Are 3.7 8ah LiPo batteries 25c 200A super cells good for ebike

jcool3

100 mW
4 SPIM08HP 3.7V 8AH LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERIES 25C 200A SUPER CELLS 24V 36V 48V
on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/183036786061?rmvSB=true
Cost about $10 each. 10 in series would make 37V battery for ebike.
Sounds like a pretty good deal. jehugarcia has a video 200A LiPOs on a DIY Electric Skateboard build
but he discuss charging.

My questions is what to use for a charger and would they need to be balanced charged?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 8.54.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 8.54.10 AM.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 7,386
I have little trust in generic discount Lipo cells. They are dangerous enough when sourced from a known brand. In my head, I associate the term "Discount Lipo" with terms like "Discount Condoms", or "Discount Parachute." It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Charging lipo should be done one of two ways. One is with a balance charger, that charges each cell individually. The other is with a bulk charger through a BMS, that handles monitoring the cell balance.

jcool3 said:
Sounds like a pretty good deal. jehugarcia has a video 200A LiPOs on a DIY Electric Skateboard build
but he discuss charging.

My questions is what to use for a charger and would they need to be balanced charged?
I've been looking at those cells for a while and I'm not concerned w/ their quality. Appearently, they were used in a prototype bus and have few cycles on them. That, and the seller is well known
and respected in the DIY battery community.
The reason I passed on them is because they are way over-kill for my Ebikes and for yours too. If you were an expert building a high discharge system, they would be worth considering.
And since you are asking if LiPoly cells need to be balanced, well, they are not for you.
Look at their 36V Powerwall-celled Li-Ion packs that already have a BMS built in . Although they are listed as used cells, they are new according to Combat Engineer who reviewed them on Youtube. He thinks they are fantastic.

motomech said:
jcool3 said:
but he discuss charging.

I've been looking at those cells for a while and I'm not concerned w/ their quality. Appearently, they were used in a prototype bus and have few cycles on them. That, and the seller is well known
and respected in the DIY battery community.
The reason I passed on them is because they are way over-kill for my Ebikes and for yours too. If you were an expert building a high discharge system, they would be worth considering.
And since you are asking if LiPoly cells need to be balanced, well, they are not for you.
Look at their 36V Powerwall-celled Li-Ion packs that already have a BMS built in . Although they are listed as used cells, they are new according to Combat Engineer who reviewed them on Youtube. He thinks they are fantastic.

Are your Powerwall-celled Li-Ion packs the Lg 36v packs? They are long sold out gone. I have 3 of those lg/Samsung on my Ebike. Was looking for a backup battery system.

Did anyone ever get some of these and try them on their ebike? I think I'm going to say screw it and order myself 16 of these 4cell packs to make a 20S 3P 72v24Ah pack for my build that has a QS 205 50H with a PV F24150 12kW controller that can take 150a battery current and put out 300a phase current and can be dialed down as I see fit. This is my best option for my budget. My build is just a paperweight without a battery and I've had it finished for going on 2 months and my diy laptop battery project is no where close to what this set up needs to run. If there are any other suggestions I'm open to them but for $550 I highly doubt anything is out there that can meet this

I use 8Ah lipo cells, 30-50c Zippy from Hobby king. They were at a good price, free shipping, arrived in 2 weeks. I got the first from a friend, liked them and ordered more from Hobbyking. They are true spec, didn’t swell much, 500 cycles done.

I don’t see any advantage buying them used and lower spec at 10$, when you can have them new and assembled in bricks for 1 or 2$ more, shipping included.

I used these for a 12s pack. I have a few cycles on the pack so far and they seem to be working great. Most of the cells capacity tested over 9ah. All the info I found about them suggest that the cells are 3.6v lithium-ion manganese chemistry.

How did you attach wires to these cells/the cells to eachother? Did soldering work normally? Hardware (nuts/bolts)? Spot welding? They're way cheaper than buying any new lipo packs and I'm just wondering how tough they are to actually make into a pack.

I've been using them for over two years now.
Built a 3S3P pack for my e-kayak.
an 11S and 12S for my two etrike projects.
I find them very reliable and as safe as any quality LIPO pouch cell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_mHqUxeXw&t=102s

How tall are the taps ? I'm thinking of 20s2p probably best as two 10s2p for fast charging . So be high quality automotive cells. Now to make a mock up

999zip999 said:
How tall are the taps ? I'm thinking of 20s2p probably best as two 10s2p for fast charging . So be high quality automotive cells. Now to make a mock up

I can tell ya iun the morning. Tom gave me 24 of them to play with. Good numbers from the current batch. I'll update this with a edit with X-Y-Z dimensions, Zip, also tab thicknesses. They have very thick tabs.

I got a little excited 20s2p is 40 cells to for a large triangle. Gotta make some much up for shear.
Thanks dogdipstick I can wait. As I might have to pay for a 18650 triangle pack.

999zip999 said:
I got a little excited 20s2p is 40 cells to for a large triangle. Gotta make some much up for shear.
Thanks dogdipstick I can wait. As I might have to pay for a 18650 triangle pack.

Yeah thats the problem Im running into all the time.. the bulk. yes these are gonna take up a bit with 40 cells.... but they are relativly thin and like I said.. the tabs are thick and bolt-able.

EV-class, excellent!

Anyone know who actually makes these SPIM08HP?

second-hand, gotta really trust the source. . .

seems to be these guys

https://www.google.com/search?q=CITIC+Guoan+Mengguli+OR+MGL

Cell tabs are VERY heavy. Made for quick builds of my 10S, 11S, and 12S packs
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=104415&p=1525666&hilit=pouch+clips#p1525666

I'm on a trail to something. I found these cells at battery hookup in USA in there they had a video YouTube that showed this guy who invented a holder for 20s his name is Mike Poff. I don't know how to get ahold of him or how to find them I looked on Facebook but there's a bunch of them. Maybe somebody knows of him orkin tell me how to find him.

Hobbyking is on my last nerve. I might just have to cancel and order 40Ah of these instead.

Wonder if they'd use anyone aside from FedEx for shipping. FedEx might be a dealbreaker.

All shipping from China is very long right now. Orders from February are just starting to arrive. Even shipping US to Canada is long, I’ve been waiting 5 weeks for common fletching parts that usually come within a week. Not a good time to buy RC lipo at Hobbyking for both, price and delays.

And I'd be very wary of using USPS for anything longer than a week or two out.

Very possible the US administration's conflict with them will cause additional chaos, especially as we get closer to November.

The Ebay ad lists them as located in Pennsylvania. I'd be fine with USPS for that, under normal circumstances anyway. Right now at this moment however any shipping option is a crap-shoot.

O.K. bitches I pulled the trigger ! And one box of new 36cells and four more that may be new. All this for 196.40 usd I think that's with 20.00usd shipping. The 36 are new in one box. Four from an open box all with holders ? That snap together ? Wish me luck I'm going in.

I was just following this thread but I will follow up here and let you know when the batteries here I and what's going on what shape but they seem too cheap to be true which is I don't know. But there's some reason there's a ton of these to be sold new and used

Back