Kinni's NEW conversion

Kinni420

100 W
Hi guys, It's been a while.

So my old 9c finally bit the dust (I actually got tired of fixing it) and now Im going for something a little more modern and cleaner. The Luna BBSHD! Its going on this:

http://www.konaworld.com/2017/lava_dome.cfm

The kit is purchased and on it's way.

For those of you that already have this motor, Im looking for advice on the front chainring. Considering this is a 29er, Im wondering what chainring size to get. I ride a lot of flat/semi-flat here, but would occasionally go flying off into the woods.

Secondly, I need a battery. No more LiPo for me, Ive had too many bad cells from HK and Im really wanting a Shark pack at 52v. Unfortunately Luna is out of stock at the moment on almost their entire range of hardcase 52v batteries and Im looking for a reputable dealer here in the US as I refuse to buy from China anymore.

ok...so, no replies.

I went with the luna one 36t sprocket and it does 34 mph at full throttle (gps confirmed). Battery came ordered from China, 14s4p 52v 18650 Samsung 35E. So much for not ordering from China.

my images doent seem to be working no pics here, click link for a view.

https://ibb.co/cpLAQH

bike_pics_002.jpg

Great looking bike and install Kinni.

At those high speeds who can pedal, I'd want something where I can help the batteries out on take off and up hills. The up hills part is the figuring out part. At what speed do you need to go up the hill and yet be able to help by pedaling.

That's just throttle only markz. The entire purpose of buying this kit was for the pedal-assist mode, and if I need it having the throttle option (like when I'm in the completely wrong gear at a stop light and need some help taking off).

On my old 9c hub motor, it was throttle only all the time. Pedaling the bike was a joke. The motor had quite a lot of rolling resistance behind it and it weighed a good 15 pounds more than this set up. I would still pedal along with the motor when really flying along just to relieve the boredom of sitting there and also to give a bit of an impression that I was actually doing something with the pedals even though the freewheel never actually caught up to the wheel. For legalities sake. With this set up I cannot use the throttle and pedal as it confuses the controller and makes a herky-jerky ride. So its one or the other, not both as before. So i pedal.

With the new ebike laws here in California, I can legally go up to 28 mph when using the pedals, 20 when throttle only. The motor can pump out 1500w in PAS 5 but I find that PAS 2 keeps me pedaling comfortably at about 20-23 mph without having to expend much energy. At this PAS level, I climb small hills like they weren't even there and steeper hills I used to push up, I just shift down one and climb it at 14-15. The 36t chainring I have really wont let my legs keep up much after 24 mph, so Im basicly legal unless I want to drop another 100 on a 42t from Luna (which I may do). Changing out the chainring is a simple enough process. Pull the crank arm, 5 bolts out and in, replace crank arm. 5 minutes.

Coffey Park, Santa Rosa CA. 6 Months later. Used to be a packed upper middle class neighborhood.

Attachments

• march18 006.JPG
    march18 006.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 669
Back