Schwalbe Airless Tires

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Hehe... ESB "Search found 15 matches: Schwalbe Airless"... but not THESE Schwalbes...

Schwalbe Takes Airless Tyres To Next Level:
http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends...be-takes-airless-tyres-to-next-level-10133030

Bike-Eufrope-Schwalbe-Airless-272x240.jpg

8)

I started running a Tannus tire on the rear last year. It's about half the weight of the Schwalbe e-bike tire plus Slime tube I had on it before.

oldwahoo54 said:
I started running a Tannus tire on the rear last year. It's about half the weight of the Schwalbe e-bike tire plus Slime tube I had on it before.

How is the ride? Old airless tires were very harsh.

Any other drawbacks?

The top speed will drop and it might feel softer then i'd prefer but having no flats for the life of the tire is pretty damn hard to resist. My next tire purchase might be a set of these .

From link - Schwalbe’s Airless System tyres offer a lifetime of some 10,000 kilometers at regular use without maintenance. With a ride feel of 3.5 bar / 50 psi

Caught a nail in the first week of putting on Schwalbe lansdcruisers with some thick tubes. Luckily it didn't leak until I got home. So far two months without a flat , not that good :D

With English subtitles.

[youtube]76YAK1b5YSc[/youtube]

:D

Those would be great for my EZIPs. I've never had a flat, but it's physically hard for me to add air every few weeks - I have to use a low lawn chair. What is the weight rating for the airless tires?

“ Schwalbe’s Airless System consists of a 40-622 sized tyre, an Airless tube of white thermoplastic polyurethane and a blue Airless ring. This ring ensures compatibility of the system with different rim sizes. The system is suitable for rims with a rim width of 19 to 21 millimeters. “

AWESOME!!!
Won't have to pay $1 anymore for "free" air at the corner gas station! Heck, wont have to check my tire pressures every week either! Hope they make these in sizes for kids bikes,... could never keep up on kids bikes. :?
They'll likely be too costly for the "Big Box" buyers,... cheaper to jus get a low cost skin and tube next to the bike rack. Or jus get another bargain bike of the rack istself!!! :roll:

Surely they'll cushion rims plenty for most others,... AND NO MORE FLATS!!!! Could be a big hit in the market today!!!

eCue said:
The top speed will drop and it might feel softer then i'd prefer but having no flats for the life of the tire is pretty damn hard to resist. My next tire purchase might be a set of these .

From link - Schwalbe’s Airless System tyres offer a lifetime of some 10,000 kilometers at regular use without maintenance. With a ride feel of 3.5 bar / 50 psi

Caught a nail in the first week of putting on Schwalbe lansdcruisers with some thick tubes. Luckily it didn't leak until I got home. So far two months without a flat , not that good :D

I've had a Schwalbe Big Apple and Schwalbe Tubes around the rim of my DD Hub for 2yrs now,.... took a HUGE 3"x1 1/4" industrial staple into the tread last year. Somehow the sharp chisel point deflected on the well inflated carcass and exited the sidewall looking like it was stapled from the inside!!! But no critical penetration, no leak, no serious damage but for the two puncture cuts that I watch closely for any signs of impending failure,... but none for worse yet. Yup,.. 2ys of glass shards, sand spurs, goatheads, pot-holes, and assorted road-shoulder junk,... and not a flat or failure yet!

So I'm not so sure I'll try these before another Big Apple or one of their other quality tires. Besides, hear it takes special equipment to install 'em anyway. Heck, gotta ping spokes every week and check bolts and cables and such,... checkin' air pressure isn't much more.
But they look like they are MUCH improved over past semi-pneumatic or solid tires.

fechter said:
oldwahoo54 said:

How is the ride? Old airless tires were very harsh.

Any other drawbacks?

I guess it's a tad harder but not objectionable. Main problem was I started breaking spokes. The wheel had about 5K miles on it at that point and I found that the spoke tension was not very even all around. Adjusted that but continued breaking spokes, but I think the rate of breakage is decreasing. At the time I was also occasionally carrying an extra 30 lbs cargo on the back, which I'm sure didn't help. I do wonder if it's going to last the claimed 5K miles.

The original Bike EU report did say "Schwalbe claims that it offers puncture free riding and is also capable to easily handle the higher speeds and weights of e-bikes"... and "Schwalbe’s Airless System tyres offer a lifetime of some 10,000 kilometers"... Mmmm... "higher speeds"... Mmmm... 8)

oldwahoo54 said:
Main problem was I started breaking spokes. The wheel had about 5K miles on it at that point and I found that the spoke tension was not very even all around. Adjusted that but continued breaking spokes, but I think the rate of breakage is decreasing.

It has everything to do with how an airless tire distributes loads versus a pneumatic tire. With a foam sausage (airless tire), all the the applied weight sits directly on the section of rim over the tire's contract patch. A pneumatic tire is pretensioned, so the force of that applied weight is distributed all around the wheel, greatly reducing local maximum stresses. A pneumatic tire works like suspension for your wheels, but an airless tire is just a bumper.

Your experience of wheel problems is typical. Every time I see a foam tire equipped wheel, it's been beaten until the rim is flat spotted and out of true, and the spokes are loose.

The airless tire is not that appealing to me anymore ,it sounds somewhat like trading a minor problem for a major one.
As it is have not lost a spoke in 20 years rarely need to true the wheels once the spokes are sufficiently tight. I would say I need to true my wheels about every decade.

DRMousseau said:
Won't have to pay $1 anymore for "free" air at the corner gas station! Heck, wont have to check my tire pressures every week either! Hope they make these in sizes for kids bikes,... could never keep up on kids bikes. :?

They'll likely be too costly for the "Big Box" buyers,... cheaper to jus get a low cost skin and tube next to the bike rack. Or jus get another bargain bike of the rack istself!!! :roll:

Ha ha. Some of my neighbors must think like that. One of them threw out a Schwinn mountainous bike because it had two flats. I snagged it before the scrappers found it. Patched the flats and it's in my garage waiting for a motor install. I've got a $200 kit lined up for it. Cheap ebike.

I love my Schwalbe tires. I have 700x25c Durano Plus Smartguard tires on my single-speed and 26"x47 Energizer Plus HS 427 tires on my FS MTB. They have both held up great to the worst that Atlanta streets have been able to throw at them. I can't imagine the trade-offs of going airless would be worth it when such great tubed tires exist.

Back