we'll overpower any little bit the CA is going to use.

Here I would recommend putting the R2 resistor on the CA PCB or directly across the CA ebrake connector pins since Bad Things will happen if the power is ON and the R2 GND connection is broken (12V will shoot into the CA EBK pin and bye-bye CA).

cboy said:
Also, another possible wrinkle/solution. I have hydraulic brakes (fronts hand operated, rears foot pedal operated) so I would have to rig up the ebrake NO switches anyhow. So could I accomplish the same end by simply putting TWO switches on each brake lever, one hooked to the CA3 and the other hooked to the controller? That set up would send a 12V signal to the controller and a 5V signal to the CA3. Is that what we are shooting for? Simultaneous signals to the CA3 and controller each at their own appropriate voltage? And does that allow the regen to work without creating any safety issues?
That's a bit of a mechanical PITA, but would work fine.
Any solution that gets braking signals to both controller and CA (as you suggest) will allow your regen to work fine - for fixed regen. To get variable regen you will also need to do a little fudging (extra thumb throttle), but that is exactly in keeping with the Kelly design concept.

The foot-operated rear brake makes this sound like a moped/motorcycle. If so and you already have secondary 12V power running a brake light, you could cheat and just hook a small 12V DPST DIP relay across the brake light to signal the controller and CA. In spite of being electro-mechanical, I think it's arguably a better solution than fiddling with multiple switch adjustments, etc. You still need to address the front brake issue, but one step at a time...

2WD regen can be problematic, but you might set your front motor for light fixed regen and set the rear for variable regen with a left thumb throttle. Many folks have wished for brake lever variable level regen control, but there doesn't seem to be a good commercial solution yet.

cboy said:
It seems for many controllers the CA3 is far from plug and play.
Quite the opposite. The problem is that your Kelly has a 12V brake circuit, etc and really shows an automotive or motorcycle heritage. Most ebike controllers and some Kellys use 5V brake logic and everything is much easier and only needs wire to hook up.

hi all,

is it possible to place a diode between CA-brake (0-5V) and R1 + R2 connection to protct the CA input ??

Back