Is Graphene Tire Revolution Finally Coming?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Is Graphene Tire Revolution Finally Coming?

Post by LockH » Mar 20 2018 12:00pm

Hehe... ESB "Search found 957 matches: Graphene"...
... and "Search found 21 matches: Graphene tire"... includes:
Grips better, less rolling resistance, and possibly the fastest tire on the market.. But Graphene will never to be more than some "unicorn".. I'm just embarrassed for you dude.
Meanwhile...

Is Graphene Tyre Revolution Finally Coming? Hehe... Funny Euro folks... "tire" spelled funny... :wink:
http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/nie ... g-10133257

Starts:
LOMAZZO, Italy – Is it finally living up to the promises; is the revolution in tyres really coming now? It appears so now a new patent has been announced by Graphene producer Directa Plus while bigger orders have been placed by the one and only bicycle tyre maker using this wonder material; Vittoria.
Includes:
Graphene Plus patent

For using the Graphene additive in its compounds Vittoria entered into a joint venture with Directa Plus SpA. This company recently announced that it has received the patent for Graphene Plus (G+) elastomeric composition for tyres. G+ simultaneously reduces resistance and increases grip in automobile, motorcycle and bicycle tyres.

Directa Plus got the patent from the Italian Patent and Trademark Office. It’s for the product and application of its new graphene based solution for enhancing the performance of tyres. Specifically, the patent covers Directa Plus’ ‘elastomeric composition comprising graphene and tyre components’.
8)
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Is Graphene Tire Revolution Finally Coming?

Post by spinningmagnets » Mar 20 2018 1:38pm

I know graphene is a "buzz" product, likely to be overhyped. However, I am glad to hear that there is a product that will be using graphene, because industrial-scale production will quickly lead to the price and availability coming down to sane levels. Then, there will be experimentation with a product of reliable and consistent quality.

I'm sure that whatever carbon product that they will be putting into these tires will have other uses. Whether or not it is "true" graphene...I don't care. If its even close to being four layers thick, and also affordable...it will spur a burst of new applications, so we can see what it is useful for. Not in theory, in the real world.

If a new wonder battery claims to have three times the energy density of modern lithium cells, but...it only really has twice the density?...It is still a good thing.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Mar 20 2018 3:40pm

Until we better understand the health risks of graphene exposure, it seems like gross negligence to put it in a product that is designed to shed its material into the human environment.

Molecularly, this stuff is much gnarlier than asbestos. Think free-floating razor blades to asbestos's sharpened fence posts. I don't like to contemplate what it does to DNA.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

Dauntless   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Dauntless » Mar 21 2018 12:51am

I see where graphene might make a puncture proof tire if it's in the cord, but traction? Counter intuitive. Sounds like vaporware. Let's see what kind of investment money can be lured by talk of graphene, sexy graphene.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM MAGIC!
- Arthur C. Clarke

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Apr 06 2018 3:41pm

Hehe... ESB "Search found 965 matches: Graphene"... again:

Mass production of Graphene moves a step closer with “cost effective” breakthrough :
https://cyclingindustry.news/mass-produ ... akthrough/

Starts:
A Singapore research team has developed a new Graphene production method that requires 50 times less solvent than traditional methods and one that opens the door to larger-scale production.

Pioneered by a team at the National University Singapore, the team set about creating a more sustainable method to harvest what has been dubbed a wonder material by many.
:wink:

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

12-C   100 W

100 W

Post by 12-C » Apr 12 2018 12:25pm

Chalo wrote:
Mar 20 2018 3:40pm
Until we better understand the health risks of graphene exposure, it seems like gross negligence to put it in a product that is designed to shed its material into the human environment.

Molecularly, this stuff is much gnarlier than asbestos. Think free-floating razor blades to asbestos's sharpened fence posts. I don't like to contemplate what it does to DNA.
Precisely....

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jun 14 2018 11:06am

Pioneer Vittoria Explains Graphene Tyre Technology:
https://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/ni ... y-10133901

Starts:
MADONE, Italy – In the past five years Vittoria has been working intensively on the integration of wonder material Graphene in the rubber of its tyres. That proved to be a bigger challenge than expected. However, with more and more ‘Graphene-tyres’ being introduced by Vittoria that now also uses the exceptional characteristics of the material for carbon rims, that challenge seems to be overcome. Reason for Vittoria to explain more on Graphene.
Includes:
200 times stronger than steel
:mrgreen:

... and:
Moreover, one of the key findings was that Graphene-enhanced carbon wheels for tubeless tyres are now able to be used at higher air pressures and experience enhanced braking in all conditions.”
8)

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Jun 14 2018 5:58pm

LockH wrote:
Jun 14 2018 11:06am

... and:
Moreover, one of the key findings was that Graphene-enhanced carbon wheels for tubeless tyres are now able to be used at higher air pressures and experience enhanced braking in all conditions.”
8)
Didn’t Toyo tires achieve the same with husk of nuts since the 80’s ?
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jun 14 2018 6:04pm

^^ Maybe... but that's nuts. :lol:

wturber   100 kW

100 kW

Post by wturber » Jun 14 2018 7:33pm

MadRhino wrote:
Jun 14 2018 5:58pm

Didn’t Toyo tires achieve the same with husk of nuts since the 80’s ?
Yep. Treated walnuts shells. Not sure if the tire is also made stronger tho.

A few years back I did some investigation into rubber formulations while considering having some table tennis rubber made. Apparently additives and fillers are super important in determining rubber characteristics.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
8 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1000 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90369