GoPed electric assist kit

v_tach

100 W
GoPed has a new product for bicycles. Its a 400 watt friction drive unit all in one tidy package. Comes with an 8Ah LiPo pack. Wonder how the friction drive will do in wet conditions? Going for about $799 as I understand it.

http://www.goped.com/Products/GoBike/default.asp

CloseUp1copy.jpg

go-bike-kit.jpg

I think you already know the answer to that one. For $800 we can buy a real motor kit. Guess that sounds a bit rough now that I read it again. Sorry but everything that I have ever had that was friction drive wore out tires and rollers rather quickly as well as slipped in the rain. I live in Oregon the ever present rain + dirt equals extremely rapid friction component wear. Might be OK someplace dry?

Of course, 90% of ebike riders won't be riding in the rain. Funny how some ideas just won't die, like friction drive. But it does have it's virtures. Real good for those who plan to use the power assist on onlly a small portion of a ride. But I'd rather have a bafang for that than that thing.

IMO Friction drive is a concept that lends itself to low price, and $800 is a little steep for that. It's light and simple, and very turnkey, but for $800 you could get the Nine Cont kit from ebikes.ca with 36v Nicads, plug in CA, and considerably more speed and range. And you can ride it in the rain.

If it was $400 on the other hand...

Man,
Youz guyz are tough!

Sorry, quality Lipo just costs.

It works excellent in the rain,
Weighs only 15 lbs total,
Carries up to 175 lbs,
Has on board int'l smart charger,
Programmable controller,
Battery condition "Flux capacitor"
Fits most existing bikes including 20" BMX and many full suspension mountain bikes, no modification necessary.
Drive clicks up for free wheel,
Quick disconnects for security/off bike charging,
Carries like a brief case,
American made by a company with 20+ years established parts/service/warranty experience.

I hope that helps with the perceived value.

PatmontS said:
Man,
Youz guyz are tough!

Sorry, quality Lipo just costs.

It works excellent in the rain,
Weighs only 15 lbs total,
Carries up to 175 lbs,
Has on board int'l smart charger,
Programmable controller,
Battery condition "Flux capacitor"
Fits most existing bikes including 20" BMX and many full suspension mountain bikes, no modification necessary.
Drive clicks up for free wheel,
Quick disconnects for security/off bike charging,
Carries like a brief case,
American made by a company with 20+ years established parts/service/warranty experience.

I hope that helps with the perceived value.
I like it 8) Are you able to upgrade it to 16ah? How long will the brushes and roller last?

Whew!
Thanks maydaverave, I was beginning to worry.

We decided to go for the lightest and sleekest combination, so as designed, there's no additional room for more batteries in the compartment.
However........... it can carry additional energy storage up to 175 lbs on the rack for whoever has a DIY bug.

The motor is a well proven Ebike motor and a favorite with many Ebike dealers due to its reliability. Though we don't have the motor priced separately yet, it will not be too expensive to replace together with the drive roller as one part number should that ever be necessary.
We expect several thousands of trouble free miles.

Everybody always has an opinion. Though I understand some of the concerns that have been posted, only real-world experience will reveal if this new product is a success. I have confidence that PMW would not have introduced such a product unless it delivered as promised.

The more I look at it Steve, the more it grows on me. Especially when I think about lugging my heavy hub motor setup up and down steps and loading it into the back of my truck.

I agreed with all the critical posts until Pat explained it. Ya 8 ah of Lithium does cost -- IF it has a solid warranty. The world and my basement is full of short lived Lithium. The light weight, removeability, chargability and flexibility all are meaningful. Especially just around town or campus. If this puppy can do some distance and hills please tell us about it with first hand experience.

Thanks for the interest Nimbuzz,

We now have hundreds of lithium Ion polymer powered scooter units in the field with happy customers and over two years experience with our Lipo battery technology. Knock wood, but excellent and very reliable results to date. This gave us the confidence to recently diversify into the more competitive Ebike side.
In "turbo" mode, our GoBike Power Rack will gently accelerate an average weight person (170 lbs) on any bicycle up an 8 deg slope from a dead stop.
Our real world range testing shows we get about 1 mile per amp our (8 miles) in "Turbo" at 18 mph on level ground without pedaling or about 12 miles at 12 mph in "Econo" mode.
Helping the motor by pedaling the bicycle as designed can double that very easily, as well as greatly increase hill climbing capability.

I hope this answers your good questions.

Steve, sounds pretty cool. What about the tire wear issues some have brought up -- again real world testing please. 2) Can the motor unit really follow the flex of a rear suspension bike?

thanks,
Al

Steve, very clean design. It probably won't be competitive in a roadrace with other ebike solutions, but may compete well in the marketplace. Although the price does seem a little high.

But it interests me. I'd like to be able to take my bike on the public transport -- light rail -- and my current ride is just too heavy to take onto a crowded train at rush hour. With the light weight of the system, its range and speed, it just might fit the mission.

The website offers a user manual, but the file is missing. That would be really great to see, it would likely answer my questions.

Nimbuzz said:
Steve, sounds pretty cool. What about the tire wear issues some have brought up -- again real world testing please. 2) Can the motor unit really follow the flex of a rear suspension bike?

thanks,
Al

Al,
Tire wear is increased with this design (not yet quantified), but luckily replacement bicycle tires are not too expensive.
As the motor unit is mounted to a spring loaded swing arm to optimise proper friction, it naturally follows a suspended rear wheel. This also provides for a simple latch out for free wheeling whenever desired.

SamSpeed said:
Steve, very clean design.
The website offers a user manual, but the file is missing. That would be really great to see, it would likely answer my questions.

SamSpeed,
Thanks for the kind words.
The owner's manual PDF will be posted in the next few days.

I like the idea of an "all in one" ebike solution. If goped has perfected any technology it is friction drive and the rubber it kisses up to. Steve, I'll be ordering a few. 15lbs is what most hubs weigh. Does the "one bolt release" require and tools? PM sent BTW

Smoker said:
I like the idea of an "all in one" ebike solution. If goped has perfected any technology it is friction drive and the rubber it kisses up to. Steve, I'll be ordering a few. 15lbs is what most hubs weigh. Does the "one bolt release" require and tools?
Smoker,
An allen key which is part of the kit is used one time to securely clamp three stainless steel socket head cap screws in the universal seat post clamp. The rack height/adjusting portion of the clamp is secured with an adjustable quick release lever so the owner can remove the GoBike Power Rack without tools.

Back