[assistance needed] Newbie build - Hardtail 1500w Leafmotor Hot-Rodding

EnJay

1 µW
Hi guys,

Happy easter to you all!

I may need some assistance from you deciding on some parts for my build. Any help is really appreciated!

About me
I´m coming from the petrol motorcycle and car tuning/modding guys and I frocking love the potential electric builds can have.

Thats why I decided to start a light enduro build with a hardtail MTB frame. As I love mdifying and tuning vehicles a 1500w leafbike build seems to be the perfect start.

I have quite a bit of experiance in the mechanical department, but no experiance building an electric vehicle. But I do know my way around with a soldering iron, arduino programming and the basic electrical things.

What I have - Base
As base for my build I would like to use my Corratec XVert 26" MTB
Its a hardtail with hydraulic discs and a steel frame. So it should be suitable for such a build?!

corratec_xvert.jpg

What I want
Basic idea is to have a light enduro motorcycle like bicylce. As I live not far from the alps hills can be present

So the bike should be more torque oriented than speed.

-Cruising speed of 30kph (~20mph) and a top speed of 50kph (~30mph) schould be okay (at least for now).
-I dont need that much range. 50km (30miles) with cruising speed or lower and pedaling schould be enough (on hilly terrain a lot less less)
- Budget wise... I honestly don´t know. I would like to stay on some budget :wink: I´m a bit of a cheapskate, but willing to spend money on more fun

As I love modding and I´m a cheapskate I would like to modify cheak china things to be awesome where it makes sense.
So in the end I would like to have the Leafbike motor cooled with FF pumping a lot of amps

Parts I need

Now it gets interesting and to the part where I may need some help to choose the right parts.

Motor:
Leafbike 1500W - as I need torque I should choose a higher turn count version, right? Would that be a 5T?
There isn´t another better alternative regarding tuning potential than this motor at the moment, right?
Is there a source in europe for this motor? Or is the only option still ordering it from leafbike with the desired options?
Is there anything else I should specify when ordering their "upgraded" version?

Batteries:
Seems to be a bit of the main problem right now. Help in this department would be nice.

As I live in a flat I´m a bit concerned regarding li-po fires. So I kinda would like to have the extra security of LiFePo4 batteries.

Voltage - I´m that far, that min 48V is probably a must
Capacity - I don´t need that much for range, but as I need high amperage for torque. I think something like 10-15Ah should be enough when using high C-rating batteries.

I kinda like the idea using RC-Batteries, but I´m bit concerned regarding safety. The hobbyking multistar seem to be quite good?!?
Are there any good LiFePo alternatives?

The headway cells are a bit too big, I really like the A123 cells, but they are so f**** expensive...

I have no batterie welder, but arduinos and if I find the perfect (cheap) cell I would be willing to weld ...

Controller:
Sine-wave is the way to go. I like the silence

There seem to be sine wave controller from china. Are there any that can stand up to high currents and is programmable? As mentioned I am willing to modify.
I quite like the Adaptto Controllers, but they are too expensive new, maybe I can find one used for a good price in the EU?!?

Thats the general plan.

I hope someone is able to push me in the right direction, so I won´t buy too many wrong parts...

If there is anything I should be aware of like things that can go wrong or parts that wont fit - please notify me...

I hope I will learn a lot with this build.
If there are any good/cheap ressources in Germany/the EU for parts - I would be glad if I can get some links...

Thanks a lot for your help!

With 12s lipo at mid charge
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html?bopen=false&motor=Leaf%205T&batt=cust_46_0.1_10&axis=mph&cont=C35&throt=63&hp=0

Wait a second...

The Grin E-bike Sim has the leaf motor? :shock:

Holy shit, why didn´t I notice that.

Playing a bit with the sim, it looks like thats exactly what I want. Runs about 50 kph and has a nice range under 30kph.

The leafbike 1500W 5T with a 48-52V and about 10Ah battery pack. Looks like this will be it.
I wasn´t far off with my estimations..

Back