Speed limiter for my bike...

grga

1 W
Hi guys!

Could you please be so kind and help me with speed limiter. The thing is that my older son (16 years old) would like to use my bike from time to time but it is, at least in my opinion, too fast for him, atm, top speed is around 60 kph.

I'd like to limit it to desired top speed, let's say, 40 kph but all other performances should be kept. Limiter should be easy accessible and stealth or key or PIN protected so he could't reset it without me.

Is there a simple solution for my "troubles"? :D

Thank you very much for your answer(s).

If the existing controller doesn't have a speed limiter function, you can go to http://ebikes.ca and ask them about the Cycle Analyst, and what it would take for your specific setup to install as a speed limiter.

controller has that options (50, 80, 120%), of course. sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post... :D

question is what to use with it as a switch...

grga said:
controller has that options (50, 80, 120%), of course. sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough in my initial post... :D

question is that to use with it...

Then I have no idea what you're asking for. You'll need to be very explicit in what you want that you don't already have, and you'll need to say exactly what you already have and what it does and how.

Cheapest and simplest is probably a key switch connected to your speed limiter wires on the controller.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Durable-3-P...224691?hash=item48a9f7a5f3:g:bcEAAOSwT8FarHKl

Something like that. And then you'd probably want to put it into some kind of enclosure to protect it from the weather.

Cycle Analyst could be another option, but more expensive and I'm not sure if it has any kind of security features that would allow it to be locked down.

It basically gets more complicated from there, you could probably use an arduino or similar to switch the same 3 position speed limiter, but then you'd need some kind of interface for it, be it a custom cell phone app communicating through bluetooth or an actual physical keypad connected to the arduino. All that would require some programming knowledge.

yep!

that could be good for that purpose, only thing I have to know is if it's possible to take out key after I lock it. I have smart BMS with bluetooth option but I can't restrict speed with it, only thing I can do is regulation of charging and discharging cells voltage. some Chinese android app is what I use for that.

what I would like the most is something with PIN protected switch. when I enter PIN a "lock" it and when I enter PIN again I "unlock" it. solution without keys, just PIN. it's strange for me that one can find home door lock which is PIN protected and I can't find just simple PIN protected switch.

maybe my keywords are wrong, could someone be so kind and help me about it?

grga said:
what I would like the most is something with PIN protected switch. when I enter PIN a "lock" it and when I enter PIN again I "unlock" it. solution without keys, just PIN. it's strange for me that one can find home door lock which is PIN protected and I can't find just simple PIN protected switch.

While it may be possible to find something like that, it might be a problem to power it. Most of them I've seen use a mechanical relay, which takes a bit of power. Your controller has 5v readily available but very limited current.

Search for "Electronic password lock"
or
"Electronic ebike lock"

Some of these are made to be alarms, but could possibly be hacked to just switch on/off

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic...517437?hash=item43f0f6d67d:g:iHcAAOSwwo1XcppB

There are also RFID locks where you need to carry a tag to enable it. Problem is power supply.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-RFID-Electric-Door-Magnetic-Keypad-Lock-Control-ID-Card-Password-Cable/202208884317?hash=item2f1496b65d:g:4c0AAOSw8H1aTyn1

I've used the super simple, super cheap key switches before and they work fine. Most of them the key can be removed in either position.

Key Switch.jpg

A magnetic reed switch, like the kind they use on security systems or bike speedometers might be another option. You need a magnet in the right spot to activate. The spot needs to be non-obvious since any magnet would work.

My speed limiter is my thumb for use on the thumb throttle.
I really see no need for speed limitations unless you are in the UK or NY I guess or anywhere where the fuzzies give you the stink eye.

fechter said:
While it may be possible to find something like that, it might be a problem to power it. Most of them I've seen use a mechanical relay, which takes a bit of power. Your controller has 5v readily available but very limited current.

Search for "Electronic password lock"
or
"Electronic ebike lock"

Some of these are made to be alarms, but could possibly be hacked to just switch on/off

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic...517437?hash=item43f0f6d67d:g:iHcAAOSwwo1XcppB

There are also RFID locks where you need to carry a tag to enable it. Problem is power supply.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Security-RFID-Electric-Door-Magnetic-Keypad-Lock-Control-ID-Card-Password-Cable/202208884317?hash=item2f1496b65d:g:4c0AAOSw8H1aTyn1

I've used the super simple, super cheap key switches before and they work fine. Most of them the key can be removed in either position.

Key Switch.jpg

A magnetic reed switch, like the kind they use on security systems or bike speedometers might be another option. You need a magnet in the right spot to activate. The spot needs to be non-obvious since any magnet would work.

thank you very much for so detailed suggestions. most likely is that I'd stick to classic key switch, just have to find one where key can be removed in either position and that's it. I'd say it is more reliable than any other option, and it is really not expensive at all.

thank you, again.

Security system key switches are a good source for this type of switch since they generally need to allow the key to be removed in both positions and the exterior ones are already built to be exposed to the elements.

Try a search of eBay for 'Security Key Switch'.
Or UK eBay for 'Security Key Switch'.

Your main difficulty will likely be the busy little hands of a 16yr old who will want to bypass it - so a mounting problem. Whether you attach it to the underside of a CA3 housing to be accessed from the side or to a controller housing, you might consider bedding the switch in a blob of epoxy putty that can be screwed to the housing from the inside (set some nuts or rivnuts in the epoxy). Route the wires through a hole in the housing that is covered with the epoxy blob. With a little sanding and paint prior to final assembly, you should get a nice little bullet-blob with a keyslot at the end and no exposed wiring.

teklektik said:
Security system key switches are a good source for this type of switch since they generally need to allow the key to be removed in both positions and the exterior ones are already built to be exposed to the elements.

Try a search of eBay for 'Security Key Switch'.
Or UK eBay for 'Security Key Switch'.

Your main difficulty will likely be the busy little hands of a 16yr old who will want to bypass it - so a mounting problem. Whether you attach it to the underside of a CA3 housing to be accessed from the side or to a controller housing, you might consider bedding the switch in a blob of epoxy putty that can be screwed to the housing from the inside (set some nuts or rivnuts in the epoxy). Route the wires through a hole in the housing that is covered with the epoxy blob. With a little sanding and paint prior to final assembly, you should get a nice little bullet-blob with a keyslot at the end and no exposed wiring.

It won't because my bike is Greyborg, no troubles for mounting. ;)

On my Greyborg I mounted the keyswitch in the hole at the top of the front forks. Something along the lines that was mentioned, the switch is epoxied into a PVC pipe section which I turned to snugly fit into the hole in the fork top.

This ignition type switch has several contacts, eventually I'll wire more of them up to short out the motor when in the off position to provide additional theft resistance. Shorted Cromotors don't roll very well :)

I set it up like a vehicle ignition switch - off, acc, run - so it shorts the throttle when in acc position to avoid accidental throttle. Your application is different of course.

Attachments

• borgKeyswitch.PNG
    borgKeyswitch.PNG
    156.3 KB · Views: 989
Back