Lacing Moto Rim to Hub Motor

markz

100 TW
Do you guys think this will be a problem lacing MXUS 3000W XF40-45H into such a small 16x1.60 motorcycle rim using a Shinko 244 tire?

The best option for me, for top quality spokes is Justin at ebikes.ca he has Sapims and one option is the 13-14G double butted Sapim cut at 115.5mm for a very reasonable price.

Angle is stating 49.5 but what worries me is maybe the nipples for 13-14G double butted wont fit right in the rim holes which are 6.30-6.35mm. I have some 12G at 164mm and the nipples fit fine because the head is 6.55mm body is 4.58mm with no side to side movement. Perhaps I may need to do washers on the nipples, I've done washers for the hub flange holes.

There is another option but I dont want to go 12G with my steel rim.
Holmes Hobby has 10G, 11-12G, 12G, 13G, 13-14G, 14G. And is $15 more in price, plus another $10 in customs usually.

For an 18 inch steel mc rim I use 10 gage spokes in a 2 cross pattern.

10G.jpg

For a 16 inch rim you might consider a 1 cross pattern, maybe even re-drill the hub flange to get the spoke angle in the ballpark.

Good Luck

FWIW, I'm using a radial lacing with 70-something-mm 13-14g butted sapim from grin on the same motors on my SB Cruiser trike.

Drilled new holes in the MXUS for the smaller spokes, better than washers. ;)

My 20" x 45mm (16" in moto terms) rim's eyelets are already right size for the nipples.

Shinko SR714 2.5" tires.

Works fine, heavy trike, loads, sideloading, etc.

A similar build with nonbutted 13g sapim on HSR3548 has survived two severe pothole strikes, destroying two rims but the spokes are still in use. First one was on back of CrazyBike2, second was recently on the trike (retensioned spokes and retrued for roundness and am still riding on it).

I'd rather use at least a 1x lacing but not an option with my rim; can't get the necessary angle at the nipple without bending stuff (which will break it over time). Was better to do the radial.

However, since you're using a moto rim and a hub with moto-sized spoke holes, there's no reason not to use moto spokes, if they'll fit; just make sure you tension them sufficiently.

Back