Backward Pedalling to clean chain

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
DaninSpain   100 mW

100 mW

Backward Pedalling to clean chain

Post by DaninSpain » Apr 01 2018 8:20am

Hi.

I suspect I may be missing something here, but on every bike I have ever owned I have cleaned my chain with a chain cleaner by peddling backward to rotate the chain through the cleaner.

I have recently purchased my first electric bike (Frey AM1000), which I am very pleased with, but I just noticed when I pedal backward the chain doesn't move.

Can anyone point out my obvious mistake, or if no mistake am I looking at having to raise the rear wheel off the ground to clean the chain? If so, that's a bit of a pain as the bike weighs 30kg.

Thanks for any help.
The best things in life are not things :)

dustNbone   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Backward Pedalling to clean chain

Post by dustNbone » Apr 01 2018 8:44am

That's just a fact of life with an integrated mid drive system like that. The pedals themselves are on their own freewheel, to allow them to remain stationary while the motor is running. Pedals stop, chainring (and chain) keeps moving.

I have a couple of small lag bolts in the edge of my workbench in the garage, I hoist the back end up and hook the back of the rack over the bolts, leaving the wheel in the air. Then I just use the throttle to run the chain while I clean/lube it. I guess if your system has no throttle you'd just use the pedals to do the same thing.

Easiest solution I've found anyway. But I guess it requires a rack.

You might need to build/buy a center stand, I've done this for my dirt bikes before.

Just a simple pair of triangles for the sides with a platform on top suitable to support the bottom bracket/front of the swingarm, slightly behind the center of weight so the rear wheel is off the ground.

DaninSpain   100 mW

100 mW

Post by DaninSpain » Apr 01 2018 12:02pm

dustNbone wrote:
Apr 01 2018 8:44am
That's just a fact of life with an integrated mid drive system like that. The pedals themselves are on their own freewheel, to allow them to remain stationary while the motor is running. Pedals stop, chainring (and chain) keeps moving.

I have a couple of small lag bolts in the edge of my workbench in the garage, I hoist the back end up and hook the back of the rack over the bolts, leaving the wheel in the air. Then I just use the throttle to run the chain while I clean/lube it. I guess if your system has no throttle you'd just use the pedals to do the same thing.

Easiest solution I've found anyway. But I guess it requires a rack.

You might need to build/buy a center stand, I've done this for my dirt bikes before.

Just a simple pair of triangles for the sides with a platform on top suitable to support the bottom bracket/front of the swingarm, slightly behind the center of weight so the rear wheel is off the ground.
Thanks dustNbone. Nice to know I'm not missing something obvious.
Since posting this I've manage to solve the problem. I use a bicycle repair stand for other non-electric bikes but I didn't think it would take 30kgs. Anyway, I tried it and it did, so problem over :)
The best things in life are not things :)

Rassy   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Rassy » Apr 01 2018 3:46pm

My solution to the chain cleaning issue on my trikes equipped with BBS02 systems is to just tie the crank arm to the chain wheel with a zip tie. Then you can rotate the crank backwards the same as before for cleaning. Just be sure to cut off the zip tie before riding. :D
-Rassy-
One Tadpole Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=69419
One Delta Trike equipped with a Bafang BBS02
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1291260

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Apr 01 2018 7:18pm

Chain maintenance does require 3 passes, and the chain can be pulled by hand with a towel. First pass is sprayed with cleaner/degreaser (gunk or such), second is blown with air pressure from the compressor or dusting can, third is lubed. This maintenance does need to be repeated according to the riding conditions: Once a month riding dry pavement, once a week riding wet pavement, every second day riding dirt trails, every ride in mud.

Yet, you could just don’t care if you ride cheap stuff, and replace when needed. :wink:
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg