Tdpro "brainpower" motor controller help

danielkr

1 mW
Hi,

I'm no stranger to wiring motor controllers for e-bike. It's a 48v 1800w brushless motor controller ebay item # 302254514683. On this controller, I have shorted power lock, this gets the right things turned on; connected throttle, measured for correct operation; halls and phase wires connected, no go from motor at all. i measured halls while turning the wheel by hand and all three (blue/yellow/green) read 4.9v, the red reads 4.6v, and black 0. But the three are reading 4.98v all the time, at the same time; so i disconnected the wheel and meausred them again, and still all the hall wires read the same voltage. one of the brake connectors ( I believe to be the one I connect to the handle) reads 4.98v on one pin and battery voltage from the other, I thought this was strange also.

Other connectors are labeled "stall" and "gear inverter" which are both 3-wire with a ground as the center wire and the outside wires 4.98v; i've tried shorting each of these to ground nothing changes. also of course has brake, brake indicator connectors (not currently connected). I'm hoping that the fact that the three sensor return wires on the controller are reading voltage will tip someone off to what exactly I'm doing wrong or if the thing is just bad out of the box. Hope this is the right forum section, this didn't really seem to technical and it's a bike.

Thanks,

Daniel

Many brain cells will be wasted tonight and tomorrow.

However this product can help and is good to have, but not absolutely necessary.
https://em3ev.com/shop/ebike-tester/

John in CR can connect the right combo's of halls and phases blindfolded.

OK Now for some troubleshooting.

I would visually inspect the wires coming out of the axle all the way to the controller.
Inspect throttle cables.

Next up is to perhaps troubleshoot the throttle.
http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/ThrottleTesting.pdf

Here is a list: Testing for Blown Mosfets, Repairing a defective hall sensor, Testing for a Defective Hall Sensor, Removing a motor stator from the hub, and two others that may or may not apply Pinout Guide, Grin Connector Guide.
All found here.
http://www.ebikes.ca/learn/troubleshooting.html

Eleckart said:

danielkr said:

danielkr said:
Hi,

I'm no stranger to wiring motor controllers for e-bike. It's a 48v 1800w brushless motor controller ebay item # 302254514683. On this controller, I have shorted power lock Actually the lock goes to your battery positive usually, this gets the right things turned on ok then that is good; connected throttle, measured for correct operation what did you measure?; halls and phase wires connected they need to be both connected in the right way of the different combinations, no go from motor at all. That the hall/phase combo's are your problem i measured halls while turning the wheel by hand and all three (blue/yellow/green) read 4.9v, the red reads 4.6v, and black 0. They should be changing, and yes sometimes both come on, sometimes one comes on, atleast from my ebike tester thingy from em3ev. So as you rotate the wheel, different voltages will come on then off in a certain combo, and that combo doesnt chage if you spin the wheel so you can clearly see them changing But the three are reading 4.98v all the time that is not good, they should go on and off in the same order all the time, at the same time; so i disconnected the wheel and meausred them again, and still all the hall wires read the same voltage. There is your problem! one of the brake connectors ( I believe to be the one I connect to the handle) reads 4.98v on one pin and battery voltage from the other, I thought this was strange also. maybe that is the issue, the brake lever cutting off your juice

Other connectors are labeled "stall" and "gear inverter" which are both 3-wire Never seen or paid attention to thosewith a ground as the center wire and the outside wires 4.98v; i've tried shorting each of these to ground nothing changes. there might be your problem shorting them, I blew my throttle when I did thatalso of course has brake, brake indicator connectors (not currently connected). I'm hoping that the fact that the three sensor return wires you could have blown a hall sensor, wires could be shortedon the controller are reading voltage will tip someone off to what exactly I'm doing wrong or if the thing is just bad out of the box. Hope this is the right forum section, this didn't really seem to technical and it's a bike.

Thanks,

Daniel

I'm looking at this controller again tonight next to a stack of those hybrid bus cells and thinking of having another go at it. Thanks markz I'll let you know how it turns out.

Daniel

Looking at the ebay pics, they labeled the red power wire "negative" and the black wire "positive". I wouldn't be asking the seller for a lot of help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48V-1800W-Brushless-Controller-Unit-for-Electric-ATV-Go-Kart-Scooter-E-Bike/302254514683?hash=item465fc5e1fb:g:HR0AAOSwzcpbRxra

Rotating the wheel and checking voltages on the hall wires works for a direct motor spun in any direction. If it is a geared motor, you gotta spin it backwards as the clutch freewheels if spun forward..

docw009 said:
Looking at the ebay pics, they labeled the red power wire "negative" and the black wire "positive". I wouldn't be asking the seller for a lot of help.

It's possible the batch they got is actually wired that way. Goldenmotor did this for an early Magic Pie, and then put stickers on the leads to mark them because they knew it was opposite of what they should be, but didn't bother fixing it...so at least a few (probably a lot) of systems were destroyed on first plugin. :/

Back