Backward Pedalling to clean chain

DaninSpain

100 mW
Hi.

I suspect I may be missing something here, but on every bike I have ever owned I have cleaned my chain with a chain cleaner by peddling backward to rotate the chain through the cleaner.

I have recently purchased my first electric bike (Frey AM1000), which I am very pleased with, but I just noticed when I pedal backward the chain doesn't move.

Can anyone point out my obvious mistake, or if no mistake am I looking at having to raise the rear wheel off the ground to clean the chain? If so, that's a bit of a pain as the bike weighs 30kg.

Thanks for any help.

That's just a fact of life with an integrated mid drive system like that. The pedals themselves are on their own freewheel, to allow them to remain stationary while the motor is running. Pedals stop, chainring (and chain) keeps moving.

I have a couple of small lag bolts in the edge of my workbench in the garage, I hoist the back end up and hook the back of the rack over the bolts, leaving the wheel in the air. Then I just use the throttle to run the chain while I clean/lube it. I guess if your system has no throttle you'd just use the pedals to do the same thing.

Easiest solution I've found anyway. But I guess it requires a rack.

You might need to build/buy a center stand, I've done this for my dirt bikes before.

Just a simple pair of triangles for the sides with a platform on top suitable to support the bottom bracket/front of the swingarm, slightly behind the center of weight so the rear wheel is off the ground.

dustNbone said:
That's just a fact of life with an integrated mid drive system like that. The pedals themselves are on their own freewheel, to allow them to remain stationary while the motor is running. Pedals stop, chainring (and chain) keeps moving.

I have a couple of small lag bolts in the edge of my workbench in the garage, I hoist the back end up and hook the back of the rack over the bolts, leaving the wheel in the air. Then I just use the throttle to run the chain while I clean/lube it. I guess if your system has no throttle you'd just use the pedals to do the same thing.

Easiest solution I've found anyway. But I guess it requires a rack.

You might need to build/buy a center stand, I've done this for my dirt bikes before.

Just a simple pair of triangles for the sides with a platform on top suitable to support the bottom bracket/front of the swingarm, slightly behind the center of weight so the rear wheel is off the ground.
Thanks dustNbone. Nice to know I'm not missing something obvious.
Since posting this I've manage to solve the problem. I use a bicycle repair stand for other non-electric bikes but I didn't think it would take 30kgs. Anyway, I tried it and it did, so problem over :)

Chain maintenance does require 3 passes, and the chain can be pulled by hand with a towel. First pass is sprayed with cleaner/degreaser (gunk or such), second is blown with air pressure from the compressor or dusting can, third is lubed. This maintenance does need to be repeated according to the riding conditions: Once a month riding dry pavement, once a week riding wet pavement, every second day riding dirt trails, every ride in mud.

Yet, you could just don’t care if you ride cheap stuff, and replace when needed. :wink:

Hello, off topic but was interested in your experience with you AM1000. I just received my AM1000 and not getting as many miles/Km per charge as I was hoping. Did your bike come with the 17 or 21 Amp hour battery? My first two rides were 40KM/25miles each an I had 25% battery left each time. Lots of hills and down hills about half and half on assist 3and 4. I ride for exercise and a view so lots of assistance to the motor. I guess I was expecting 50 miles or more or range with my 21 Amp hour battery! Can you share your experience as it relates to battery life?

Gidler said:
Hello, off topic but was interested in your experience with you AM1000. I just received my AM1000 and not getting as many miles/Km per charge as I was hoping. Did your bike come with the 17 or 21 Amp hour battery? My first two rides were 40KM/25miles each an I had 25% battery left each time. Lots of hills and down hills about half and half on assist 3and 4. I ride for exercise and a view so lots of assistance to the motor. I guess I was expecting 50 miles or more or range with my 21 Amp hour battery! Can you share your experience as it relates to battery life?

That range sounds about right with hilly terrain. You would get what you hoped for on flat and going no faster than 20mph.

Also, Ah means nothing, Wh says something.

So long as the voltage range is known, Ah is a much better measure than Wh for both storage capacity and energy usage over time.

So long as the voltage range is known, Ah is a much better measure than Wh for both storage capacity and energy usage over time.

I agree. I've been told to go with Wh lots of times for it's meaning across different voltage systems, but all my systems and those I've done for others are 48 volt systems. So trying to explain what's what to someone that really doesn't care but is interested in recharge times and range, etc. just getting them to understand how to work with amps and Ah is about all they need.

Wh is great for consistency though, when there are multiple circuits at different voltages, or conversion / inversion / rectification etc are involved.

So long as Ah is the canonical direct measure, and Wh the derived result.

Back